Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tapered Short Stem Mirrors - Black (92023-03A)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 07:13 PM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tapered Short Stem Mirrors - Black (92023-03A)

Well, after the first few rides with my 12" Yaffe Classic Bagger Apes, I'm now not comfortable using my stock fairing mirrors. I've been looking at the bar-mounted mirrors and I really like H-D's Tapered Short Stem Mirrors - Black (92023-03A).

Do any of you SG owners use the Tapered mirrors in the Short Stem or Long Stem version? Is there a viable reason to go with one or the other?

Photos would be helpful, too, if you have them.

Thanks, guys.

Last edited by FenderGuy53; 10-03-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:03 PM
billbuzz
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Mirrors

Just got done putting my 11" Santee apes on my street glide. I never liked the fairing mounted mirrors from day one. Once I got the bars on I knew the mirrors had to go. I had the long stem black tapered mirrors off my 2011 wide glide that I traded in on the 2013 street glide. Put them on but they did'nt look right. Too tall. Stuck out and up too much. Bought the short stem ones and they are perfect. Just went out and took this pic. Sorry it's the only pic I have for now.

Attached Thumbnails Tapered Short Stem Mirrors - Black (92023-03A)-photo_20131003_190514.jpg  
Old 10-03-2013, 08:39 PM
eviltwin69
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the short stem mirrors on my '12 SG, thought the look was ok until I installed the Ness mini ovals. Loved them, however my wife liked the stock style because she could see who was coming up behind us. My $.02.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:48 PM
SIX6ONE
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too run the ness mini ovals on my 12" Yaffee MBB's. No pics with me right now but they are concave so you get a bit wider view. Great Mirrors. I think you should run the short stem ones as the other will stick up too far. personal pref...

Old 10-03-2013, 10:49 PM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by billbuzz
Just got done putting my 11" Santee apes on my street glide. I never liked the fairing mounted mirrors from day one. Once I got the bars on I knew the mirrors had to go. I had the long stem black tapered mirrors off my 2011 wide glide that I traded in on the 2013 street glide. Put them on but they did'nt look right. Too tall. Stuck out and up too much. Bought the short stem ones and they are perfect. Just went out and took this pic. Sorry it's the only pic I have for now.
Hey, I appreciate you making the time to take the photo, billbuzz. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words!

I really like the way those mirrors look on your SG. And being black they blend right in with those tins. Do they give you an unobstructed view of the highway behind you?

Old 10-03-2013, 11:04 PM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by eviltwin69
I had the short stem mirrors on my '12 SG, thought the look was ok until I installed the Ness mini ovals. Loved them, however my wife liked the stock style because she could see who was coming up behind us. My $.02.
Wait a minute. Let me get this straight. You installed the Tapered Short Stem Mirrors, then replaced them with Ness Mini Ovals because you liked the Ness's more, then went back to the Tapered Short Stem Mirrors because Your Highness, the wife, liked the stock style better? Whose bike is this, brother, yours or your wife's?

Only kidding, eviltwin69 (couldn't resist).

Regarding the Tapered Short Stem Mirrors, were you able to get a full view of the turf behind you? I like these mirrors because they're black and because you can get them for around $70, delivered.

Thanks.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:08 PM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SIX6ONE
I too run the ness mini ovals on my 12" Yaffee MBB's. No pics with me right now but they are concave so you get a bit wider view. Great Mirrors. I think you should run the short stem ones as the other will stick up too far. personal pref...
Agreed on the short stem version, as long as they do what they're supposed to do. Thanks.

I'm going to take a look at the Ness Mini Ovals, too, just for the heck of it.

Thanks, SIX6ONE.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:12 PM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member

OK, not liking the Ness Mini Ovals - too small and not my style.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:23 PM
xantasm
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I felt the same way going to 12" apes so I wandered down to the local stealer to get a feel for what was available and I decided on a set of the black tribal mirrors 92398-09 and I really like them. On my Dad's trike I put square mirrors with long stem mounts since he has 10" and no fairing mirrors and was not stoked about putting that style on my bike. The tribal mirrors are longer but it feels like getting a kind of panoramic view of your sides which is really nice. Plus from the front the long sleek tribal cut look does not stand out like a sore thumb over the fairing lol. Got a friend with chrome Ride to Live, Live to Ride with brass eagles and just don't care for the look of them sticking up over the fairing. Don't have a pic handy, will try to get one tomorrow and edit the post and add it in.

These are the ones I have - http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/tribal-mirrors

EDIT - shitty iPhone garage pics included (yes my stock mirrors have not come off yet lol)

The tribals are roughly 6" wide 2.5" tall and sit a bit over 2" above the mount so they are around 4.5-5" above hand controls depending on how they are adjusted since angular and have a high point. As far as the black tribal standing out contrast, on a dark bike I think the black tribal blends in pretty well even with no other tribal stuff on the bike. I am actually going to a flame look for the bike and it is getting more flame stuff later which the black tribal still works with IMO.

Attached Thumbnails Tapered Short Stem Mirrors - Black (92023-03A)-img_0255.jpg   Tapered Short Stem Mirrors - Black (92023-03A)-img_0256.jpg   Tapered Short Stem Mirrors - Black (92023-03A)-img_0260.jpg  

Last edited by xantasm; 10-04-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:35 PM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by xantasm
The tribal mirrors are longer but it feels like getting a kind of panoramic view of your sides which is really nice. Plus from the front the long sleek tribal cut look does not stand out like a sore thumb over the fairing lol.

These are the ones I have - http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/tribal-mirrors
Hmmm... I think those would work. I do like the sleek, low profile look.

Do you know the height and width of the mirror itself? And is that stem comparable in size to the one used on the Tapered Short Stem mirror?

Do you have other "Tribal" accessories on your SG? I'm wondering if it would look out of place being the only "Tribal" accessory on my SG.

Thanks for your input.

Quick Reply: Tapered Short Stem Mirrors - Black (92023-03A)