Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed windshield. What the heck!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 06:10 PM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Changed windshield. What the heck!

I changed the windshield on my 13 UC and the small knurled brass inserts were not lined up. What a pain in the a**. Finally got 2 screws in but one cross threaded and the brass insert started spinning. Not good. Finally pulled it out right thru the fairing. This seems to be a bad design. Anybody else ever have this problem and is there a trick or better method of changing a windshield. Gotta figure out how to get that brass insert back in. dosnt look fun. thx in advance

Old 10-11-2013, 06:17 PM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep. they can tend to do that...

Go to your local dealer and buy a package of the inserts, be sure and take astroglide...

or

Take the faring off, locate the hole where the brass insert goes, clean it out best you can with a rat tail file and superglue the sucker back in. gorilla glue works even better.

Once it's dried, you can then put it all back together.

When putting it all back together, get the two screws on the outer edge started, then the two screws underneath the faring between the forks and then the middle screw followed by the two at the each end of the windshield. You can also do the middle screw first, but that takes half the fun out of it..

now adjust the faring to fit as best you can and tighten from middle to outside and then down...

Please make sure you don't have to take a leak while using the glue...don't ask...and be prepared to use words you never thought you'd ever have to use. The faring responds well to this kind of encouragement...

Good Luck!

Old 10-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Wideglide103
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The windshield can be removed without taking the screws all the way out. I have found that if I loosen them until there are just a few threads left, the windshield comes right out by just pushing forward at the base of the shield at the screw attachment point. If the screws are removed, I have found that by pushing down on the outer fairing right at the screw attachment point they line right up.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:37 PM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

guitardude. Thats an awesome detailed set of directions. Ha Thx much. Its seems i should of loosened all the screws in the fairing first before i tried to exchange the windshield. What pain. Cant believe harley didnt improve this design

Old 10-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeo33y
guitardude. Thats an awesome detailed set of directions. Ha Thx much. Its seems i should of loosened all the screws in the fairing first before i tried to exchange the windshield. What pain. Cant believe harley didnt improve this design
They DID! They put a vent in it...something else to line up...

Old 10-11-2013, 08:01 PM
WolfDog
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh man, it's a Harley.

It's normal for those to do that.