Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi. Potential new Harley owner here and I have a few questions

Old 09-01-2013, 10:19 AM
Sammy Jankis
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi. Potential new Harley owner here and I have a few questions

if y'all would be so kind as to help me out...

I've been riding a Yamaha Stratoliner for about a year, and a VStar for 6 months before that...so, yeah, I've only ridden motorcycles for a very short time. Total mid life crisis stuff, but I've found I enjoy it a lot. I've always been a hotrodder since I was a teenager and really enjoy modding everything I own.

Here's my current bike

It's pretty good, great engine, but maybe I got a lemon or something but this bike has bolts falling out of it like constantly, and yamaha service is pretty horrible. Their dealer network is just about useless and would rather sell boats and ATVs around Columbia,SC at least. I've had to learn to wrench on it mysel, which is ok I guess, but takes time away from riding and modding my cars.

Long story, longer, I test rode a 14 street glide the other day, FLHX, and I liked it ok, but a few observations and questions (finally). The salesman I spoke with was pretty new, and couldn't answer any of these questions, at all....and told me to call their service manager on Tuesday when he was back from vacation...

- the bike seemed to ride smaller to me and didn't quite fit like my Strat does....I could use slightly wider bars and slightly taller ones....pretty easy to change, I suppose?

- likewise the seat felt an inch or two forward of where I would have liked it

- the windshield is a bit short, even with the new vent doohickey which I thought was cool

- exhaust needs upgrading, immediately

- I loved the electronics, and stereo....just a good package. IF I get it, I'll opt for the FLHXS but the sound was impressive .... Question here, is, if/when I upgrade the exhaust, is a further stereo upgrade in order? And how easy is that to do? For reference, I upgraded my Strat sound system to a 200 watt amp and Polk speakers and still want to go further with it if I keep it.

- one thing the salesman did mention was that in order to retain the HD warranty, I'd have to get all performance and electrical mods done by the dealer....is that really the case? That takes the fun out of it, to HAVE to get them to mod it,but then again it sure would be nice to have somebody that can actually work on my bike, so I can mess with my cars instead, I guess...

Any help Y'all can offer in this decision I'd sure appreciate....oh, and this is the one I want, if I get it

Old 09-01-2013, 10:24 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Welcome Aboard

Originally Posted by Sammy Jankis
Any help Y'all can offer in this decision I'd sure appreciate....oh, and this is the one I want, if I get it

1st - Welcome Aboard

2nd - How do they hang them from the ceiling?

Old 09-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Sammy Jankis
Novice

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
How do they hang them from the ceiling?

Very carefully, I suppose

Old 09-01-2013, 10:31 AM
weekender2098
Tourer

Ask to ride the Street Glide special - an easy upgrade would be S.E. new Cannon exhaust.
you would be good to go. Our dealer has the new S.E. Cannon exhaust on a demo bike. They let me ride it and I will be purchasing a set this week.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:34 AM
sfchief
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

- the bike seemed to ride smaller to me and didn't quite fit like my Strat does....I could use slightly wider bars and slightly taller ones....pretty easy to change, I suppose?

Lots of Harley and aftermarket options available.

- likewise the seat felt an inch or two forward of where I would have liked it

Lots of Harley and aftermarket options available. I personally went with a Mustang that moved me back about 2 inches.

- the windshield is a bit short, even with the new vent doohickey which I thought was cool

Lots of Harley and aftermarket options available. I personally went with a Clearview that has a re-curve at the top. The re-curve seems to do a better job of deflecting the wind over your head without the need to go too tall. Some folks don't like the distortion where it's curved, but if it's fitted right, you shouldn't be looking through it anyway.

- exhaust needs upgrading, immediately

Lots of Harley and aftermarket options available.

- I loved the electronics, and stereo....just a good package. IF I get it, I'll opt for the FLHXS but the sound was impressive .... Question here, is, if/when I upgrade the exhaust, is a further stereo upgrade in order? And how easy is that to do? For reference, I upgraded my Strat sound system to a 200 watt amp and Polk speakers and still want to go further with it if I keep it.

Not too sure about the 2014 electronics.

- one thing the salesman did mention was that in order to retain the HD warranty, I'd have to get all performance and electrical mods done by the dealer....is that really the case? That takes the fun out of it, to HAVE to get them to mod it,but then again it sure would be nice to have somebody that can actually work on my bike, so I can mess with my cars instead, I guess...

Not necessarily. Probably get different answers from different dealerships. I installed my own Ness Big Sucker and Screaming Eagle slip-ons then took it to the dealership to get the appropriate computer download.

Last edited by sfchief; 09-01-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

I had a Stratoliner before I got my 1st Harley. Must be I got a good one --- didn't have any problems. Must be you're bigger than me (I'm 5' 10" 190) because I had to put pullback risers on my Stratoliner. Had to reach too far for the handlebars. That's the reason I didn't get a Road King --- had to reach too far, and it wasn't comfortable. I ended up with an 09 Electra Glide Classic. Fit me perfectly. If the Stratoliner was a perfect fit, try a Road King. The reach to the handlebars will be about the same as the Stratoliner. I now have a 103 Limited Ultra, and love it. I wouldn't ride without a fairing anymore. A lot of guys here like the Road King. You're right about one thing, though --- gotta change those stock pipes! If you get a 2011 or up, it'll have a catalytic converter in it. The heat is almost unbearable. Change the headpipe. I have Vance & Hines Power Duals on mine. Now it's just "normal" heat. For slip-ons, the best bang for the buck, and nice touring bike sound are Rush slip-ons. The baffles come in different diameters. The larger, the louder. Go to a bike night sometime, or to a dealer on a nice Saturday morning. Rush pipes are pretty common. A lot of dealers carry them in stock. Ask around, find some Rush, and ask them to fire it up for you. (They will, no problem.) Don't forget to ask what diameter baffle they have. I've had Rush slash-downs with the 2.5" baffle, and they were nice. Pretty loud, but not overbearing obnoxious at all. Just a nice "big bike" sound. Hope it helps a little.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:43 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

welcome...potentially.....i started out with a 2006 Yamaha Road Star because i couldn't afford a Heratige Classic....so i bought a batwing for it.....33000 miles later i took the plunge to a 2010 ultra classic then last year i got a 2013 limited after putting 14999 on the 2010. two totally different manufacturers for sure. i love my road star and i still have it but don't ride it much. waiting to pass it to my nephew. it was rock solid and still is. sorry about yours. modifying handle bars can get expensive....relatively, especially if you have to replace cables. my advice to you is that if you take the plunge, try to get the dealer to set up the bike with things you like....different bars, different seat and see if you can work out a discounted price for the changes. you can always upgrade the stereo but i thought that the 2014 was an upgrade. i think they went to bigger 6" speakers, at least on the limited. you'll like the harley, but like i said much different than yours. be careful pulling that one down from the cealing.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:47 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

welcome to the forums.

I'd suggest that you take your time and look at the offering, read the forums and see what common concerns occur.

It sound more like the Yamaha has lost you confidence which is a real shame.

But any bike and maybe more so a Harley is going to want to spit bolts all over the place.

the rider needs to get in there and check all that stuff- wash day is good for that.

key is vehicle prep at the dealer- such things as saddlebag latches falling off because the dealer prep guy didn't use a threadlocker ( mine did).

I think the H-D product line is in flux and the 2014 could be something of an orphan- like the 2008.

Mike