Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NADA Listed Values and Dealer Trade-Ins

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 07:09 AM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default NADA Listed Values and Dealer Trade-Ins

I traded-in my 2012 FLHRC, for a 2014 Ultra. The salesman informed me that the NADA values I was quoting from their website, were not the same prices the dealer uses when evaluating trades. He claimed they have a different book that NADA provides them, and that the prices are quite different. Now I've been buying cars and bikes for many years, but I couldn't raise the B.S. flag with him because I honestly didn't know if this was true or not. I should have asked to see the 'Book', but I didn't want to call the guy a liar. Yea, I know. Can anyone on this forum give me some insight on whether or not this is true regarding the claimed 'NADA Dealer Book', and the NADA website listings. Thanks!

P.S.
By the way, every positive post here regarding the 2014's is true! One item that has been barely mentioned is the stock seat on the '14' Ultra. I've had Mustangs, Harley Hammocks, and Sundowner seats on previous bikes, and this stock seat is right up there with all of those. Very comfortable.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:37 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,880 Likes on 21,305 Posts

Congrats on the new ride.
It is a novelty and for that one pays for that.

In regards to a different NADA book?
I doubt that.

Trade in value is significantly less than book value.
It's set up that way so that the dealer always makes out $$$ wise.
I'm sure you know that though.
If you went lower than trade in value, then they really got you!
How much did they get you for?
Was it that bad?

You should have tried to sell yours outright first.
That would have been your $$$ biggest return.

I sat on a 14 SG the other day and the seat felt like a hard assed corbin or worse a lepera.
Wouldn't want it, but hey as long as your happy?

Last edited by lionsm13; 09-03-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:43 AM
VB2KDH
Road Master

Received 225 Likes on 80 Posts

I would've said "Show me the money (book)". Saying it doesn't make it so.
But seriously, Congrats on the new ride.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:51 AM
alaskanadams
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Walk out of the dealership. You have the money, they want to make a sale. Walkaway. The ball is in your court. There are other dealerships. You can always throw yourself on the mercy of the dealer................hahahahahahaha

Old 09-03-2013, 07:54 AM
SS Twin
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Djkolp, first of all, congrats on the new ride. I wish lots of good times and happy miles!

As to a "dealer" NADA book, there is one that automotive, motorcycle, etc. licensed dealers can subscribe to. It is a paid subscription and it captures the latest, reported sales (retail and auction) nationally and in a specific region. It reflects "actual transactions" so it really gives the dealer the best (most advantageous) look at the market.

I have seen it at automotive and MC dealers and the loan and trade in values will make your eyes pop (or your heart sink) depending on which side of he transaction you are on.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:02 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

If you go to the NADA page for vehicle values, look at the bottom of the page . Down there in small print is their product listing, click on that. It has books for just about everything. They aren't cheap but is you subscribe, you get updated values a couple times a year.,,

Old 09-03-2013, 08:13 AM
99%er
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Congrats on the new ride.
It is a novelty and for that one pays for that.

In regards to a different NADA book?
I doubt that.

Trade in value is significantly less than book value.
It's set up that way so that the dealer always makes out $$$ wise.
I'm sure you know that though.
If you went lower than trade in value, then they really got you!
How much did they get you for?
Was it that bad?

You should have tried to sell yours outright first.
That would have been your $$$ biggest return.

Yes you will get a higher price if you sell privately as opposed to trading in BUT dont forget that you will then have to pay sales tax on the full amount of the new bike's sell price. When you trade in you only get taxed on the sell price minus trade value. So....... If you negotiate a good trade in value and if you negotiate a good price on the new bike it can often turn out to be your best deal.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:27 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by djkolp
I traded-in my 2012 FLHRC, for a 2014 Ultra. The salesman informed me that the NADA values I was quoting from their website, were not the same prices the dealer uses when evaluating trades. He claimed they have a different book that NADA provides them, and that the prices are quite different. .........
OK but what value did they give you for your trade in? My dealer quoted me 17,000 for mine. Not sure how good that is.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:50 AM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SS Twin
Djkolp, first of all, congrats on the new ride. I wish lots of good times and happy miles!

As to a "dealer" NADA book, there is one that automotive, motorcycle, etc. licensed dealers can subscribe to. It is a paid subscription and it captures the latest, reported sales (retail and auction) nationally and in a specific region. It reflects "actual transactions" so it really gives the dealer the best (most advantageous) look at the market.

I have seen it at automotive and MC dealers and the loan and trade in values will make your eyes pop (or your heart sink) depending on which side of he transaction you are on.
This info is spot on correct. I used to have a dealers license and subscribed to the licensed dealers only book. The values between the dealers book and the web are usually quite different.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:26 AM
4812t
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you will get a higher price if you sell privately as opposed to trading in BUT dont forget that you will then have to pay sales tax on the full amount of the new bike's sell price.
Not sure about NY, A lot of states Have a form you fill out on the sale of titled property and you have 180 days to receive a credit on sales tax so you only pay the difference in tax on a new (to you) titled property. Dealers don't advertise this. works used to new, used to used, car to motorcycle etc.

Quick Reply: NADA Listed Values and Dealer Trade-Ins