Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 10:39 PM
motorcyclelockman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2014 Headlight

To start with, I LOVE everything about my 2014 Limited. The only thing that I am not excited about is the headlight. I live in a rural area and this thing will shine a mile out front of you, but it is in about a 2 foot radius. It is like a spot light. As long as you are going straight or riding around street lights, it is great, but you get out in the country in the twisties, you are screwed. Can't see the side of the road at all. Please, someone tell me what to do. I do not want to hit another deer. ( No fun. This is another story) What can I do. I'm pretty sure I'm not he only one.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:46 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Run the headlight on low beam and turn on your passing lamps.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:51 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

I would agree.

when driving I do NOT see the 2014's as well.

I saw a car pull out in front of a 2014 last week...we were both waiting to pull out of home depot onto a 3 lane road...

I saw the bike coming due to the size and sun reflections on the chrome...but the headlight and spots do not cast a wide enough beam...and the guy in front of me pulled out.
a wreck was avoided but darn close.

2.) when these bikes come up behind, they disappear in my side mirror when they get close.

Riders don't assume you are seen.

mike

Old 10-06-2013, 01:32 AM
orthsj
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcyclelockman
To start with, I LOVE everything about my 2014 Limited. The only thing that I am not excited about is the headlight. I live in a rural area and this thing will shine a mile out front of you, but it is in about a 2 foot radius. It is like a spot light. As long as you are going straight or riding around street lights, it is great, but you get out in the country in the twisties, you are screwed. Can't see the side of the road at all. Please, someone tell me what to do. I do not want to hit another deer. ( No fun. This is another story) What can I do. I'm pretty sure I'm not he only one.
Take your bike to the dealer and ask them to reprogram your auxiliary lights so that they stay on with the headlight on LOW or HIGH beam. This will eliminate the unlit area in front of your bike when you have it on HIGH beam *and* light the sides of the road. My stealership charged me 1/2 hour of labor to do this, but I was the first to ask about it, so they needed to figure it out. It did take them about 30 minutes.

The 2014 bikes have to be reprogrammed, you can no longer splice wires like the 2013 and down to do this (which I've done on 3 bikes). Bad or good? You can decide. The 2014 bikes have much more integrated electronics/electrical. I happen to think that is good.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:32 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

jasnusc will trade you for his Dual Halogen.

He's got a thread going where he is disappointed his SGS didn't come with the LED version.

lp

Old 10-06-2013, 07:11 AM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Riding in the back of a club ride every one said they could not tell if my headlight was on or not. Checking against a wall it was way to low adjusted it up and all is good now. Also while checking one of the spot lights was not straight with front end. I have a 14 Trike.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:23 AM
flhxmc
Tourer

Originally Posted by lp
jasnusc will trade you for his Dual Halogen.

He's got a thread going where he is disappointed his SGS didn't come with the LED version.

lp
Yeah you should do this, cause that guy went through hell being one of the first limited owners that puked its coolant. Now he has a streetglide and wants his LED back.

Mike

Old 10-06-2013, 09:04 AM
GoGetter5832
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting you bring this up. Last week I was on a ride with some of my friends. I have a 2014 street glide. We were on some back country roads and it was at night. Roads I am unfamiliar with. I was leading and I honestly had to pull over and tell one of them to start leading because I could not see that well with the headlight. When I turn my brights on it worked a lot better but with the normal headlight it doesn't seem to shoot out far enough. Kinda like the OP mentioned, it was like a "spot light." On my last bike I had an LED light. It made the world of difference and I would love to get one for my 2014 street glide but just can't pay the price right now. Those headlights are very expensive but well worth it.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:38 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Try adjusting the spots and headlight to see if it helps. The best lights in the world adjusted poorly will not be as effective as properly adjusted lesser quality ones.

I take off the trim rings and go for a night ride on roads never travelled where it is safe with needed tools handy when it is nice and dark to make my adjustments. I have gone so far as to use a small bungee and a towell or rag to wrap around 2 of the 3 lights so I can isolate them and adjust them individually. It made a difference for me.

I do the minor adjustments on the spots by tweaking them by hand, yeah it probably bends the light slightly but in over 25 years of riding FLH's I never had a problem doing it this way.

Good luck in getting your lighting correct, I ride at night a lot and often on purpose and have always been a freak for good lighting on the road especially on my bike.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:39 AM
longjh53
Advanced

I adjusted my low beams to move the target spot our further, much better- with that, the high beam is too high. Anyone else take a swing at adjusting the headlight?

Quick Reply: 2014 Headlight