Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dark Primary Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Skippy97
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dark Primary Oil?

Hey All,

Started doing my own maintenance at 20K miles. When I drained the primary, it looked like it had never been serviced. My buddy who helped said the same, as he has done a bit of wrenching over the years.

I did another fluid change of all three holes at 25K. The primary oil was not as dark, but darker than I would have imagined. There was also a little metal (very small, but enough to wipe off the drain plug).

My hope was that I got the rest of the old oil and any metal with this last change. Just to make sure, though, I'm going to drain the primary again in a thousand miles. I'll save the oil when I drain and any metal residue.

Worst case, has anyone seen this before? Like I said, I don't have full confidence the primary was ever changed before I did it myself. But, is there anything that could be going wrong that would make the oil dark? I fully expected the engine oil to be dark, but not the primary.

Thanks!

Skippy

Old 09-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

I just changed mine at 10K and the Mobil 1 20W50 was dark as well. No metal but it was a little darker than I expected however the 10K change removed the dino. We'll see what the next one looks like.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It gets contaminated with clutch material, it is normal for it to look grey.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:46 PM
rleggs
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Small metal stuck to the magnet is normal wear from compensator, chain, clutch, ring gear, starter gear etc. No filter in this compartment. Gets hot and clutch wear (dust) will make the oil dark. That's why I change primary oil with every engine oil change and tranny every second change.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Skippy97
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rleggs,

Thanks, that's good to hear. Without a lot of reference points, it's easy to get worried about these things.

BTW, I'm originally from Tupelo. Hope all is well in Laurel!

Skippy

Old 09-04-2013, 08:51 PM
SteveMKentucky
Tourer

Received 63 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree with the previous posts. The primary oil will reflect the composition of the clutch plates and chains which will all wear. It's not uncommon for primary lubricants.

When I changed the primary oil on my Limited at 1,000 miles it was not dark, but I did have a significant amount of swarf on the magnetic drain plug.

I wonder what composition the MOCO uses for their clutch plates. Something metallic?

Old 09-04-2013, 09:04 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,461 Likes on 1,591 Posts

The dealer did my 1,000 mile service and due to the fact that I couldn't get an appointment for the 5,000 mile service and I was going on a long trip I changed all of my fluids at 4800 miles.

As yours was, my primary oil was very dark which I expected it to be.
The tranny oil looked as if it was just poured out of a new container.
My engine oil was a little dark BUT only about 2-1/2 quarts came from the engine and filter. I seriously question if they put more than 3 quarts of oil in my engine.
Next time I have the dealer service my bike I'll check the engine oil level before I leave the dealership.

Everyone has an opinion when it comes to oil.
Synthetic or dino, and what brand of oil is best.

I put Red Line Shockproof in my transmission and Syn 3, 20w-50w in the engine and primary.
I'll change my fluids at least one more time before the season is over season and I'm planning on using Red Line, 20w-60w in the engine.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

There's alot going on on that side of the motor with the clutch, stator, etc...just service when necessary. Otherwise you're just wasting time & precious fluids.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:12 PM
rleggs
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Skippy97
Rleggs,

Thanks, that's good to hear. Without a lot of reference points, it's easy to get worried about these things.

BTW, I'm originally from Tupelo. Hope all is well in Laurel!

Skippy
Yes, all is well in Laurel..It's the nati0n I'm concerned about.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:25 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The dreaded 'stench' is what to look out for with primary oil. If it stinks really bad, that's usually an indication of a stator going bad. Dark color and a few metal particles, perfectly normal.

Quick Reply: Dark Primary Oil?