Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extreme oil out of breather...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 03:01 PM
tbell1961
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extreme oil out of breather...

Hi all,

I have researched this, but have been unable to find something exactly like this.

My bike is 2005 Ultra (more below). I bought it 3 years ago and the mods had been done. The only thing I have done was change the pipes and replaced the screaming eagle blue air filter with a K&N filter.

I have not had a problem with oil out of the breather until recently. I had the bike dynoed this year after changing from the crossover to the 2-into-1. The day I was riding back from the dyno I saw a few drops on the pipes from the air filter, but nothing major. The oil had been topped up before the test but wasn't overfilled.

This past week, I was travelling from Ontario to Tennessee on a trip. On the first day, after about 3 hours of travelling at highway speed, I had a large amount of oil come out the breather, enough to send smoke across the highway. I pulled over and the bike was covered with oil. I cleaned it out, checked the air filter and continued on without a problem. The next day, again at highway speed, the same thing happened. Other than the smoke and oil, I did not feel any difference in how the bike performed. After cleaning it up, I went several days with no problem. The third and final time it happened was on the Blue Ridge Parkway, travelling behind a very slow group of vehicles for an extended time at slow speed, mostly in 2nd and 3rd gear. This time I could feel the rear cylinder heating up and then the oil and smoke came out of the breather.

Before the trip, I changed the oil and made sure to keep it on the low side. It just registered at the bottom end of the cold level when on the side stand.

I stopped at several dealers. Most were of little or no assistance. They could look at it, if I left it, but I was with six others so I didn't want to interfere with their trip. One dealer, Pidgon Forge HD was extremely helpful and suggested the umbrella valve and filter may need changing. The kit is only 14.00, but I don't want to start just changing parts.

The air filter was cleaned and oiled prior to the trip.

Any suggestions.

Bike is 2005 Ultra Fuel Injected with 95 upgrade and screaming eagle flat top heads. Screaming Eagle Hi-Flo air filter. Supertrapp 2 into 1 SuperMegs. 25,000 miles on bike. I have spent the last few days looking for answers here and other forums. I do have the service manual for the bike.

tbell

Old 09-24-2013, 03:18 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by tbell1961
Hi all,

I have researched this, but have been unable to find something exactly like this.

My bike is 2005 Ultra (more below). I bought it 3 years ago and the mods had been done. The only thing I have done was change the pipes and replaced the screaming eagle blue air filter with a K&N filter.

I have not had a problem with oil out of the breather until recently. I had the bike dynoed this year after changing from the crossover to the 2-into-1. The day I was riding back from the dyno I saw a few drops on the pipes from the air filter, but nothing major. The oil had been topped up before the test but wasn't overfilled.

This past week, I was travelling from Ontario to Tennessee on a trip. On the first day, after about 3 hours of travelling at highway speed, I had a large amount of oil come out the breather, enough to send smoke across the highway. I pulled over and the bike was covered with oil. I cleaned it out, checked the air filter and continued on without a problem. The next day, again at highway speed, the same thing happened. Other than the smoke and oil, I did not feel any difference in how the bike performed. After cleaning it up, I went several days with no problem. The third and final time it happened was on the Blue Ridge Parkway, travelling behind a very slow group of vehicles for an extended time at slow speed, mostly in 2nd and 3rd gear. This time I could feel the rear cylinder heating up and then the oil and smoke came out of the breather.

Before the trip, I changed the oil and made sure to keep it on the low side. It just registered at the bottom end of the cold level when on the side stand.

I stopped at several dealers. Most were of little or no assistance. They could look at it, if I left it, but I was with six others so I didn't want to interfere with their trip. One dealer, Pidgon Forge HD was extremely helpful and suggested the umbrella valve and filter may need changing. The kit is only 14.00, but I don't want to start just changing parts.

The air filter was cleaned and oiled prior to the trip.

Any suggestions.

Bike is 2005 Ultra Fuel Injected with 95 upgrade and screaming eagle flat top heads. Screaming Eagle Hi-Flo air filter. Supertrapp 2 into 1 SuperMegs. 25,000 miles on bike. I have spent the last few days looking for answers here and other forums. I do have the service manual for the bike.

tbell

On my 2010 I had a lot of blow-by in the beginning as well. When I changed out the rocker boxes for powder coated ones, I changed the breathers as well. The updated parts for sure made a difference, drastically reducing the oil in my air filter.

It's an easy cheap first step to try. Just two gaskets and two breather kits.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:19 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Could be sticky oil bypass valve, bum tensioners, or a bum oil pump. Unless of course the tensioner system was upgraded. At 25k I'd certainly check.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:22 AM
tbell1961
Novice

Thanks Dawg, I appreciate your opinion.

My plan was to inspect the tensioner pads this winter, but I guess I will need to move that up if I want to ride before winter.

A quick question, is there a way to check if the bypass valve is faulty or sticky. Also, if it was sticky/faulty, would I have seen an increase in Oil pressure prior to the blow out of oil. From what I saw, the pressure never went above normal...(32).

Thanks again for your feedback.

tbell

Old 09-25-2013, 07:28 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Many complain of this symptom from just having too much oil in the crank case. If you recently changed oil it may be worth while to check the level.
I run about 1/2 way up the stick, on the side stand when hot, and have zero issues.
It ends up being about 3 1/2 quarts versus the 4 quarts the manual states, and it makes a big difference in weeping.
Dawg would know best of any Problems, if you get that far into it, but check simple 1st.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:33 AM
tbell1961
Novice

Thanks VTL for taking time to respond. I had done a lot of reading when I had seen the first drips, and most of it talked about too much oil. So when I changed the oil I made sure that I left it low, I actually put a little under 3 1/2 quarts. While on the trip, several of the guys I was with said that they thought it might be the problem, but they all saw my oil level and could see that I was on the low side. I wish that could be the problem, I would have no problem running a little low.

The other thing is that this is not a dripping or weeping problem. When it blew out and hit the pipes, etc, I had enough smoke to cover for lanes of traffic for a minute or so.

Thanks again.

Tbell

Old 09-25-2013, 10:57 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

question:

is the oil drip/seep/flow constant?

or does it appear to just happen at very specific rpm ranges only ?
If so, does it smell at all like gas ? ( wipe some from the a/c cover and sniff it)
Is your oil level dropping or does it seem to stay near to previously checked level?
If all these conditions are met, you may have reversion.
which may be tuned out by altering the exhaust.
since you have a supertrapp, you could try more like 20 ~23 disks with closed cap or 10 ~13 disks with 1.5" open cap

mike

Old 09-26-2013, 10:45 AM
tbell1961
Novice
Default update......unknown part in cam chest

Thanks for replying Mike

is the oil drip/seep/flow constant? No...it just started....and then just sudden blow out.

or does it appear to just happen at very specific rpm ranges only ? I tried to check for that.....was in the 3000 range.
If so, does it smell at all like gas ? ( wipe some from the a/c cover and sniff it) I should have checked for this but didn't. Its all cleaned up now!
Is your oil level dropping or does it seem to stay near to previously checked level?Yes it dropped after each blow out.
If all these conditions are met, you may have reversion.
which may be tuned out by altering the exhaust.
since you have a supertrapp, you could try more like 20 ~23 disks with closed cap or 10 ~13 disks with 1.5" open capIm running closed end with 18 discs. I have it tuned to that. Prior to tuning I had fewer discs and no problem.

I will add another post to this thread on what I found when I went to inspect the tensioner pads.

THanks again

tbgell

Old 09-26-2013, 11:04 AM
tbell1961
Novice
Default update .... unknown part in Cam chest

I took the cam cover off to inspect the Tensioner Pads,,,which look real good.

When i took the cover off, these two plastic pieces cam out.... Any idea what they are?

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/attac...1&d=1380211295

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/attac...1&d=1380211369

Thanks

Tbell

Attached Thumbnails Extreme oil out of breather...-unknown1.jpg   Extreme oil out of breather...-unknown2.jpg  
Old 10-02-2013, 06:38 PM
kewlhog
Advanced
Default Pieces

They look like pieces of the front cam plate chain guide.

Quick Reply: Extreme oil out of breather...