Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a Garage Door Transmitter in a 2014 Ultra Limited

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 02:42 PM
wlibert
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Updated instructions can be found at the link below:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J05688.pdf

Old 11-27-2013, 04:01 PM
dad311
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great stuff, but whats wrong with a windshield bag and a remote?

Old 11-27-2013, 07:44 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dad311
Nothing wrong with "old school" but it can be better.

someone steals remote and registration and have access to your stuff.

come home and starts raining be in garage without stopping

no dead battery in remote

no remote to drop

a ton of reasons not to spend the money, but i have had it since 2000 and won't be without. Mike

Old 11-28-2013, 06:34 AM
sunderhill
Road Master

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by dad311
Has worked for me for years....oooopps...did change the battery last week

Old 11-28-2013, 09:11 AM
Boltsfaninmo
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the 14's you can put the clicker/opener in the faring compartment atop the foam cradle. You can even put the iphone in the cradle at the same time. Get home, push door open, click button, door opens. No need to even stop. Only negative is if you leave the opener in compartment all the time, someone could steal it.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:45 AM
dusturbd
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I should have taken pics of install but I didn't. I got a Genie remote off ebay 15.00 shipped. It is a 12v remote so I soldered a wire to each battery post and tied them into the power to the hidden antenna.
Next I soldered two wire to a small momentary switch and into the remote at the activation button.
I velcroed it to the plate on top of the radio.
I do have pic of where I installed my button.

Attached Thumbnails Installing a Garage Door Transmitter in a 2014 Ultra Limited-003.jpg  
Old 01-03-2014, 09:05 PM
Smokee
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Garage door key. Carried in my jeans pocket. No battery, no code, no wiring, no problem. :-)

Old 01-05-2014, 07:06 AM
Taranwanderer
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Axegrinder
For those of you who aren't clear on how to wire your garage door transmitter to your 14..
The transmitter I have has four wires to it. Orange/white, black, white, and yellow. You don't need to buy the Harley adapter plug others have mentioned here or go through all the trouble of running the wires under the tank. Everything can be done in the fairing.

First I stripped some of the black sheathing from the transmitter wires so I could run the different color wires different directions and used two sided tape to fasten the transmitter with the circuit side up to the top of the bracket that holds the stereo. Picture 4

Picture 1... I stripped some of the sheathing off of the wires that go to the cig lighter at a junction point

Pic 2..a different farther away picture of the two wires I used from the cig lighter/power port for power and ground so you can see in the fairing where they are.

I hooked the orange/white/power wire on the transmitter to the purple/power wire of the cig lighter.

Then the black/ground wire of the transmitter to the black/ground wire of the cig lighter.

Picture 3 is of the headlight plug. If you look at the wires going to the headlight there is a blue/white wire. Hook the white wire on the transmitter to this wire

Then find the blue/yellow wire right beside it and hook the yellow wire from the transmitter to it...

It is just that easy and the opener will work when you go to high beam then back to low like on the older bikes or if you just press down to the passing flasher that flashes the high beam...
I like this reply best so far, but I'm wondering as someone mentioned earlier--by wiring it this way, is your opener transmitting all the time that your hi beams are on? I would think that would wear the sucker out. Has anyone tied it into their horn button? a much less often used, and only momentary switch, that would seem to be a better option than the hi beams. Pull up to the garage door, beep the horn, and voila! Yes???

Old 01-05-2014, 08:36 AM
Harleyman53
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Armstronges
It's my understanding that the 14 Limiteds already have the garage door transmitter built into the headlights. Might want to check on that.
Has anyone confirmed this? I'm very interested.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:20 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

No, it is only on the switching it activates for a burst. I can sit in the garage with the high beams on and not open the door but if you switch hi-lo it opens. Only cvo bikes are equipped, others optional. Mike

Quick Reply: Installing a Garage Door Transmitter in a 2014 Ultra Limited