Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1984 FLHT exhaust help needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 01:56 PM
twosfamily
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 FLHT exhaust help needed!!

Hello,

Please forgive my ignorance, I am new to the Harley Touring scene. I recently purchased a 1984 FLHT. Unfortunately, I know little about the bike other then I love it and it tours great! I am looking for a new exhaust. The problem I am running into is finding some? It is a late model year bike with the rubber mount Evo engine and 5 speed transmission. I am kind of customizing the bike and will not be putting the touring package back on. So, I would like to find bolt-on drag pipes. Has anyone else had any luck finding some? I talked to some vendors and they say they can not guarantee fitment because 1984 was a "bastard" year in their words. Old parts and new parts were used. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 07-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any EVO exhaust system can be used for any year of Touring EVO if you replace the entire exhaust system. The heads are in the same point on all EVO touring models. Just make sure you get the mounting brackets for the exhaust system you purchase and don't try to mix year groups. The muffler flanges were changed I think in 1993. I don't know what year the mounting bracket off of the starter for the cross over was changed. The muffler hanger off of the saddlebags was the same all year Touring EVO models.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Any exaust off a Twinky will work too. I have a 2007 FLHT(EEE-EYE-EEE-EYE-OOOOHH) something or other exhaust on my bike (1986). It fit perfect. I think I had to reuse one old clamp or very slightly grind done one new one or something, and the new muffler hold on bolts are course thread instead of fine thread like on our bikes. And I had to plug the oxygen sensor bungs. Other than that, perfect fit. Every clamp, cover, etc. I bought it for like a bill on eBay, delivered. They said it had 500 miles on it, but I doubt it had 2 miles on it.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:45 PM
DamnYankee
Advanced

Be careful........"The muffler hanger off of the saddlebags was the same all year Touring EVO models"......... not so !! I rode an 83'FLHT for many years, shovel head with 5 speed w/enclsoed chain drive. A good friend had the 84' EVO FLHT, and the rear most muffler hanger brackets were the same as mine, and different than the 85' models. Instead of the long slots, the used two bolts with rubber grommets. Try Paucho, they used to carry pipes and mufflers for this vintage

Old 07-23-2009, 09:37 PM
twosfamily
Stage III

Thank you for the info. Paucho is one of the companies I had contacted. First I went to their website and looked under exhaust for Evo's. They had a set listed as for "1984-1998 Evo Touring models". When I clicked on the "details" tab, I was forwarded to another page that said it was for "late 1985-1998" models. Being confused, I called them. They said they will not guarantee fitment on my 1984 and basically said to go find a FLT from 1986-up and compare setups (Transmission, Evo, etc.) visually. Easier said then done when looking at pictures on the internet. Since the Evo mounting location on the frame never changed, what could be the difference from a 1984 FLHT and a 1985 FLT with both having the rubber mount Evo and five speed that would make a difference in exhaust setup other then maybe the fastening locations? Would there be any interference issues? The companies I talked to did not know.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:02 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DamnYankee
Be careful........"The muffler hanger off of the saddlebags was the same all year Touring EVO models"......... not so !! I rode an 83'FLHT for many years, shovel head with 5 speed w/enclsoed chain drive. A good friend had the 84' EVO FLHT, and the rear most muffler hanger brackets were the same as mine, and different than the 85' models. Instead of the long slots, the used two bolts with rubber grommets. Try Paucho, they used to carry pipes and mufflers for this vintage
I said the EVO models, Not the Shovelhead. A friend also had a late 1984 model. It's mounts were the same as my 1985 model I had.

With that said, it is probably why TwosFamily was told that 1984 was a Bastard year.

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 07-23-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:43 AM
DamnYankee
Advanced

Early 84' EVOS were indeed in transition and shared some parts with the shovel head 1980-1983 FLT models. If you can't find the correct sadlebag mounts, you can convert them to the later model design, which will give you more options for mufflers

Old 07-25-2009, 05:22 AM
wulffe
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the 84 bahstid.

Not sure what you need to look out for on a full exhaust change but in order to have any slip-on options, I needed to change out the saddlebag supports with the ones for 85/later.

You don't need to change the saddlebag guards - just the pipes that run below the bag and that the exhaust hangs on. They dropped in easily but they were black instead of chrome. Not a big deal since they are mostly covered by the bags. Part #'s 49194-85 (left) and 90781-85 (right). Your originals are the same part# body with 79 or 79A.

Picture of the pipe-side configuration from the 84 attached cuz when I first started asking about this I had a hard time describing what I was talking about

Attached Thumbnails 1984 FLHT exhaust help needed!!-84-muffler-hanger.jpg  
Old 09-03-2009, 10:08 AM
mjdart
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe able to see some detail on my '84

Old 09-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Here's the '07 exhaust on my bike:

Yeah, the muffler attachment is certainly different than what wulffe pictures and what it looks like is on mjdart's bike. I'd go with the change out the bottom rail method. Maybe you can find a used set on eBay.

Quick Reply: 1984 FLHT exhaust help needed!!