Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 limited cb mic question

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 12:01 AM
bingram1
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a pleasant surprise today, I bought a throat mike off of Ebay and went out to the bike this morning to try it out on the cb radio. I turned the bike on, it synced up with my phone and I plugged in the throat mike and was switching over to the cb when the phone rang. I thought what the heck lets try it. So I answered it thru the bike and said hello and my son started talking so I said can you hear me and he said of course, why. I told him I was talking thru the bike and he said it sounded great. So that answered that question. Next tried it with the cb and a trucker said loud and clear. No push to talk thru the phone and used ptt button on handlebar for the cb. I dont really plan on using either one of them very much, the cb on group rides, and just to answer the phone long enough to ask if its important. If not I'll call you when I can. But I guess I have my mike problem solved.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:23 PM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the CB installed on my 2014 ultra. Now find out the same as all of you the hand hand mic won't work.

bingram---what exactly did you get from Ebay. Do you have pics or model number?

Old 09-25-2013, 10:58 PM
bingram1
Tourer

Originally Posted by bksmoky
I had the CB installed on my 2014 ultra. Now find out the same as all of you the hand hand mic won't work.

bingram---what exactly did you get from Ebay. Do you have pics or model number?
I asked about it here before I bought it and got mixed reviews. I decided to try it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171115353428...84.m1439.l2649

Old 09-26-2013, 04:23 PM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Harley hand held mic is history!

Hey Everyone,

I will share an email as I have been in contact with John Lazzeroni. He is the owner of J&M Corp. I also spent time with my dealer who spent time talking to MOCO tech support. See below:

John,

I spent some time today at my local Harley shop while they talked to tech support in Milwaukee.

The story I got is Harley made the choice to keep this wire lead out on purpose. Probably Corporate lawyers, but they no longer want anyone to take their hands off the bike's hand grips for safety reasons.

They did forgot however to pass this on in there parts catalog or owners manual or the salesand parts reps!!

I am not a techy guy but its seems to me your only choice is to come up with a hand held blue tooth mic. If you did, I would suggest some type of tether strap in the event the mic had to be dropped for safety reasons.

I don't like the direction Harley is moving with all of this. It might sound outrageous now. But will we someday have to wear a helmet for the bike to start? So much for the mantra of "freedom of the road".

Jeff

To: 'Jeff

Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2013 12:25 PM
Subject: RE: RE: 2014 Harley Ultra Classic?

Jeff ,,,,,,,,,

You can post on HD-Forums anything I say ,,,,,,,,

As for the hand mike, I am just not sure yet how we are going to do that with Harley's omissions to the harness ,,,,,,,

John Lazzeroni

J&M® Corporation
1415 South Cherry Avenue
Tucson AZ 85713
800-358-0881
John@Jmcorp.com
www.Jmcorp.com
www.facebook.com/pages/JM-Corporation/101134489945663?ref=ts
www.youtube.com/user/JMcorpMotorcyclAudio?feature=mhum

Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:05 PM
To: John Lazzeroni
Subject: Re: RE: 2014 Harley Ultra Classic?

John,
Thanks for the reply. Is there a way for you to update me in the future?
Can I post your comments on HDForums or do you prefer too?
Thanks!
Jeff

To: 'Jeff
Subject: RE: 2014 Harley Ultra Classic?
Sent: Thu, Sep 26, 2013 2:56:23 AM

Jeff ,,,,,,,

Funny you ask ,,, just last week we set out to make a CB hand mike kit for my new 2014 ultra LTD which came from Harley with the CB factory installed ,,,,,,,

Guess what ,,, SOMEONE at Harley forgot to even put the CB PTT wires in the plug cable going to the headset jack ,,,, hence NO WAY to key the CB from that headset jack ,,,,,,,,

I was astounded ,,,,,,,,,,, and they obviously forgot about it during the design stage because they brought 5 wires to a 6-pin plug under the seat and that is all that is available for the headset jack plug,,,,,

So I am thinking about how to do it clean, without making a mess ,,,,

John Lazzeroni

J&M® Corporation
1415 South Cherry Avenue
Tucson AZ 85713
800-358-0881
John@Jmcorp.com
www.Jmcorp.com
www.facebook.com/pages/JM-Corporation/101134489945663?ref=ts
www.youtube.com/user/JMcorpMotorcyclAudio?feature=mhum

Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 7:13 PM
To: john@jmcorp.com
Subject: 2014 Harley Ultra Classic?

John,

My last ride was an 09 Ultra. I bought a hand held CB Mic from your company and it worked fine.

I now have a 2014 Ultra Classic. In case you didn&apos;t know that CB is now standard on on the Limited only.

I did have the dealer install a CB as an option. The push to talk button works fine with my J&M head set on my 3/4 helmet. However, the hand held mic doesn&apos;t function. I am still going to follow this up with Harley.

However, you company exists because your products are better than factory and I have had Goldwings and now Ultra&apos;s.

I know you folks need time to catch up to the 2014 models. If your products can over ride what Harley failed to do I will certainly be ordering from you.

I know you follow HDForums. Here is at least one thread I found talking about the hand held mic.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-question.html

Thanks!

Jeff

Old 09-26-2013, 07:59 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bingram1
I asked about it here before I bought it and got mixed reviews. I decided to try it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171115353428...84.m1439.l2649
does it work on 14's? all i need is a mic anyway, i can push the ptt button to ttransmit.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:27 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 508 Likes on 443 Posts

Jeff, thanks for posting the email from J&M Corp. Maybe an electronics guru will figure out a way to make the handheld mic work with the CB.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:48 PM
bingram1
Tourer

Originally Posted by rmc115
does it work on 14's? all i need is a mic anyway, i can push the ptt button to ttransmit.
I have a '14 Limited and it works fine. I can talk on the phone with it and then I have to use the ptt button to talk on the cb. I mainly bought it for the cb but found out it will work with the phone too. Have not tried it with intercom cuz I dont want the wife to find out that it works for that too.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:17 PM
WBH3rd
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a new 2014 with the Infotainment system and I want ONLY a microphone that is compatible with this system. I can listen to radio, phone calls, Intercom and CB over the fairing-mounted speakers. I don't want to wear a headset. Does anyone else with a new 2014 wonder where we can buy just a microphone that plugs in and works with the system properly?

Old 11-23-2013, 09:14 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

the throat mic does work as discussed earlier, no other options yet. Mike

Old 11-24-2013, 06:20 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

If I had the 2014 and wanted the PTT connection in the console connector, I would simply locate the two wires in the harness that plugs into the rear of the infotainment rig that are used on the handlebar PTT button contacts, splice into them , and run two wires from the splice back to the console plug and be done with it. That's not a complicated mod. Sad that HD didn't include PTT in the new bikes console connector. But's this is a do it yourselfer project and I don't own a 2014 nor do I have the electrical diagnostic manual to help me identify the PTT wires in the harness.

I would suspect that sooner or later someone will come out with a kit to accomplish this mod. Regardless, there will still need to be hard wires run from here to there to key the PTT circuit. The best solution is buy a quality headset/boom mic (inside the helmet) and use the PTT on the handlebars. Not trying to be a Safety Sam, but you have to admit that's a lot safer than tying- up your left hand with a CB mic. Sure cops do it, but.....

So much for the 2014 "improvements".

Last edited by Lowcountry Joe; 11-24-2013 at 06:23 AM.

Quick Reply: 2014 limited cb mic question