Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a Garage Door Transmitter in a 2014 Ultra Limited

Old 09-17-2013, 08:32 AM
ThisIsCrazy
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by barrygreen
Black is ground, Orange White is power, Yellow is low beam and White is high beam.
Wired like this it will not work on my '14 SGS but it did on my '13 Switchback.
When I get home this evening I'll look at the updated instructions for 2014 models that the dealer printed out. It mentioned what to do with the yellow wire but my transmitter didn't have a yellow wire so I ignored it. I'll let you know.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:45 AM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisIsCrazy
When I get home this evening I'll look at the updated instructions for 2014 models that the dealer printed out. It mentioned what to do with the yellow wire but my transmitter didn't have a yellow wire so I ignored it. I'll let you know.
Cool, thank you

Old 09-17-2013, 09:11 AM
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are making this too complicated.
Get a 12vdc opener and wire tap it into the high beam wire at the headlight.
To open the door, just hit the high beam switch on and off.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:18 AM
ThisIsCrazy
Cruiser

And then whenever your high beams are on while driving at night, your garage door opener is transmitting and I'm not sure what that will do to the life of that thing. Also, if you have any electrical problems and the dealer sees that they will try to void your warranty. They are bastards like that.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:29 AM
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisIsCrazy
And then whenever your high beams are on while driving at night, your garage door opener is transmitting and I'm not sure what that will do to the life of that thing. Also, if you have any electrical problems and the dealer sees that they will try to void your warranty. They are bastards like that.
When the high beams are on it pulses the opener one time, doesn't keep it on all the time.
Sounds like you need to change dealers.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:42 AM
ThisIsCrazy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 2009
When the high beams are on it pulses the opener one time, doesn't keep it on all the time.
Sounds like you need to change dealers.
To each there own. For me a different dealer is 3 hours away. Your opener might be different but the stock I received from Overhead Door transmitted the entire time you press the button.

Last edited by ThisIsCrazy; 09-17-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:48 AM
tlar1540
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow.. After reading through this thread, I'm happy that I opted for the "Flash to Pass" one, was very simple to install & can be removed just as quick in case any warranty work is needed or I sell the bike... Good luck with the install..

Old 09-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Being new, I don't understand why tie it to the high beam instead of a momentary auxiliary switch?

Old 09-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustrtal
Being new, I don't understand why tie it to the high beam instead of a momentary auxiliary switch?
Especially since there are so many more aux switch locations on '14's. I think the answer lies in the fact that many don't have any understanding of switches, wiring, and...well...electrical stuff. They want something plug and play. You can't even say the "high beam" kit is neccesary for riders w/o fairings, as several guys on this forum installed a Harley odometer button onto the side of their dash on tank. Here is a very well done instructional thread w/pics on how a guy used the water proof Harley odometer reset button/switch to hide a button in his inner fairing:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...with-pics.html

Post #82 shows a pic of it being done on a tank dash. Several posts in the thread show it being installed in other places on inner fairing, using an unused auxiliary spot on a batwing dash, using a side cover, the side of a bag lid, and using an existing hole in frame right under the seat that is easy to get to.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:53 AM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by tlar1540
Wow.. After reading through this thread, I'm happy that I opted for the "Flash to Pass" one, was very simple to install & can be removed just as quick in case any warranty work is needed or I sell the bike... Good luck with the install..
Flash to pass one?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing a Garage Door Transmitter in a 2014 Ultra Limited