Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS recommendations?

Old 08-29-2013, 03:06 PM
desertwolf
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Default GPS recommendations?

Looking for GPS recommendations for use with a 13 Ultra Limited. Looking for something that is a capable unit but reasonably priced. Also is it possible to plug the GPS into the AUX port to recieve directions over the speakers? What about using a smart phone for navagation? I have a Samsung S3.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:23 PM
christo651
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the garmin nuvi 5 inch screen. It visually gives directions as well as voice. I do not think it can connect to the system though. The trouble with using a smart phone is reception can be spotty.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:44 PM
kdodd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the GS3, not a good choice for directions, you are at the mercy of cell towers. My Garmin never has let me down. Just got back from Sturgis through 11 states, never let me down once.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:46 PM
PNSHVL
Tourer

I have my GPS plugged into my radio on my 06 Road Glide, switch to auxillary and voice over speakers.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:48 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,359 Likes on 2,615 Posts

I prefer a good waterproof GPS because I do a fair number of trips. But they arent cheap. I have a Zumo 660. Get it from a 20% off retailer.

I wont use my phone, or a baggie on a cheap GPS, but thats just me.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:02 PM
bike_r_trash
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd go with a Garmin unit that's waterproof. You can do the 660 from HD with the fairing mount and integration into the radio so that it cuts in when the GPS has a voice prompt. I picked up the newer 350, which at the time had a rebate and the reseller gave me a good price since my buddy bought one at the same time. My net was $530, so watch for deals. You can connect the 350 through the aux in the radio to hear instructions.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:48 PM
duoderf
Advanced

The Garmin Zumo line is the only way to go. They are dedicated motorcycle GPS systems (at least on the 550) can be plugged into your radio AUX port. They also have the ability to store and play digital music.

I bought my 550 2 years ago used, but just barely. The guy had bought it for a cross country car trip then put it in a box and never touched it again, it cost me $250 which was a steal.

The routing on the garmin software is not as good as some other companies, but their hardware is where they really excel.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:48 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Gps

I was always in favor of getting a cheapie lifetime maps garmin and putting a baggie over it. I do a lot of touring though and it just got to be too big a hassle. If you travel much, they will get screwed up by rain eventually.

My old Garmin gave up on me at the worst time, so I had a Zumo 665 installed. I love the XM radio and the weather makes it worth the extra $$$.

It really depends how much you tour and how much you depend on the GPS.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:53 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm using the Garmin 660
I have had several but this is the best one.
I'm in OK.. it has been flawless and we went on back roads only

Old 08-29-2013, 05:17 PM
kdfcogwheel
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used a Navigon 5100 Max, but it wasn't bright enough. It was not shock-proof nor waterproof. I had to use a baggie in inclement weather which made it even harder to use. It did not have an external audio out jack, thus making it visual only. After numerous trips and it taking me everywhere but where I wanted to go, I replaced it with a fairing mounted HD Road Tech Zumo 660+. Now, I can plan trips with my laptop and transfer them to the Zumo. It also works well as an mp3 player. It is wind, water and shock proof. It is bright enough to see in direct sunlight. It plugs into the aux jack on the front of the radio and can easily be heard while traveling.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GPS recommendations?