Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

14 FLHX or FLHXS Windshield Height Advice Needed...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 09:08 AM
jasnusc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 14 FLHX or FLHXS Windshield Height Advice Needed...

Im trying to avoid buying 5 windshields like I did on my 09 FLHX by learning from you guys who currently own oa 14 with the vent. On the 09 I ended up with a 10" LRS curved top shield, fairing air deflectors and a baffle air deflector to stop the buffeting.

I breifly owned a 14 Ultra Limited and the new fairing vent was Amazing with just the stock windshield and fairing deflectors.

Does the vent work just as well on the street glide? Without lowers like the limited has Im wondering if it will be more like my old 09.

Im "hoping" I can get a 7" HD Windsplitter and "Maybe" the fairing deflectors and.the vent will make up rhe difference.

Im 6'1" and normally wear a XXL Full Face.

Any advice from you current 14 Glide owners?

Old 09-15-2013, 09:23 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

don't have a 14 (2013 flhtk) but since you are getting a special (saw it in another discussion) i would think that the airflow would be very similar to the flhtk you had. i noticed their windshields are already shorter...because of the fairing design i guess. i'd ride yours stock for a little while taking stock of the air flow and any problems. if you have air coming from the tank, fork lowers should defenately help. wait a bit and see. with the difference you put back in your pocket, you can surely buy some additions to help if anything becomes a problem. congrats on the new bike......you deserve it after the problems you had.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:35 AM
UkCatsHarley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say start with a fork baffle and ride it stock. May not need the fairing or fork deflectors with the right shield.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:26 AM
StrokedNBored
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I'd agree, keep it stock and find out where the wind is coming from before you start buying stuff...

on a separate note, where did you get your states map in your sig?

Old 09-15-2013, 11:34 AM
SoZoomMe
Road Captain

I'm 6'1" and wear a 3x helmet. I had to go with the 10" wind splitter on my SGS. The 14s don't accept the fork baffle.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:42 AM
jasnusc
Road Master

Originally Posted by SoZoomMe
I'm 6'1" and wear a 3x helmet. I had to go with the 10" wind splitter on my SGS. The 14s don't accept the fork baffle.
That is what I was afraid of! I was hoping to be able to get away with something shorter because of the new vent but you and I are about the same height and head size. I noticed it does not accept the fork baffle anymore.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:06 PM
jasnusc
Road Master

Originally Posted by StrokedNBored
I'd agree, keep it stock and find out where the wind is coming from before you start buying stuff...

on a separate note, where did you get your states map in your sig?
http://www.ammap.com/visited_states/

Old 09-15-2013, 08:14 PM
Sammy Jankis
Novice

I've not bought my SGS yet, but when I test rode it I was pretty sure I'd end up buying the same height windshield as is on the Ultra. The vent helps, but not 100% imo, and the stocker is just too short. I have a 8" cee baileys on my stratoliner right now that I can just see over by about 2", and will look for same when I get my new bike. I'm 6'0" tall

Last edited by Sammy Jankis; 09-15-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:17 PM
hanny
Road Captain

I have a 14 special and the stock 4 incher is ok but since I ride without a helmet alot I got the 7.5" with the flip up thing and its pretty good but could use about 2 more inches at 80mph. Im 6 foot, not sure if that helps????? paul

Old 09-15-2013, 10:12 PM
Mxpilot
Road Captain
Received 534 Likes on 201 Posts

An important measurement to consider is from your butt while seated, to the top of your helmet (or head). While you may be 6'1", if you're long-legged, you may not need a taller windshield, or not as tall as you think.

I'm only 5'9", but 40" seated on my '14 SG. 7.5" Windsplitter gives me no buffeting with the new vent and XL helmet. With a Sundowner seat, it hits the top of my helmet, but still no buffeting.

Chris

Last edited by Mxpilot; 09-15-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Quick Reply: 14 FLHX or FLHXS Windshield Height Advice Needed...