Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Road King windshield grommets

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 04:02 AM
Homeward Bound
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacement Road King windshield grommets

I need to replace the windshield docking bushings on my Road King.

Where I live, 'BUSHING (4) Part No: 67621-94' ... to give then their full name, rank and number ... are listed as $10.93 + 20% tax if I was to pay it ... $52.46.

Thankfully, Drag Specialities does a set of 4 for $19.95.

I'm also interested in the idea of ShieldShackle because I never been able to work out what that damn piece of bent wire was supposed to be doing ...

My question is, has anyone ever tried knocking up their own bushings out of stainless steel or some other metal?

I'm thinking plain metal bushings and a ShieldShackle type device is going to fix and hold the fairing in place far better without any wear.

Yes, I know the trick of giving them a half turn to get more life out of them, but I think I have used up all their extra lives.

Thanks

(BTW, I don't add any green links to my posts, it seems the sponsors' advertising system does).

Attached Thumbnails Replacement Road King windshield grommets-t2ec16rhjhie9nysehcsbrcvff5bs-60_35.jpg  
Old 09-21-2013, 08:21 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,246 Likes on 810 Posts

I too was rather taken aback at their price. Though I was given a lower price than you.

I thought about using a square o-ring and washers on the side, either stainless or fiber. Didnt do it as it just wasn't worth my time. I'd be a little concerned about buzz with metal side washers.

I will try to remember to look for cheaper alternative grommets at the next big auto swap meet.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:30 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

The key to making them last (as you might expect) is to minimize the number of times you take the windshield on and off. In addition to that, I spray the grommets with spray cleaner before I install/reinstall the windshield. That kind of lubes them and makes the brackets less likely to tear the rubber.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:15 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
The key to making them last (as you might expect) is to minimize the number of times you take the windshield on and off. In addition to that, I spray the grommets with spray cleaner before I install/reinstall the windshield. That kind of lubes them and makes the brackets less likely to tear the rubber.
Good point, but the real key is to pay attention very closely to put the attachments in the center of the rubber every time you put your windshield on.
I saw a jerk salesman showing someone the "Detachable Windshield" on a showroom bike once, He snatched it off, then jammed it back down trying to force the spring clips down, slapping on the top of the shield like a fool. I remember him saying something like "It comes off in a couple of seconds, but takes half an hour to get the damn thing back on!"
Line up the two bottom carefully, then ease the top ones in, it's a piece of cake.
You can properly remove/replace them a hundred times without damage; or force them once like a jerk, and they are shot.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:44 PM
HazyHog
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Probably better to stick with rubber bushings. Metal on metal would create an annoying noise.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:24 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Just replaced all 4 in the front, $26.00 with tax from HD dealer....best thing is not to over tighten the bolts holding them....they will buckle and a bitch to put the windshield on. It truly does take second to take off, put on windshield.

The following 2 users liked this post by giacomo56:
rideerr (12-19-2020), Superdog3:16 (05-27-2021)
Old 09-21-2013, 10:13 PM
Df41
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I paid $5.** each for them with tax from the HD dealer here in Stuart. Don't remember the change part. I just replaced one.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:27 PM
Homeward Bound
Banned

Originally Posted by Icebreaker
Probably better to stick with rubber bushings. Metal on metal would create an annoying noise.
Cannot see why if they were an interference fit and bolted into place.

Almost the whole of the rest of the vehicle is metal to metal bolted together.

As it is, I find I tend to loosen and then bolt into place the windshield when using it ... and what those damned spring clips are meant to be doing except for getting in the way, I have not a clue in hell. I may remove them.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:50 PM
Steady Eddy
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the ShieldShackle on my RK. They are just the thing for keeping the shield secure and difficult to steal. BUT....they also make removing the shield a pain in the ***. It takes the special safety-Torx wrench (included) and a 7/16 wrench to get the damned thing off, and that's AFTER you remove the chrome bolt-head covers (also included, IF you use them). I don't remove the shield, so I like them. Summary:......the ShieldShackle is a great anti-theft device, but if you remove your shield frequently, you'll learn to hate it.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:22 AM
Homeward Bound
Banned

Originally Posted by Steady Eddy
... you'll learn to hate it.
Yah, there are quite a few of those on an old Harley ... I think they are cleverly designed to psychologically hook those individuals with love/hate complexes, or even "rescuer types". ;-)

Last edited by Homeward Bound; 09-30-2013 at 05:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Replacement Road King windshield grommets