Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help diagnose a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 01:27 AM
racinghoss
Road Captain
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Help diagnose a problem?

For the last few weeks I have been noticing a vibration while in 2nd gear. The vibe might be present in all gears, it is hard to tell, but if it is then it is very minor. Definitely apparent in 2nd gear though. The vibe runs throught the footboards, bars, and seat. This has lasted a few weeks, around 1000 miles or so. Otherwise, all is fine.

Yesterday, while out riding I was stopped at a light (clutch in, tranny in 1st gear) when the bike made a grinding sound like it was popping out of gear. I checked to make sure I was still in gear (pushed down on the shift lever and rolled forward a tad). No other symptoms were present.

We were in traffic at the time, so I rode a couple miles up the road to a safe place and pulled over. As i was sitting there (Clutch in, 1st gear) it made the noise again. I was about 14 miles from home, and the bike was otherwise running and riding fine, so we headed home.

While I was coasting to a stop light (low speed, clutch in, but I dont remember exactly which gear I was in) it again made the same noise. Except this time, at the end of the grinding, there was a whirring sound, like something had spun. At that point I was only a couple miles from home to I rode on without any further problems.

I could not duplicate the sound in my driveway, so I pulled into the garage and I have not had a chance to look at it again (shift work, 13 hours shifts). My next chance will be Thursday, when I plan to pull the primary and take a look at the compensator.

I recently had gear driven cams installed - about 5000 miles ago. I dont think they are related, but there are many minds smarter than mine on this forum and maybe someone else can use that information to help me.

Anyone have any ideas what I should be looking at?

Last edited by racinghoss; 09-03-2013 at 02:03 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:33 AM
racinghoss
Road Captain

Also, early this spring (March) I did have some kickback when starting up the cold engine. I replaced the battery, and have not had a problem since.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:47 AM
cwoof
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"...at the end of the grinding, there was a whirring sound..."

I am certainly NOT very mechanically inclined, but I remember a thread with a similar problem, and the replies all said to look at the electrics for the starter. The whirring sound (and grinding) might indicate the starter is trying to kick in. Could be wiring to the start button, etc.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:41 AM
racinghoss
Road Captain

OK, so I did a search for the starter issue. It sounds like lots of folks have similar symptoms caused by the starter switch and/or relay shorting.

That does not explain the vibrations though. Two separate issues?

Old 09-03-2013, 03:55 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 603 Likes on 326 Posts

One you drain the primary oil in to a clean container look for metal shavings..This is a good place to start.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:15 AM
racinghoss
Road Captain

Yep, but I cant get to it until Thursday. Just looking for other possible culprits and/or things to look for.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:05 AM
racinghoss
Road Captain

I finally got a chance to look at the primary and everything seems fine. Everything is tight, and the oil was dark with a light metallic sheen (3000 miles). Very little gunk on the plug.

I am starting to believe that the starter switch or relay is the problem. The day that I had trouble, it rained pretty hard while we were eating lunch. I ride often in the rain, and my bike sits outside each day at work - so it often gets wet. But, maybe this time the water helped cause the problem. I have not been able to make it happen again since that day.

I will take a good look at the switch, check the wires, replace the relay, and go from there.

I think the vibe is unrelated - another issue to track down later.