Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accessory Switch - 12 Volt Power Not Working No Power 2007 Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 12:26 PM
MattButala
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accessory Switch - 12 Volt Power Not Working No Power 2007 Street Glide

First time post here, need some help.

I installed a 12 Volt accessory plug under the seat on my 2007 street glide. I plugged a USB power inverter into the supply and them a Apple lightning charging cord into that as well as my phone. Turned on the ACC for the bike, phone started charging right away. Now the problem... About 5 seconds into this. The phone stopped charging and the ACC light on the inner fairing switch also stopped glowing green. I immediately thought, well I blew a fuse. So, I opened the fuse box, replaced the 15 AMP fuse and still nothing. So, I checked the continuity of the fuse and it was good. My question is, do you think it's got to be the switch itself? What else could it be? I've looked around and it looks line the HD part number is: 71535-96 and is about $25. Any help with this would he appreciated. I really don't want to take it in for something that could be so simple. Also, what caused this? The phone only draws 1 amp? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:51 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I don't know how much power the USB inverter pulls. What the phone pulls may not be the issue.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:48 PM
MattButala
Stage III

Originally Posted by qtrracer
I don't know how much power the USB inverter pulls. What the phone pulls may not be the issue.
Do you think it's the switch that went bad?

Old 10-02-2013, 02:06 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

I am assuming that you used the supplied lead to wire in the 12 accessory plug. I'd start at what you did and the plug itself first. Checking from the plug and working your way back to the supplied lead. Do you have power to where you added the plug? Was your work checked after it went dead?

Old 10-02-2013, 02:10 PM
MattButala
Stage III

Originally Posted by qtrracer
I am assuming that you used the supplied lead to wire in the 12 accessory plug. I'd start at what you did and the plug itself first. Checking from the plug and working your way back to the supplied lead. Do you have power to where you added the plug? Was your work checked after it went dead?
Yes I used everything out of the package from HD. I didn't check power at the connection before the 12 Volt connector plug, but will do that tonight. What has me wondering if it's the switch, is the fact that when I turn on the switch is that it no longer glows green, the switch itself on the inner fairing doesn't come on at all now....

Old 10-02-2013, 02:25 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by MattButala
Yes I used everything out of the package from HD. I didn't check power at the connection before the 12 Volt connector plug, but will do that tonight. What has me wondering if it's the switch, is the fact that when I turn on the switch is that it no longer glows green, the switch itself on the inner fairing doesn't come on at all now....
Could be no power to the switch, could be the light burned out in the switch and there is still power coming out of the switch when it's switched on. Check the power coming in and check the power coming out. Once you find the issue and it's working again if the light still doesn't glow, then replace the switch.