Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission oil smells like a dead car??

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 06:43 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission oil smells like a dead car??

As I am not a wrench, I to do my own oil, and fluids changes and change brake pads and other simple mods Headers, slipon and such on my bikes. I noticed the other day when I was changing the fluids on my limited that the transmission oil, smelt terrible. I saw on a YOU-TUBE how to video that the instructor said there was someting drasticlly wrong with bike, if there was a bad smell, and to take to a dealer or shop right away.

when I did the oil and primary there was no smell and the oil and primary oil only had 2300 miles on them. I normally change every 2000, maybe a should or should not, but I like to be safe when it come to that stuff. I figure it can only hurt my wallet. THe oil color was black with no pieces of metal or shaving on the drain plug or anything bad. When I changded the transmission oil, the color was much more clear but had a rank smell to it.

WHy and what do you suppose that comes from??? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:00 AM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

need more info , what kind of oil you use , was it over full , what did it look like , foamy ?

Old 09-07-2013, 07:04 AM
Geezer glider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What brand did you use? I use Redline and that stuff has a distinctive gear lube odor that I can sometimes smell when I come to a stop. If you aren't hearing or feeling anything, I wouldn't worry about it, especially if you didn't find anything in the oil when changing it. I change primary and tranny every 10,000 miles, motor oil every 5,000, been doing this schedule since new, have 38,000 with no issues.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:07 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,787 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezer glider
What brand did you use? I use Redline and that stuff has a distinctive gear lube odor that I can sometimes smell when I come to a stop. If you aren't hearing or feeling anything, I wouldn't worry about it, especially if you didn't find anything in the oil when changing it. I change primary and tranny every 10,000 miles, motor oil every 5,000, been doing this schedule since new, have 38,000 with no issues.
"I use Redline and that stuff has a distinctive gear lube odor that I can sometimes smell when I come to a stop." ... Pretty common, it sure does stink like old differential fluid ... Such a fragrant aroma.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:08 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!

I used syn 3 on all three but the last time I changed the trany was at 10,000 miles before that at 8 and now at 13 there was no foam, it just smelt horrible and I mean cat not car in the post. It is early for me on a saturday but i have a big ride with some buddies and just wanted to be safe.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:14 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Use a good gear oil in the trans. Not Syn 3.

And not matter what you put in there it's going to stink. Especially if you overfill. You'll be smelling it through it's vent tube for thousands of miles... yuk.

lp

Old 09-07-2013, 07:18 AM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Gear oil has always had a strong smell to me. Don't matter if it's in a rear end, transmission, etc. I have never heard of "if it smells something is wrong". I would think if it didnt smell bad someone put the wrong type oil in, now that would make sense to me.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:20 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member

thanks for the advice, I put the recomended 1 qrt in it, although it was again syn 3, I will change it next time.
Well boys I am off and out the dorr for a good ride to the Presa damn here in Mexico, should be nice and cool on the way there and hot as a bastard on the way back. 300 miles round trip, not huge but a good saturday morning run with a BBQ back at my house after. THanks for the info and ride Safe!!!!

Old 09-07-2013, 07:27 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Syn3 isn't GO, it's motor oil (don't everyone start w/flaming). Just get some decent "tranny" oil for your bike - I use Spectro Platinum 6-speed and it makes the gears sing/mesh/shift/operate like buttah! Other than spreading unicorn pixie dust on your gears - this stuff is magic.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Big Boz
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

According to my olfactory system

New oil = i smell the plastic container more so than the oil
Used oil = has a sooty gas smell

New transmission fluid = old transmission fluid without the smelling salt head jerk movement
Old transmission fluid = new transmission fluid with the smelling salt head jerk movement

I had a slow leak in one of my trucks where the transmission fluid blew back onto the exhaust, burned up and permeated the inside of the truck. I think I have become very sensitive to transmission fluid. Once I smell it, I smell it for a looooong time.