Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2014 Limited vs My 2012 CVO

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 373 Likes on 146 Posts
Default My 2014 Limited vs My 2012 CVO

Picked up my new 2014 Limited on Friday and traded out my 2012 CVO. Took it out yesterday on a variety of different routes (253 miles) to see the difference between the two. My observation:

1. There was very little heat coming off the Limited vs the CVO. I had highway pegs on the CVO and put a set on the Limited right out the gate to see how much my right leg would fry. It was a night and day difference between the two and you don't feel any heat from the vents on the Limited. Another thing I noticed is that the Limited cools down almost twice as fast as the CVO when I tuned the bike off.

2. Looking at both side by side yes there is a huge difference. Of course the CVO has all the bells and whistles and the Limited, well looks rather plain. I priced out everything that the CVO had minus the 110 and wheels and it comes up to just over $3700 worth of parts and accessories. I added 2K worth of parts onto the bike to defray some of the upfront cost.

3. On the handling the Limited was more nimble than the CVO and didn't seem to have that heavy feel. Keep in mind we are talking about the 12 model. So not sure how the 14's will handle with the new larger front end (forks). But it was a noticeable difference between the two. Also there wasn't as big of front end dive as on the CVO.

4. From a power standpoint both bikes do move out rather quickly. Keep in mind that I had a stage one on the CVO with a Thundermax Auto tuner. I was surprised at how the HO 103 performed. Do I think the HO 103 will out run the CVO? No I don't but I can tell you this much I wasn't disappointed in the power of the HO 103 engine. From 60 mph to 80-85 there was little to no effort on the Limited and pulled smoother than I thought. At lower speeds the Limited seemed to pick up a lot quicker than the CVO so that was plus. Overall HD did well with the changes to the 103 engines and its a lot less change out of your pocket and more reliability than the 110 engines.

5. The tour pack is actually is larger on the Limited than it was on the CVO although it doesn't look it. I took a tape measure and actually measured out while at the dealership because even the folks in the service department wanted to actually see the difference. The difference is in the depth and length. One thing of note they made the passenger seat taller so I think that is how they were able to give you more room in the pack from an aesthetic viewpoint. We stuck two full face helmets in there no problem plus a jacket.

6. The Nav/Radio- I'm a tech type guy and I think the thing is great. Sync'd my phone with ease and the voice activated option works great. Hooked up my Ipod and it read it instantly. Displays the album cover and it allows you to search through a list to find that favorite song without guessing or flipping through songs to get to it. You can operate the whole thing via the hand controls with no issues. Just takes a little getting use to. The one thing that did disappoint me is it doesn't come with the Sirius/XM module. A $400 option that has to be put on. That kinda sucks ***. Its a must for me and the lady as much as we stay on the road. The CVO I had already has this option and even offered 3 months for free.

A few odds and ends-
Still trying to get use to the two open slots in the back. Just seems like its missing something there everytime I look at it.

The vent does what its suppose to do but it also depends on the windshield and your height. 10" or taller you seem to be good with little to no buffering. My buddy has a 14 Limited as well with a shorter HD windshield, 7", and the vent effectiveness goes down. I noticed more buffering riding his than on mine. I have to see if the Klock Werks 8.5" will work out for me, you know add a little more style. If not then I will stay with the stock windshield.

Did a hard stop just using the front brakes and I did notice the rear brakes kicking in the slow the bike down. Great option that the 12 CVO didn't have. Especially riding 2 up.

The Limited doesn't have the heated seats and the CVO does. Another $899.95 option. While I like this option I do have Gerbing heat gear and its alot cheaper. But I think the lady will make me buy the heated seat in the near future anyway for those spring and fall rides.

Overall I really like the Limited. Yea a little more out of pocket for some of the amenities but as we all know this is an expensive hobby. You have to pay to play as I'm really finding out changing out my 2011 SG.

Attached Thumbnails My 2014 Limited vs My 2012 CVO-sg-1024x576-.jpg   My 2014 Limited vs My 2012 CVO-sun-garage-pic.jpg   My 2014 Limited vs My 2012 CVO-sungarage.jpg   My 2014 Limited vs My 2012 CVO-at-hd.jpg  
Old 09-08-2013, 12:49 PM
SSJ
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great write up! Happy trail to you and your Lady, comparable power between a tuned CVO and stock Limited, impressive. Are planning on a stage 1 and tuner for the Limited?

Old 09-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by SSJ
Great write up! Happy trail to you and your Lady, comparable power between a tuned CVO and stock Limited, impressive. Are planning on a stage 1 and tuner for the Limited?
Yes theres plan for the stage one but waiting on Zippers on the new Thundermax. I live 1 mile down the road from the them and my neighbor who works there gives me the inside scoop. He is saying soon. Just have to see what exhaust I want to go with. Had CFR's on the CVO but not sure I'm going with them this time.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:10 PM
SSJ
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kesean
Yes theres plan for the stage one but waiting on Zippers on the new Thundermax. I live 1 mile down the road from the them and my neighbor who works there gives me the inside scoop. He is saying soon. Just have to see what exhaust I want to go with. Had CFR's on the CVO but not sure I'm going with them this time.
Thundermax with auto tune are certainly consumer highly rated, I'm waiting on a new Limited and will go with the Thundermax auto tune and probably Rhinehart's
with high flow baffles and a Jackpot 2-into-1-into-2 Ceramic High Output Head Pipe, not sure about the intake yet.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:25 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 999 Likes on 495 Posts

Thanks for the write up, glad to see a realistic comparison from someone who put some thought into it. I'm already so tired of the haters who can't stand the 14s just because.....

Enjoy the new ride and keep us informed.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:35 PM
UltraWalt
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Yep great write up and thanks for your service to our Country.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:37 PM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by SSJ
Thundermax with auto tune are certainly consumer highly rated, I'm waiting on a new Limited and will go with the Thundermax auto tune and probably Rhinehart's
with high flow baffles and a Jackpot 2-into-1-into-2 Ceramic High Output Head Pipe, not sure about the intake yet.
Good deal! Have had the Thundermax in all my bikes. Little more expensive than most but I've had nothing but excellent results with it. Just hate I couldn't take it out of the CVO before I traded.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Roadie13
Thanks for the write up, glad to see a realistic comparison from someone who put some thought into it. I'm already so tired of the haters who can't stand the 14s just because.....

Enjoy the new ride and keep us informed.
LOL, yea same here. But to each his own. One thing I have found out about the forum people will always have an opinion. Some constructive and others, well lets just say are going to bitch and complain nothings right with the world just because they can.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:04 PM
Welderman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the write up, and thank you for your service. I too have a CVO, a 09 SERG, and I am looking to sell or trade it in on a 14' Limited. As you, I have the satellite radio in my GPS, so that sucks that we have to spend more. I am impressed with the power you say these new 103's have. When I had mine dyno'd a couple of years ago, my bike was putting out 96 ponies and 105 lbs of tq. I have SE251 cams, V&H power duals, BUB 7 mufflers, and SE Super Tuner. Very happy with the power, but not with heat. I torn between a few different slip on mufflers. V&H Monster Rounds, love the deep sound, Jackpot up slash, CFR's, another one that has a very deep rumble, but a little on the louder side, and to my surprise, the new Sreamin Eagle muffler with the scrip on them. Heard a set on a new Street Glide yesterday and was surprised at how deep and vocal the sound was, even the wife like those.
Anyway when I get ready to swap scoots, I will most likely be going with the Charcoal Grey/Vivid Black combo as everthing just seems to flow.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:13 PM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Welderman
Thanks for the write up, and thank you for your service. I too have a CVO, a 09 SERG, and I am looking to sell or trade it in on a 14' Limited. As you, I have the satellite radio in my GPS, so that sucks that we have to spend more. I am impressed with the power you say these new 103's have. When I had mine dyno'd a couple of years ago, my bike was putting out 96 ponies and 105 lbs of tq. I have SE251 cams, V&H power duals, BUB 7 mufflers, and SE Super Tuner. Very happy with the power, but not with heat. I torn between a few different slip on mufflers. V&H Monster Rounds, love the deep sound, Jackpot up slash, CFR's, another one that has a very deep rumble, but a little on the louder side, and to my surprise, the new Sreamin Eagle muffler with the scrip on them. Heard a set on a new Street Glide yesterday and was surprised at how deep and vocal the sound was, even the wife like those.
Anyway when I get ready to swap scoots, I will most likely be going with the Charcoal Grey/Vivid Black combo as everthing just seems to flow.
That was my second color combo choice. I'm looking at the Power Duals again and the Monster Oval and Square. S&S SPO is another muffler I'm looking at as well. I had the CFR's on the CVO and on my SG. Love the DEEP note but yea they are loud. SO just not sure I want to go back to them.

Quick Reply: My 2014 Limited vs My 2012 CVO