Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Owners of Puking 2014 Limiteds

Old 09-19-2013, 07:31 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Owners of Puking 2014 Limiteds

Just out of curiostiy, are you shutting the bike down with the kill switch, or the ignition switch?

My 14 has never puked. At all. And although the temps havent been REALLY high around here, the fans have kicked on about 5 times after shutting the bike down. But I always shut it down with the kill switch, not the ignition switch.

Got to thinking the other day, could this be part of your problem? If you shut it down with the kill switch, the system has time to trigger a relay to cycle the fans (and perhaps the water pump), but if you use the ignition, immediately cutting off all power, it doesnt?

Just a thought.

Last edited by flyingace; 09-19-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:37 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting. I also always use the kill switch and although I haven't had it more than 2 days, I've had no issues and the fans run for a short period of time.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:55 PM
dusturbd
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

mine puked some coolant out of the recovery bottle twice but I have cured the problem with my bike so maybe try this.
1st filling it to the mark when cold is to much coolant in the bottle I have mine at about an 1" below when cold.

2nd and mainly what stopped mine is when I get where I am going while still on the bike I kill it with the kill switch leave the ign on roll throttle to 50% and hold until the cooling fans and pump come on.

Now I leave them running while I get off the bike take off helmet and do what ever I need to do when I am ready to walk away a minute or so later turn off igh bike hasn't puked a drop since I have been doing this.

why you ask because the minute you shut the bike off the flow stops and the head super heats the small amount of coolant left in the head which increases pressure, the ECM should be programmed to run the pump and fans each time you kill the motor to keep this from happening IMO

anyway this has stopped my bike from puking any coolant so I will continue to do this simple thing until Harley comes up with there fix which may be programming the ECM to do what I am doing manually.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:18 PM
longjh53
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 weeks running with the Limited- no problems, happy with my purchase, I too use the Kill Switch.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:26 PM
biker01red
Novice

Very interesting!!!! I will sure give this a try when I get the bike back from the Dealer!!!! It is still there while they are talking to Harley trying to come up with a fix.... I have always shut it off with the ignition....will change that procedure!!!! Thanks again for the suggestions. I will let you know my results.....

Old 09-19-2013, 08:36 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

I would have thought that the ECM would have been programmed to run the fans until the pressure dropped in the system after the engine was shut off. I can't see where using the ignition switch or the kill switch should make any difference to the ECM. But hell, anything is possible with a new product.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:44 PM
MikeDCop
Tourer

Two weeks, no issues. I use the kill switch. Once the fans stayed on about two minutes.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:51 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Just as a note, the manual states to use the KILL switch to shut down the bike.

I know that there has a been a lot of debate over this in years past, but it may be a new ball game now with the wetheads.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:04 PM
desertwolf
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds like you are all on to something with this. Shutting down with kill switch lets fans and pumps run - keeps coolant from being super heated in the heads.
Needs tested with a bike that is having issues.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:01 PM
red.heritage
Cruiser

I shut mine down with the ignition switch. On several occasions the fans have continued to run for a minute or so.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Owners of Puking 2014 Limiteds