Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Filter Question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 09:41 AM
DinoM
Tourer
Received 69 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Fuel Filter Question?

I've got an 05 EGC and I'm doing a 25k service on it (I've actually got about 26+k miles on it)
Went to my local dealer to buy a fuel filter and they wanted $85 just for the filter. Then he suggested I change the little plastic "crush" screws as well as the plate and gasket. All said and done, it was gonna be over $100.

2 questions....

1. How critical is it if I don't change the filter right away? I've got 200k miles on my car and never changed a fuel filter. Never had any problems. (Although I think I know the answer to this one)
2. I've been reading previous posts(yes I do use the search function). But couldn't find anything specific to an 05 fuel filter. How difficult is it to do? Or should just save myself the aggravation and have my shop do it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!!

Old 10-13-2013, 09:45 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not difficult. Yes, get the screws and gasket. Yes, it's time to change it. And yes, your 200k car needs one too.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:17 AM
roaddog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2006 Road King Classic with 43 K and do all my own servicing. I have not changed my fuel filter yet and have noticed no ill effects. I have read numerous threads of others that had changed theirs and reported the filter was dirty but probably did not need to be changed.

I did however fell it was necessary to change out my cam shoes before I got to 25k. Those were found to have minimum wear but changed them out anyway with the new upgraded oil pump.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:26 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I replaced mine and it needed it. I noticed a hesitation at lights...the new filter has fixed that. Mine was so bad I will now do it at 20k.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:07 AM
sargek
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not hard to change the filter. Assume we are talking about an injected motor, right? If so, the filter is in the tank. There are a couple of threads on here that have pictures showing someone doing it. My '07 didn't take too long to change but the real b**** was getting the new flexible hose back on the filter because it was such a tight fit. I changed mine at 40k and just did it because I didn't want to get stranded somewhere. No issues at the time of change though.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:17 AM
doc ock
Road Master

Originally Posted by jus2anoyu
It's not difficult. Yes, get the screws and gasket. Yes, it's time to change it. And yes, your 200k car needs one too.
Yes what he said. Drag Specialties came out with the parts too and much less. Just because your car did get a new filter doesn't mean it should not have been done. I do all my vehicles at 30k. Bike was done at 25k.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:40 AM
kdfcogwheel
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sargek
It's not hard to change the filter. Assume we are talking about an injected motor, right? If so, the filter is in the tank. There are a couple of threads on here that have pictures showing someone doing it. My '07 didn't take too long to change but the real b**** was getting the new flexible hose back on the filter because it was such a tight fit. I changed mine at 40k and just did it because I didn't want to get stranded somewhere. No issues at the time of change though.
I have 52K and have changed mine twice. Like the above quote states, The plastic hoses inside of the tank are a real B**** to get back on. The two hoses are different in size and are virtually Murphy proof. Take particular attention when you carefully remove the assembly from the tank. It will help to orient it the same way when you return it back inside of the tank. There is a whole lot of plastic and breakage could occur. Also, once the new filter and o-rings are replaced make a mental note that the U clip is secured properly on the filter housing. I sometimes second guess myself. It is after everything is closed up that you question whether the locking clips seated completely on the hoses. What if one should come off down the road? Take your time and double check every step.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:54 AM
keno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On my 08 Heritage I racked up over 100.000 miles and never changed the fuel filter. Lucky I guess!

Old 10-13-2013, 03:48 PM
DinoM
Tourer
Received 69 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for all the input gents. Looks like I'll be changing it out myself. I guess a little preventative maintenance can go a long way, if not for nothing but piece of mind and the satisfaction of knowing I can do it myself.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:39 PM
525tom
Cruiser

Drag Specialties makes a filter, line and oring kit for half the price of Harley. I am in the process of changing mine right now. Check the other fuel line in the tank for excess wear marks. You may need to change that too because the rubbing on the inside of the tank will create pin holes. If you do, drag specialties makes a kit that is much cheaper than Harley. The kit will come with a check valve and new plastic line. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter Question?