Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 wethead replacement possibly..

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 10:24 AM
DocO
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 wethead replacement possibly..

So I posted a ride report/review of my new 2014 Ultra Limited the other day. I took an 1100 mile weekend trip, riding a bunch of different kinds of roads. Everything from twisties, highways, etc.. Bike rode great, performed great, but I had noticed a slight exhaust leak. Took the bike to the dealer on Monday and dropped it off to have it looked at as well as get the 1000 mile service. I just got off the phone with them, and they're thinking it may possibly have a defective head. They're calling in an HD Warranty person to come take a look. He said Harley will be all over this since it's new and they will want to take care of these types of issues immediately. I'm not completely surprised, but a little disappointed that this could make it past their QC. I'll post updates as I get them.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately all motor manufacturers these days seem to treat the first customers as beta testers, gone are the days when there would have been various disguised bikes running around putting thousands of miles on these bikes in real life use prior to them being released to the public, all they do now is run them on the bench which is never the same.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:30 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

if your bike is gonna be laid up for awhile, maybe you could lend a fuel injector for this 2014:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-the-shop.html

Mike

Old 09-04-2013, 10:31 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

I think this is typical of HD, lack of R&D in house and they throw their crap out there for the customer to test. Unfortunately this is what happens on first year model issues. Note to self.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Charlie Fogg
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkguitar
if your bike is gonna be laid up for awhile, maybe you could lend a fuel injector for this 2014:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-the-shop.html

Mike
Now that's some funny **** right there...especially since I was the one that suggested the dealer take an injector off an exisiting bike....

Old 09-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Twillis
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could even be porosity due to faulty aluminum casting. Many things could be the problem. Could have just as easily happened to a pre-2014 model.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:37 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pondskipper
Unfortunately all motor manufacturers these days seem to treat the first customers as beta testers, gone are the days when there would have been various disguised bikes running around putting thousands of miles on these bikes in real life use prior to them being released to the public, all they do now is run them on the bench which is never the same.
they cant afford the fuel for those long R&D rides anymore lol the bike would cost us $30k+.
seriously i agree with ya, remember the testeing that was done for the V-Rod? i know several with them and no isues ever came from them

Old 09-04-2013, 11:39 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by Pondskipper
The first customers are the beta testers. We will see more of this as the beta testers roll up the miles. Afraid the MoCo being "all over this" is of little value to the 2014 beta testers but could be of some value to those that decided to wait a year or two.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:48 AM
craigcrewcheif
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
I think this is typical of HD, lack of R&D in house and they throw their crap out there for the customer to test. Unfortunately this is what happens on first year model issues. Note to self.
Not meaning to beat on you but that is a ridiculous statement. How do you know how much R&D, man hours and dollars went into developing the new cooling system. Unless you are an engineer with years of engine development experience that statement is what I would expect on the Goldwing Forum. They don't "throw crap out there for the customer to test". There are always issues in first year products with any industrial product.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:25 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by craigcrewcheif
Not meaning to beat on you but that is a ridiculous statement. How do you know how much R&D, man hours and dollars went into developing the new cooling system. Unless you are an engineer with years of engine development experience that statement is what I would expect on the Goldwing Forum. They don't "throw crap out there for the customer to test". There are always issues in first year products with any industrial product.
I agree, just because someone said it doesn't make it true. I know they run-test them pretty hard somewhere in Arizona just for the heat testing alone. Might as well keep the discussion balanced.

I'm wondering if building a lot of bikes quickly for the debut may have something to do with it.

Beary

Quick Reply: 2014 wethead replacement possibly..