Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another issue to watch for

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 09:53 PM
SOCALHD
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another issue to watch for

I have been having some running issues at warm idle. Waiting to get it in for service and a check on the tune. Today I was detailing the bike and noticed drops of oil from the air cleaner cover. I pulled the cover and found the filter element was saturated with oil. Says right on it that it is a dry element. Last service was 4k miles ago. I cleaned the element with K&N cleaner, hosed it out and let it dry before reinstalling. Curious if this may have contributed to some of my running issues.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:02 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

It is a pretty common issue once you go to different A/C and especially cams.

Take a good look at your A/C backing plate, and you'll probably notice that the heads are vented to the inside of the assembly.

It is a little oil mist being pushed through the vents into the inside of the A/C assembly.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:10 PM
SOCALHD
Road Warrior

You are correct. They are. The oil level is also set at half way mark on dipstick. Any thoughts on how to alleviate this issue?? its got to be causing some breathing issues. Should I remove the cover and just run an open AC?

Old 09-01-2013, 01:28 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Here is a comprehensive thread on why too much oil comes out the breathers and how to alleviate it.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/oil-r...f-my-bike.html

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-01-2013, 10:27 PM
SOCALHD
Road Warrior

Great write up on this issue. About 1500 miles after my last service I was preparing for a long trip. I checked my oil level and found it was overfilled. I used a straw to remove excess and must have drawn at least a cup 8 oz of oil and noticed it was really black like it really had not been changed. I took it to the shop and asked if it was possible the tech forgot to drain the oil before refilling. Due to the amount of Warranty work that was done at the same time. When I asked this question they felt it was unlikely but decided to roll my bike in and do an oil &filter at no cost. The overfilled bag may have done this and I am just now catching it. I will keep an eye on things