Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice on a tuner

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Jager247
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need some advice on a tuner

Hey guys, I am planning on dropping a tuner in my 13 road king tomorrow. I have 2 options.

1. SE race tuner

2. Power commander V

what is the plus and cons of these 2. The reason why these are my options is because of the two shops around me, these are what they carry and tune. the Harley shop says SE and the indy is saying power commander V. The indy shop also said that if i was going to stick with SE parts like cams.. to go with the SE race tuner, that it works best with the SE parts.

I dont know much about EFI's so this is new water for me. could some one school me on this topic. The reason i posted it here is because i want to hear what guys who actually have touring bike have to say.

Thanks ahead of time.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:52 PM
pat1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at a Dynojet's powervision. You get more for your money.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:58 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Of those two, get the SE race tuner. It is a flash tuner rather than an add on. Problem is ya need to find someone who can properly tune it. That actually means more than which tuner ya get. The hot tuner right now is Powervision. TTS is also good.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:00 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I have always used the SE tuner I have never had problems and if I ever needed warranty work I do not have to worry about the mother ship denying warranty because of other tuners. (Not that I know they would or have) Just for me I have always used the HD tuner. If you want to tune it your self you can they sell the cables software and the software is user friendly. The others have auto tune, so does the SE tuner, Others can save the base tune(factory)tune as a fail safe that one can return to if needed, so does the SE tuner. You can adjust timing, fuel per certain RPM's etc.. Pretty much a choice of which one do you like more?

Old 09-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
Of those two, get the SE race tuner. It is a flash tuner rather than an add on. Problem is ya need to find someone who can properly tune it. That actually means more than which tuner ya get. The hot tuner right now is Powervision. TTS is also good.
Ditto on finding somebody who can properly tune it... with a dyno of course. That should be your first step. Then ask them which tuner they recommend.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:07 PM
bbrooks1963
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Give Fuel Moto a call. They deal with these questions every day. They also sell several tuners that have a variety of functionality. Let them know what you currently have on your bike and what your plans are. I'm not going to knock the SE Race Tuner, I had one on my 2008 FLHX. The problem I had was everytime I wanted to make changes, it required a dyno tune to get the best performance. Dyno run(s) from a Harley dealer get expensive fast.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Jager247
Cruiser

Thanks guy, the power vision is not an option because no one can tune it that i know of local. My Harley shop tech that has worked on my past 2 bikes has done a great job and they just hired a new guy to run the dyno that is really good from what others have said. The indy shop guy can do either the SE or the power commander. he likes both, but feels he gets more out of the power commander. The harley shop told me they have had some guys come in with some of the older power commanders that have failed and replaced them with the SE race tuners so just hearing that got me a little worried about the power commander. I'm just not sure if they are trying to sell me theirs or if they are looking out for my best needs for my bike.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:15 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Give you an idea of it is not rocket science to tune a SE tuner..
These give you a idea of what you can do with the SE tuner.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:21 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Originally Posted by GriffinDenim13FLHX
I have always used the SE tuner I have never had problems and if I ever needed warranty work I do not have to worry about the mother ship denying warranty because of other tuners. (Not that I know they would or have) Just for me I have always used the HD tuner. If you want to tune it your self you can they sell the cables software and the software is user friendly. The others have auto tune, so does the SE tuner, Others can save the base tune(factory)tune as a fail safe that one can return to if needed, so does the SE tuner. You can adjust timing, fuel per certain RPM's etc.. Pretty much a choice of which one do you like more?
The SE software is now free for the download from moco. Can you show one how the SE can save the stock tune for re loading, has not before. Only the flashed tune can be saved as far as I know

Best advice is to pick who will tune the bike, who will maintain the tune. If I did not have a tuner I would get the power vision seems to be on top right now

Old 09-03-2013, 11:28 PM
Jager247
Cruiser

thanks for the videos. that helps a lot.

Quick Reply: Need some advice on a tuner