Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 ultra limited problems

Old 09-19-2013, 09:44 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by lizdc
http://lemonjustice.com/lemon-law/OH_motorcycle_law.php

You wont have to sell it. If they cant fix it in 3 attempts you have the right to make them 1given you another one 2 give you your money back

Everyone who is having problems with their 2014 should be looking up their state lemon laws to see what applies in their state. Some states include MC some dont. But if you know it can help you in how you approach if the dealer just seems to be giving you the run around. Even mentioning that you know that say in ohio if he cant fix it in 3 tries or if it spends 30 days in the shop that it quifies as a lemon under the state law could get them to take it more seriously. In other states it means you need to be more public. There are still protections just not as clear as the state lemon laws where they exist.
I'm just curious how the lemon law might apply to the limp mode problem. I have read where a number of people have had their bike back to the dealer more than 3 times to try and fix that dangerous problem. Since the limp mode keeps coming back for many of us can we apply the lemon law ?

Old 09-19-2013, 10:12 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by biker01red
I turned over 1,000 miles yesterday. Bike is back to the Dealer again!!! Each time I come home from a ride, enter my garage, turn off the ignition, in one large belch, it blows all the antifreeze out the overflow tube onto the garage floor, completely empties the reservoir tank. So far my Dealer's solution is to just refill the reservoir and bring the bike back to him when it does it again. Harley says in their 2014 promotion video they did hours of testing, obviously missed this part !!!!!' If it doesn't get fixed this time, the bike will be sold.. When a person buys a $29,000 bike, you should not have to put up with this crap !!!! If anyone has a solution from their Dealer, I will greatly appreciate any input or Dealer contact information.
My Ultra Limited lost coolant twice. The second time it happened the dealer got real serious. They pulled a new Limited that just came in off the truck and put the bike next to mine in the service department. They spent a little over a week pulling parts one by one off the new bike and putting them on mine. Ultimately the problem seemed to be coming from the water pump because once that was replaced the issue stopped. To me, this is not a engineering problem, they all don't do it. This is a bad part issue. Once my water pump was replaced the bike performed flawlessly. If I did not like the bike so much I would have been more upset. These are new bikes with new features that the service departments have not worked on before. I don't consider it to be the end of the world for the water pump to go bad. My dealer returned the bike to me with a full tank of gas, clean as new, with a fresh oil change. All no charge of course. They really felt bad it happened and worked hard to correct the problem. They did tell me that Harley was having a issue with the radiator caps. The problem is related to the tight area and it's often not put on proper resulting in a leak. They had another Limited that leaked and all that was needed was a radiator cap fix.

My dealer even offered me a loaner while it was being repaired. I don't wish to bring his name into the forum for fear of issues. As I have stated before; this overall is the nicest handling, most comfortable and best braking Harley I have ever bought. I did hit a bump in the road with the coolant leak but feel it has been addressed. I wish everyone the same outcome because they really are great Harleys.

Best of luck, hope this helps
Scott

Old 09-20-2013, 01:05 AM
PopsHD
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

Mine has leaked coolant three times and I have had the bike less than 2 weeks. First time, Harley said it had too much coolant from the factory. Second time, they replaced the cap. Third time, it occurred while I am at the BBB Rally in Fayetteville, AR. I took it to the local dealer. By chance, a district Harley rep was onsite at the dealer just because it is a very large rally and they wanted all hands on deck. While all of my issues have occurred after riding in stop and go traffic in hot weather, the district rep had the nerve to tell me, "This bike really isn't designed to be ridden in the city". WTF? I told him, for $30,000 I should be able to ride anywhere, anytime. They tested the cap, that had already been replaced, and it tested good. Filled it up and sent me on my way. They even put some coolant in an empty water bottle to take with me if I needed to fill it up. I realize this is new technology for Harley, but I didn't spend this kind of money on a bike to carry extra coolant in my saddle bag. I will be having serious discussions with the dealer from which I purchased the bike when I arrive back home from the rally.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:10 AM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by C908
I'm just curious how the lemon law might apply to the limp mode problem. I have read where a number of people have had their bike back to the dealer more than 3 times to try and fix that dangerous problem. Since the limp mode keeps coming back for many of us can we apply the lemon law ?
I think it depends on the state but where they exist and apply to motorcycles they are pretty clear that if the same problem occurs 3-4 times depending on the state and the dealer has had ad chance to fix it that you can start the lemon law procedures. The couple I read also state that if it is something that is life threatening like brakes that once is enough. Also many of the states have an overall problem limit like I read one of them says problems overall. Or also 30 days in the shop in a year. But really my point is read up and know your rights. Normally lemon law stuff is on your attorney general's website. With this level of problem you want to know all of your recourse right away. Also some states have a 3 days to cancel a sale policy. I am not a lawyer but my mom is so I learned that I should at least know the legal info going into a situation. I just bet the dealers know the lemon laws in their states so you should too.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:28 AM
Bigpoppa_Junior
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sooooooo glad I didn't make the mistake and pull the trigger on an2014. I'll stick to air cooled and remain happy.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:35 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

No worries...don't all HD's have leaks? At least they used to on the pre-2000's and now post 2013 bikes...

Old 09-20-2013, 06:44 AM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DavesFLHTK
Mine has leaked coolant three times and I have had the bike less than 2 weeks. First time, Harley said it had too much coolant from the factory. Second time, they replaced the cap. Third time, it occurred while I am at the BBB Rally in Fayetteville, AR. I took it to the local dealer. By chance, a district Harley rep was onsite at the dealer just because it is a very large rally and they wanted all hands on deck. While all of my issues have occurred after riding in stop and go traffic in hot weather, the district rep had the nerve to tell me, "This bike really isn't designed to be ridden in the city". WTF? I told him, for $30,000 I should be able to ride anywhere, anytime. They tested the cap, that had already been replaced, and it tested good. Filled it up and sent me on my way. They even put some coolant in an empty water bottle to take with me if I needed to fill it up. I realize this is new technology for Harley, but I didn't spend this kind of money on a bike to carry extra coolant in my saddle bag. I will be having serious discussions with the dealer from which I purchased the bike when I arrive back home from the rally.
The thing that is going overlooked here is that when this occurs it is overheating. Damage is most likely occurring, like warpage or cracking. How many of you have had a car overheat without damage? I'm so disappointed with mine that I don't want to keep it. And I love the bike other then this and the radio issues. I'm even more disappointed that Harley had the nerve to try and cover this up. I would have a lot more respect if they acknowledged that it was a serious concern and they were doing everything they could to fix it. "There not really designed for city use". BS. THEY BRAG THA THEY SECRETLY TESTED THEM ON COP BIKES BEFORE GOING IN TO PRODUCTION. I used to bleed orange and black, but find myself very disillusioned! Everyone should stay in touch for possible CLASS ACTION LITIGATION, If Harley keeps there backs turned to us! Sorry for this rant but I want you all to be aware that when this happened to be coolant soaked my rear tire and I almost crashed in my garage. When coolant dumps and you roll forward your back tire gets soaked.

Last edited by iwillfixthem4u; 09-20-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:08 AM
Reaper22
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lizdc
I think it depends on the state but where they exist and apply to motorcycles they are pretty clear that if the same problem occurs 3-4 times depending on the state and the dealer has had ad chance to fix it that you can start the lemon law procedures. The couple I read also state that if it is something that is life threatening like brakes that once is enough. Also many of the states have an overall problem limit like I read one of them says problems overall. Or also 30 days in the shop in a year. But really my point is read up and know your rights. Normally lemon law stuff is on your attorney general's website. With this level of problem you want to know all of your recourse right away. Also some states have a 3 days to cancel a sale policy. I am not a lawyer but my mom is so I learned that I should at least know the legal info going into a situation. I just bet the dealers know the lemon laws in their states so you should too.
Good point bout lemon law but I would think The state as well as Harley Davidson would get right on this puking coolant and they will when someone crashes because coolant got to the rear tire, god forbid but looks like that's what it's gunna take...

Old 09-20-2013, 07:16 AM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Reaper22
Good point bout lemon law but I would think The state as well as Harley Davidson would get right on this puking coolant and they will when someone crashes because coolant got to the rear tire, god forbid but looks like that's what it's gunna take...
With most states it looks like it takes action on the buyers part. Enough people start having problems there is likely safety laws that will kick in. Hopefully Harley will figure it out and recall/ fix the issue. I feel for the dealers right now. But more for people buying a pricey bike that is puking. This should be Harley's worst nightmare since everyone was worried about Harley's having issues if water cooled so hear we are a month into this and look they are.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:25 PM
SAFTFIRST
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm subscribing - Dealer here in VA now has my 14 LTD for the 3rd time. As posted herein elsewhere. My dumps were on purchase day at 62 miles, 111 miles the next day, 501 miles then persistent at 1100.

I too am hearing radiator cap -- had not heard about the water pump. Pleae do stay in touch. As will I.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 ultra limited problems