Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finding neutral, 2014 ultra limited

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 08:51 PM
rvnkontum
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Finding neutral, 2014 ultra limited

Picked up my '14 Limited Tuesday afternoon, loving it! There is one thing I'm wondering about, I'm having trouble finding neutral. On my other bikes when I had this problem it meant that I had to get a small clutch adjustment, that my clutch handle was engaging too close to the grip.
I assumed that was the same problem now, so I took it over to Service and was informed by a Service Manager that this adjustment was no longer possible because this is an hydraulic clutch, and that since I had my rear shifter removed as I always do, it would be easier, and recommended, to tap down with my toe from 2nd to neutral, than to push up with my toe from 1st to neutral.
He said the heel shifter would have made it easier to push down with my heel going into Neutral from 1st. I'm not sure I buy all that, I see no reason why you should"t be able to easily go from 1st to Neutral on any bike with the front shifter. What do you say? Thanks!

Old 08-29-2013, 08:56 PM
Black_Hog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

On my 2010, I can find neutral every time by tapping the heal shifter down.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Rdgray
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's pretty much the only time I use the heel shift is to find neutral.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Greg Anderson
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rvnkontum
Picked up my '14 Limited Tuesday afternoon, loving it! There is one thing I'm wondering about, I'm having trouble finding neutral. On my other bikes when I had this problem it meant that I had to get a small clutch adjustment, that my clutch handle was engaging too close to the grip.
I assumed that was the same problem now, so I took it over to Service and was informed by a Service Manager that this adjustment was no longer possible because this is an hydraulic clutch, and that since I had my rear shifter removed as I always do, it would be easier, and recommended, to tap down with my toe from 2nd to neutral, than to push up with my toe from 1st to neutral.
He said the heel shifter would have made it easier to push down with my heel going into Neutral from 1st. I'm not sure I buy all that, I see no reason why you should"t be able to easily go from 1st to Neutral on any bike with the front shifter. What do you say? Thanks!
He's right about the heel shifter. It is easier to bump it down into neutral with your heel. They might have over filled the fluids a bit. Mine was that way when I got it. I noticed it when I changed the fluids. I measured what I drained out of each hole. Engine oil was ok but other two were over.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:01 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

I have never used the heel shifter except to try it once. Seems unnatural to me. I cant say I disagree with what you were told but I think you should still be able to snick that up into neutral from 1st gear. Because the clutch is hydraulic, does that mean there is no longer any adjustment?

Old 08-29-2013, 09:02 PM
rvnkontum
Tourer

Originally Posted by Black_Hog
On my 2010, I can find neutral every time by tapping the heal shifter down.
So put the heel shifter back on, or keep tapping from 2nd to 1st!

Old 08-29-2013, 09:06 PM
rvnkontum
Tourer

Originally Posted by hoethree
I have never used the heel shifter except to try it once. Seems unnatural to me. I cant say I disagree with what you were told but I think you should still be able to snick that up into neutral from 1st gear. Because the clutch is hydraulic, does that mean there is no longer any adjustment?
I'm with you, I look at that heel shifter, and it's like an accident waiting to happen. Anybody out there with a '14, no heel shifter, and no problem going up from 1st to N?

Old 08-29-2013, 09:26 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Get a few miles on it, and I am sure it will become easier.

Getting into neutral on new bikes is always just a tad harder, until it gets some shifting time on it.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:31 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo
Get a few miles on it, and I am sure it will become easier.

Getting into neutral on new bikes is always just a tad harder, until it gets some shifting time on it.
Both my bikes were like that when new.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:35 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Wouldn't there still be a manual adjustment of the clutch pack under the derby cover?

Quick Reply: Finding neutral, 2014 ultra limited