Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

14 SG 12.5 ape install with PICS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 07:42 AM
kj68
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Gotwages, can you elaborate on how you got the fairing off?
Thanks, kj

Old 09-24-2013, 08:23 AM
EC145Pilot
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gotwages
Pics below start off with me removing the fairing to see what kind of a mess was actually behind that thing. You can see Harley basically turned behind the speakers into little bass boxes by enclosing it. The next picture shows the three plugs that run through the bars for your hand controls....nine wires, that's all. These all needed to be extended but with 12.5 Wild 1s Chubbies, the throttle cable, brake and clutch lines were all good, no extensions needed. The third picture shows the connections and mounting point for where the navigation system mounts for the 6.5 Infotainment system. The next picture shows how easy it is to access the handlebar clamps once you remove the lower plastic piece and move the fairing (which is also quite easy). The final picture shows what is behind the left side of the display...nothing. So in the future if you want, I am sure you could run a switch into there or turn it into a cubby like the other side.
Could you give a little more info on moving the fairing. The lower plastic piece seems easy, once you remove the ignition switch, but haven't figured out how to move the firing.
Thanks,

Old 09-24-2013, 09:22 AM
DocO
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent! Glad to hear that no extensions are needed. 12.5 is what I had on my FLHX and they were perfect. The only thing I'm wondering about is with my Ultra Limited, will the wiring for the heated grips be long enough..

Old 09-24-2013, 09:46 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Great job, and kudos for doing it yourself. Bike looks great.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:11 AM
gotwages
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To remove the fairing, locate the four screws that are near your speakers and towards the bottom of the inner fairing and remove those. They face towards the front of the bike and have torx heads on them. Then remove the three screws that hold your windscreen on but make sure you are supporting the fairing when you remove the final one. Then easily bring the fairing down and disconnect the two plugs that plug into the high and low beams behind the headlight. Then after the plastic piece and ignition are off, you will locate the acorn nuts and bolts that hold the front turn signal lights on and remove those. There is an acorn on top and then you need to remove the entire bolt. It is threaded on both sides. There are two of them on each side facing in. Then to give yourself access to the handlebar clamp, rotate the fairing down towards the front of the bike.

Last edited by gotwages; 09-24-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:12 AM
gotwages
Tourer

DocO, I just did a 13 CVO Ultra this weekend and he put the same bars on and the heated grips were not long enough so we needed to extended them.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:41 AM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

What soldering did you have to do?

Old 09-24-2013, 12:00 PM
gotwages
Tourer

All the wires except the throttle wires needed to be extended about 6 inches but I would recommend going at least 8 inches just to be safe.

Last edited by gotwages; 09-24-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:15 PM
DocO
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DocO, I just did a 13 CVO Ultra this weekend and he put the same bars on and the heated grips were not long enough so we needed to extended them.

Great, thanks for that!

Old 09-24-2013, 12:27 PM
kj68
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks alot! I think I'm going with the Harley 2"pullback bars so hopefully all wiring ,including the heated grips Will be long enough. Thanks again for answering my question. I'll probably have more!
Kj

To remove the fairing, locate the four screws that are near your speakers and towards the bottom of the inner fairing and remove those. They face towards the front of the bike and have torx heads on them. Then remove the three screws that hold your windscreen on but make sure you are supporting the fairing when you remove the final one. Then easily bring the fairing down and disconnect the two plugs that plug into the high and low beams behind the headlight. Then after the plastic piece and ignition are off, you will locate the acorn nuts and bolts that hold the front turn signal lights on and remove those. There is an acorn on top and then you need to remove the entire bolt. It is threaded on both sides. There are two of them on each side facing in. Then to give yourself access to the handlebar clamp, rotate the fairing down towards the front of the bike.

Quick Reply: 14 SG 12.5 ape install with PICS!!!