Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

Welcome to HDForums.com!

P

Old 09-19-2013, 10:17 PM
Senior Rider
Default '14 hidden antenna install and radio views

Well, I did the antenna mod and it worked fine but decided to get the hidden Harley antenna. Pretty good price (like 70$ I think) and it comes really plug and play, even the power connector for it there was a lose connection just for it behind the Bat wing.
The old style hidden antenna's "WONT" work on the '14 because they have a special connector (go figure right, lol) took some pics of it and the back of the 6.5 radio showing where the xm module goes for bikes that don't come standard with it. I cant believe its not already on it and the extra cost of 400$ doesn't make much sense. It took about 5 minutes to remove bat wing and about 20 to install the antenna. works good of course. ride safe, paul
new style antenna connector

you can see here the speaker enclosures the '14's have and where I ran the antenna wires

power cord connector already on the bike

where the XM module goes I believe

Rear arnott air ride, lowered inch in front (free mod on the '14's) Alpine 300 watt amp, 6.75" polk's, cleaned up the rear end with yaffe tag and plasma rods for lights,Catless, V&H dual pipes, blue leds,, powder coated a lot of stuff myself, I had my stock wheels chromed just to name a few things

Old 09-19-2013, 11:41 PM
Club Member

question.. did you have a crackling noise problem with FM stations before this? Im having a speaker crackle/pop noise on FM ONLY at the moment.. headed back to dealer in a few days for some work.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:54 PM
Senior Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglipps66 View Post
question.. did you have a crackling noise problem with FM stations before this? Im having a speaker crackle/pop noise on FM ONLY at the moment.. headed back to dealer in a few days for some work.
I am having that issue as well. PM me if they figure it out.... paul
Rear arnott air ride, lowered inch in front (free mod on the '14's) Alpine 300 watt amp, 6.75" polk's, cleaned up the rear end with yaffe tag and plasma rods for lights,Catless, V&H dual pipes, blue leds,, powder coated a lot of stuff myself, I had my stock wheels chromed just to name a few things

Old 09-20-2013, 07:40 AM
Road Master

Nice write up, I have been considering it for my FLHX. I get the crack and pop with both the factory whip antenna as well as the shorty I just put on. I'm going to take a stab and guess that it is the nature of a digital tuner vs the traditional static of an analog one. Do you notice it more since installing the one in the fairing?
2010 Nightster
Old 09-20-2013, 11:00 PM
Senior Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwegryn View Post
Nice write up, I have been considering it for my FLHX. I get the crack and pop with both the factory whip antenna as well as the shorty I just put on. I'm going to take a stab and guess that it is the nature of a digital tuner vs the traditional static of an analog one. Do you notice it more since installing the one in the fairing?
The crackling is the same with the antennapo hidden and th new hidden.

I have heard of about 20 guys already with that issue.

Not sure what the fix is? It must have something to do with the head unit since the media (streaming off your phone stuff) I don't get any crackling. ride safe, paul

Old 09-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Senior Rider

Yup I have the same crackling too.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:29 PM
Senior Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanny View Post
The crackling is the same with the antennapo hidden and th new hidden.

I have heard of about 20 guys already with that issue.

Not sure what the fix is? It must have something to do with the head unit since the media (streaming off your phone stuff) I don't get any crackling. ride safe, paul
Dont know if you guys saw on another thread but someone suggested turning off the intercom and that seemed to help them. I dont use mine so I turned it off and it seems better. I didnt have much, only once in a while.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:03 PM
Senior Rider

Put this in. Not sure the range us as good as HD advertises. Gonna take the fairing off again and check everything.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:23 AM
Senior Rider

Did you get a rubber plug someplace to cover the stock antenna hole? I ask because I've got a Boom! Audio Hidden AM/FM/WB Antenna-76000513 coming and the stock antenna will soon be gone.
Wife's ride - 2005 Softail Deluxe
Old 09-26-2013, 01:10 AM
Road Warrior

With the fairing off, can you see the radio model number and what the name of the Original Equipment Manufacturer? Who made the radio? Is it still H/K?
Vietnam Veteran "lIgh tlhab" (Ride Free)

Old 09-26-2013, 01:10 AM

P