Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Ultra Transmission oil leaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 05:29 PM
TomL
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Ultra Transmission oil leaking

Hello,
I have an unusual leak issue and would like to know if anyone else has experienced it and what might be the fix. The one is a seal possibly but the other, well read on.

Here goes; I have been using Syn3 in the trans for a few years now, recently I have heard what sounds like a bearing growl, maybe a wheel bearing kind of noise but does not emit from the front, possible the rear. Any way I changed all oils, motor,primary,trans. In the trans I went to Valvoline 85/90 full syn, I am pretty sure the growl is not there or is quieter now but now I have a leak around the inner shift shaft and, get this, the trans oil is traveling up the clutch cable on the inside til it reaches the adjuster under the rubber bellows then coming back down on the outside of the cable and all over the brake line/wires/clutch cable housing on the cam chest side of the motor. These leaks were not present before the trans oil change, the ground/garage floor never had a oil drip ever. The oil level in the primary housing is not growing and the motor oil is not going lower. I mention this as I was told the sprocket shaft seal is leaking and pressurizing the primary housing which in turn is pressurizing the trans, which has a vent and is not slobbering wet by any means! It is open, tested it. Perhaps the trans just does not like the 85/90? Any input greatly appreciated. Tom