Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jiffy Stand leg stop question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 11:48 AM
semiret
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Jiffy Stand leg stop question

When my bike is on the jiffy stand, the stand in angled slightly to the rear.

I don't have a means of posting a picture, so I'll try to explain that.

When I put the stand down, it is perpendicular to the bike. If the bike wants to roll forward, it can a little bit so the stand ends up pointing towards the back of the bike. It's never gone down, (except the first time I lowered it off my newly purchased jack) but it is a bit disconcerting

I've started parking while in gear (I used to always be in neutral) to get around this.

My question is:
- Has anyone found a way to modify the jiffy stand stop so the stand goes a bit more forward?

Thanks

Old 08-27-2013, 11:53 AM
nchogfan
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've thought and wondered the same thing but have just learned to live with it. The only thing I can see to do is remove the locking plate on top of the stand (while the bike is on the jack of course), weld a small buildup on the front edge and grind away a bit of the back side so that it will rotate the stand slightly more forwards.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:55 AM
FXDWG12
Road Master

Well first off, my stand has something like a cog that will not let the arm retract unless you take the weight of the bike off of it. So you could literally push the bike forward and drag the stand.

Is it possible that your stand is rotated just a bit? Or maybe the cog is worn down?

Old 08-27-2013, 11:59 AM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Not really sure what your problem is. When the little tab goes in the slot when weight of bike is applied the jiffy stand can't collapse as it is locked in that position. In my opinion where the stand is now make it's easier to reach forward with you foot to put it back in the stowed position.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:04 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

It's funny as hell when you park by someone whose never had a Harley and experienced "the roll", and get off and watch em try to catch your bike cause they think its falling. LMAO!!!!!

Old 08-27-2013, 12:10 PM
semiret
Tourer

weld a small buildup on the front edge and grind away a bit of the back side so that it will rotate the stand slightly more forwards
I thought of that, but that takes skill. In my hands, a welder is a great way to cut holes

Is it possible that your stand is rotated just a bit? Or maybe the cog is worn down?
I bought the bike new and it's always done this. In fact, I took it to the dealership and they said "it's normal"

I don't recall my 2009 RK (I traded it in on this one) doing this.

Actually, I wonder if there is a place that sells replacement stops that are cut at a slightly different angle (like nchogfan suggests)

Old 08-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Fat Mike
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
It's funny as hell when you park by someone whose never had a Harley and experienced "the roll", and get off and watch em try to catch your bike cause they think its falling. LMAO!!!!!
It's funny now! But not when it first happen to me.

The wife weighs in about 120. She still panics and grabs it! ...LMAO... I told her, let it go. If it falls on you, my fat old azz may not be able to get it off you....

Old 08-27-2013, 12:32 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat Mike
It's funny now! But not when it first happen to me.

The wife weighs in about 120. She still panics and grabs it! ...LMAO... I told her, let it go. If it falls on you, my fat old azz may not be able to get it off you....
Yeah it got me too on my first one. The look on their faces is just hilarious.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:22 PM
BOSOXFan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always had sport bikes until this month. The first time I put the stand down on my SGI about freaked out! I am sure it was hilarious to any Harley owners in the area. Today was the first time I felt confident turning the handle bars in the opposite direction while it was parked (had to access a screw to remove the fairing).

Old 08-27-2013, 02:28 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I trust nothing to hold up a 950 lb bike. That little tab can sheer-off, maybe not easily, but with repeated abuse it happens. That's why I always park in gear and let the engine hold the bike. It's a no-brainer.

Quick Reply: Jiffy Stand leg stop question