Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot rod dyna to a Bagger

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 12:18 AM
JonnyIndy
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot rod dyna to a Bagger

I'm thinking about going to a bagger after riding a hopped up dyna for the last few years. So, I'm looking for a little advice and direction.

I currently ride a 2006 dyna that I've done quote a bit too. List includes:
-103" engine with heads done, woods 631 cams, 10:5 HD forged pistons, SE adj. pushrods, 50mm throttle body, etc.
-Rivera pro clutch
- works performance shocks and drop-in fork cartridges
- true track front and back
It's very fast and handles amazingly.

I'm thinking about getting a 2014 street glide special, and have the dealer install the stage 4 kit. Or getting a couple year old SG and doing a bunch to it.

My question is, having never ridden a newer FL, do you all think I'll be able to get close to the power and handling of my dyna?

I'm realistic enough to know that they're 2 completely different bikes. What I can't know because I haven't ridden one is, if I hop up a 2014 SG, am I going to get even close to a similar feel to my dyna.

And if so, what are the recommended changes?

Thanks

Last edited by JonnyIndy; 10-15-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:31 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

My Baby Brother had a 1999 Dyna that he said he would never ever get rid of or ever get a new bike. It was way hopped up with gear drives CNC heads hi compression ignition lots of other go fast and custom to his taste. He just traded it and got a new 103 inch 2013 Road Glide. He has no regrets, is happy with the 103 power after a 2 into 1 pipe and some sort of programmer and air cleaner and is so happy his face hurts.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:33 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

Handling won't be as good , power, how much ya want to spend ? If you don't need the streo, go with a Road King .

Old 10-15-2013, 06:23 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

I ran an FXDXT for several years, with stage 1, reduced gearing and a True-Track kit. Great bike with decent suspension, wonderful performance (change of gearing increased rear wheel HP/TQ by 19%) and good handling. I also have a T-T kit on my old Glide. Taking into account the difference in weight of the two bikes, I reckoned at one time I would need a 131" engine in my dresser to give comparable acceleration!

Can a dresser handle like a well kitted Dyna? Emphatically no, I'm afraid!

However you present us with a challenge, so how can we help get you close? Forget an SG to start with, unless you replace the rear shocks with longer superior quality ones. However the 2014 bikes have much better front forks than all previous dressers, so one of them is a good starting point. Add a True-Track kit, or a Baker extended oil pan and T-T link, to improve the rear end. You already know the improvements they can give. If you go with an earlier bike, consider a CCE TourTrac Tree kit, to improve the forks and handling.

Performance? I'm not sure about a mere stage 4. Think in terms of a 120R or S&S 124". Call into the Tech Engine section here for plenty of discussion on both, simply use 'Search' for '120R'.

When you've decided which way to go we will be here to support and help you spend your money!

Old 10-15-2013, 06:33 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyIndy
I'm thinking about going to a bagger after riding a hopped up dyna for the last few years. So, I'm looking for a little advice and direction.

I currently ride a 2006 dyna that I've done quote a bit too. List includes:
-103" engine with heads done, woods 631 cams, 10:5 HD forged pistons, SE adj. pushrods, 50mm throttle body, etc.
-Rivera pro clutch
- works performance shocks and drop-in fork cartridges
- true track front and back
It's very fast and handles amazingly.

I'm thinking about getting a 2014 street glide special, and have the dealer install the stage 4 kit. Or getting a couple year old SG and doing a bunch to it.

My question is, having never ridden a newer FL, do you all think I'll be able to get close to the power and handling of my dyna?

I'm realistic enough to know that they're 2 completely different bikes. What I can't know because I haven't ridden one is, if I hop up a 2014 SG, am I going to get even close to a similar feel to my dyna.

And if so, what are the recommended changes?

Thanks
I started on an 07 Dyna, and do miss it from time to time. I am on my 2nd bagger, and they are surprisingly nimble for their size. I rented an 09 ultra when they 1st came out, and it was a sled, so I wasn't buying in quite yet (waited for the 2012 and the 103 was standard amongst other upgrades) but the 103's especially when you "stage 1" them wake up very nicely power wise, and all the creature comforts will spoil you. As said earlier, they are also surprisingly nimble for appearing to be such a sled. Get one, ride her like ya stole it, and you will not look back (well, maybe occasionally with a warm fuzzy feeling).

Or do like MK guitar, buy the bagger and keep the dyna for the short runs, bar hoppin if you will.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:26 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I traded in my 2009 Bob for my 2014 Road King. The Road King with the 103, the new cams from Harley, and Reinhardt Slip-ons is already nearly as fast (if not faster to be truthful) as my Bob was with the SE tuner, headers, etc done to it. Handling is actually far superior on the Road King IMO. I am not sure about the SG.

Last edited by DSnoopy; 10-15-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:34 AM
howitzer88
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Just sold my 04 Dyna. Liked riding it but the 'Ol lady was not comfy on the back for any more than an hour. Would have kept both but just don't have room for two bikes at the moment. Gearing, rake, and weight is quite different, so don't think it will be as much "seat of the pants" fun, unless like one other post said it all depends on how much money you are willing to spend to get more oomph.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:45 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

You can get close to the power and handling of your dyna but that extra 3-400 pounds will always be there. But so will the comfort... I've had from sport bikes to dirt bikes along side my harley tourers. They are all different but I am always surprised how much I enjoy the heavy, underpowered, ill-handling dressers and always have one in the stable (as much as I've tried not to a few times). I went from a line of Triumphs and a hot rod sporty to a roadking about 20 years ago. Thought I'd keep the sporty for some fun but found myself never riding it?