Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parade fan false reading and Ward Part Werks FCS

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 08:54 AM
uwiik
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Parade fan false reading and Ward Part Werks FCS

I bought a 5.2" SPAL fan (essentially the exact same thing as parade fan)and did a DIY mounting where the horn used to be... Temp drop drastically according to my Power Vision gauge...However, I highly suspect it is a false reading, the strongest flow goes directly to the temperature probe, off course it will read drastic temp drop, does not necessarily mean it actually cools the actual head far from the temperature probe.

Did I assume this right?

On the other hand, Ward Part Werks blows air where it matter the most, where the actual combustion take place.

Can anyone confirm my analogy? I really prefer to save money and use what I have right now and buy WPW FCS later when I have spare cash. But if all my SPAL fan will do is giving me false reading and blow hot air to my right leg, then I think I need to fork out my kid's education money and buy WPW fan. My CHT without fan routinely reach 325F on gridlock traffic even with 13.0 AFR.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:05 AM
prezflyr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Louisiana and it gets real hot down here in the Summer. I have an 09 Ultra and it came with no oil cooler. I installed an HD oil cooler and Wards fans. I guess anything you do will help when you are stuck in traffic. At least I feel better now.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:05 AM
Drilln'Boss
Club Member

Received 5,633 Likes on 1,667 Posts

"On the other hand, Ward Part Werks blows air where it matter the most, where the actual combustion take place."
Yes, you are absolutely correct! You should put that other thing on ebay.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:39 AM
uwiik
Tourer

Originally Posted by Drilln'Boss
"On the other hand, Ward Part Werks blows air where it matter the most, where the actual combustion take place."
Yes, you are absolutely correct! You should put that other thing on ebay.
Nah, I am going to wire my 5.2 Pusher fan in reverse to make it a puller fan and DIY a shroud for my oil cooler... Jason have the pictures on his website and he clearly stated that it is the best oil cooler fan you can build...

Old 10-01-2013, 09:42 AM
uwiik
Tourer

Originally Posted by prezflyr
I live in Louisiana and it gets real hot down here in the Summer. I have an 09 Ultra and it came with no oil cooler. I installed an HD oil cooler and Wards fans. I guess anything you do will help when you are stuck in traffic. At least I feel better now.
Do yon measure your temp? How many degree drop do you see when the WPW fan is on?

Old 10-01-2013, 09:47 AM
Drilln'Boss
Club Member

Originally Posted by uwiik
Do yon measure your temp? How many degree drop do you see when the WPW fan is on?
On my bike it dropped the temp 30 degrees.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:01 AM
uwiik
Tourer

On my bike it dropped the temp 30 degrees.
Then I definitely need both head and oil cooler fan. 30F drop is not enough for me, I go 325F easy even with 13.0 AFR, stock oil cooler and Amsoil SAE60.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Drilln'Boss
Club Member

That 30 degrees is for the hi-way, on a hot day the CHT was about 290. Now 260 degrees.
The fans work best in stop and go traffic. I was running about 305 on a hot day and now it's around 245. About 60 degree drop in town, 30 on the hi-way.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:53 AM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by uwiik
I bought a 5.2" SPAL fan (essentially the exact same thing as parade fan)and did a DIY mounting where the horn used to be... Temp drop drastically according to my Power Vision gauge...However, I highly suspect it is a false reading, the strongest flow goes directly to the temperature probe, off course it will read drastic temp drop, does not necessarily mean it actually cools the actual head far from the temperature probe.

Did I assume this right?

On the other hand, Ward Part Werks blows air where it matter the most, where the actual combustion take place.

Can anyone confirm my analogy? I really prefer to save money and use what I have right now and buy WPW FCS later when I have spare cash. But if all my SPAL fan will do is giving me false reading and blow hot air to my right leg, then I think I need to fork out my kid's education money and buy WPW fan. My CHT without fan routinely reach 325F on gridlock traffic even with 13.0 AFR.
IF your bike never gets into the EITMS mode then the fan is working, and the temp reading is just irrelevant.
Just a thought!

Old 10-01-2013, 11:14 AM
uwiik
Tourer

About 60 degree drop in town, 30 on the hi-way.
That's a lot of drop....i am getting it...

Quick Reply: Parade fan false reading and Ward Part Werks FCS