Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a Garage Door Transmitter in a 2014 Ultra Limited

Old 01-05-2014, 01:31 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

I had The factory opener installed by my dealer on my 14 Limited. Love the way it works. Flip the high beam, low beam switch and the door opens.

My dealer went into the dealer tech to factory site for the instructions.
It did take a additional wire harness. Had them install the XM module at the same time.

Recommend that you sync the bikes sending unit to the receiver before installing to your opener. Makes the job a ten minute procedure.

Again; you will love having the factory opener. I had one on my 07 and it never had a problem. Works flawless. Congratulations on your 14 Limited purchase. I love mine.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:40 PM
Devo6684
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dusturbd
I should have taken pics of install but I didn't. I got a Genie remote off ebay 15.00 shipped. It is a 12v remote so I soldered a wire to each battery post and tied them into the power to the hidden antenna.
Next I soldered two wire to a small momentary switch and into the remote at the activation button.
I velcroed it to the plate on top of the radio.
I do have pic of where I installed my button.
This is exactly what I did. Works great

Old 01-28-2014, 05:37 PM
scarin
Cruiser

Some of the posts mention adding a momentary switch to control the remote and with the 14s there are plenty of spaces for said switches. Does anyone know of switches made for Harley applications that fit the holes and match the look of the bike.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:45 AM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by scarin
Some of the posts mention adding a momentary switch to control the remote and with the 14s there are plenty of spaces for said switches. Does anyone know of switches made for Harley applications that fit the holes and match the look of the bike.
This is what I was wondering

Old 02-05-2014, 01:48 PM
texaspirate
Road Captain

Nice thread. I purchase the 91558-01B kit and spare transmitter 91561-01B to install on my 14 SGS and 07 Ultra. After reading that the 07 required several splices and the 14 a separate harness and splice. I pretty much said screw that!

I ended up purchasing the 91569-01 key fob transmitter(s). I connected it to my security fob for each bike. They work fine, no big deal to access once I pull up to the garage and no fumbling since it hanging from my belt loop.

I just did not want to splice into the factory wiring just to be a little more convenient. Just my opinion.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:16 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by scarin
Update

I went to the stealer yesterday and checked on the switch to fit in the '14 slots. They didn't have the monetary switches but they could probably get them since the CVO baggers use them for the lock/unlock of the bags. The only switch they had was the toggle switch as used for the spotlight. They have that same switch blank though without the spotlight symbol on it.

They were really trying to talk me into the kit... $170 for the kit, $37 for the harness, and 2-3 hrs labor @ $110hr. I told him he was crazy. For some reason he couldn't see how I could make a garage opener with a switch without Harley's module. I'm sure he just didn't want to see it...ANIMALS

Old 02-05-2014, 03:21 PM
TZG18FLTRU
Road Captain

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That Harley Acc switch is part 69200172-$50-60 bucks for a switch. Speedo thing with boot-$12.00 bucks.
I'm going to wire my fog lights I pulled off my 08 SG but wire the speedo switch with a relay. Don't want high current going thru it. I'll eventually buy the acc switch but since I just bought the 2014 SG the wife has me under a microscope.
I will be tapping into the headlight for power. I dont need plug and play.

Last edited by TZG18FLTRU; 02-05-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:21 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by texaspirate
Nice thread. I purchase the 91558-01B kit and spare transmitter 91561-01B to install on my 14 SGS and 07 Ultra. After reading that the 07 required several splices and the 14 a separate harness and splice. I pretty much said screw that!

I ended up purchasing the 91569-01 key fob transmitter(s). I connected it to my security fob for each bike. They work fine, no big deal to access once I pull up to the garage and no fumbling since it hanging from my belt loop.

I just did not want to splice into the factory wiring just to be a little more convenient. Just my opinion.
Did you have to use the Harley receiver?

Old 09-19-2014, 06:37 PM
roadman62
Stage I

The instructions are quite confusing.
what you need to do is,
1.) connect the extra black wire from the kit to the short black wire on the transmitter
2.) pull the white wire on the transmitter out of theblack casing
3.) the orange/white wire connects to the blue/violet wire on the harness (69200722)
4.) the black wire connects to the black wire on the harness (69200722)
the red wire is not used
5.) the white wire connects to the blue/white hi beam wire on the plug that plugs into the headlight.
6.) the harness plugs into the gray plug on the left side of the bike behind the side panel

Old 09-21-2014, 07:19 AM
logical
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I built my house, each of the two garage door openers I installed came with three remotes each. Some are basically keychain size but still have capability to open either door. With the new 2014 saddle bag latch design, I thought it would be a whole lot easier to just Velcro one to the inside upper front wall of the right bag. No wire, zero cost and while I don't recommend it to anyone I can reach back and get at it while riding up my driveway.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing a Garage Door Transmitter in a 2014 Ultra Limited