Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 ultra limited suspension upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 06:59 PM
1roadking
Tourer
Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts
Smile 2013 ultra limited suspension upgrades?

Ok, I do not like the stock suspension at all! I live in NH and the roads can be pretty rough, the stock suspension is ok until you get on a rough road and then it's terrible. I need some real world experience on options front and rear. One of my concerns is the ease of adjustability for rear shock preload. I don't want to have a fist fight every time I need to make a change from 1 up to 2 up riding. I also want a matched feel front and rear. I am 300lbs and need something that can hold up to 475lbs to 500 lbs when 2 up with gear. Money is not an big concern as I plan on keeping the bike for the long haul. Helllllppppp

Old 10-13-2013, 09:07 PM
1roadking
Tourer
Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Anyone? Buehller buehller?

Old 10-13-2013, 09:32 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I have fabrik8r Ricor intiminators and racetech springs on the front.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...rk-better.html
It is better than any of my harleys with various combos on progressive springs, racetech springs and gold valves. I'm very happy with the front.
The 13" Progressive 940s on the rear are pretty good but I'm sure motorcycle metal Ohlines or JRI would be better.
I would not have less than I've got again. And of course more is better, another one of those slippery slopes...

Old 10-14-2013, 04:37 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

You mention three things there that draw my attention! Rough roads, your weight, riding 2-up. It is the last of those that drives things IMHO and which most changes the way our dressers ride.

I have gone the same way up front as Oldhippie, but have custom-built Ohlins at the rear. Mrs B and I don't match you and Mrs 1RK for all-up weight, but we are very impressed with our shocks! You can save yourselves a lot of time and effort by calling HDF sponsor Howard at Motorcycle Metal. He will build you shocks with springs and damping to suit you both.

So what will you gain from the above? Improved ride from the forks, plus shocks that will hold you both up and give you a very much smoother ride - and we have never bottomed out on ours! You may find you can ride both solo and 2-up, once you have dialled them in, without needing to adjust them. The riding experience is worlds apart from pre-Ohlins!

Last edited by grbrown; 10-14-2013 at 05:38 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:00 AM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You might want to call JD at Shotgun Shock. He has a new product out for the touring bikes, and if his Softail product is any gauge it will be awesome...and he's one of the most up front guys I've ever felt with!

My Heritage 2 up (400lbs) with 80lbs of baggage equipped with a shotgun shock and progressive mono tubes still rides better than my stock suspension FLHTCU...we're addressing that in December :-)

Old 10-14-2013, 06:57 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Harley's CVO rears are an avalable upgrade, and one well worth the $$$$.
I swore by the air shocks (which I was able to get dialed in) until they started to leak, so went for the part # 54000008, premium ride hand adjustable touring shocks.
As said, they are a huge improvement and all though I have never tried the progressive I can't imagine these being to far behind, if at all.

They also make the 45500106 premium ride front end double cartridge kit which will come this winter. As of right now the rear smoothed out beautifully, and the fronts are very noticeable as far as nasty bad.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:22 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by VTL nut
Harley's CVO rears are an avalable upgrade, and one well worth the $$$$.
I swore by the air shocks (which I was able to get dialed in) until they started to leak, so went for the part # 54000008, premium ride hand adjustable touring shocks.
As said, they are a huge improvement and all though I have never tried the progressive I can't imagine these being to far behind, if at all.

They also make the 45500106 premium ride front end double cartridge kit which will come this winter. As of right now the rear smoothed out beautifully, and the fronts are very noticeable as far as nasty bad.
Second that. I have the hand adjustables on mine and love them. AND they're simple to adjust when your load changes.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:25 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitardude
You might want to call JD at Shotgun Shock. He has a new product out for the touring bikes, and if his Softail product is any gauge it will be awesome...and he's one of the most up front guys I've ever felt with!

My Heritage 2 up (400lbs) with 80lbs of baggage equipped with a shotgun shock and progressive mono tubes still rides better than my stock suspension FLHTCU...we're addressing that in December :-)
I am waiting on a set for my bagger. Probably get them in a few weeks or so but I will provide a full review and install on this product as well. Had this shock on my softail as well and it was head and shoulders above and beyond any other softail air ride.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:32 PM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I've been running custom Ohlins from Howard in the rear and Progressive Monotubes in the front for 10k.

Couldn't be happier with this setup.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:55 PM
Sagido
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I upgraded my suspension using front and rear upgrades out of the accessories catalog. The premium ride double cartridge fork kit p/n 45500106, and premium hand adjustable touring shocks p/n 54000008, have worked very nicely. The bike hugs the roads, and handle uneven roads much better. There no bottom out I previously experienced on the stock rear shocks. Any adjustments are a few turns by hand. I have over 7k miles on this setup and recommend it often.

Quick Reply: 2013 ultra limited suspension upgrades?