Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Cycle Engineering - Triple Trees for Dressers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 07:57 PM
desertwolf
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 89FLHT
Howard - if your doing that - please make it use the older neck bearings and races!

I do not want to be stuck with doing the upgrade and then having to pull it apart every 25k to replace the bearings like on the 14's. Simply retarded to have to do that on a touring bike every 25k.
Yeah, why would they design it like that? Every 25k and replace the bearings? What a horrible idea...unless your a dealer.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:16 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts
Default if ya don't mind

Originally Posted by grbrown
I already have my kit, although yet to fit it. I identified them as a worthwhile upgrade before the 2014 bikes were announced, so jumped as soon as I read the reports on how much better they ride. Yes, I expect our older bikes will benefit greatly by using the CCE kit. IMHO the new 2014 top tree set-up is more significant than the 49mm tubes. The CCE top tree is a substantial NC machined alloy billet, with 2 1/4" deep top clamp for each fork tube. Quite a contrast to the stock set-up!
When you install the CCE tree ,can ya weigh it and the stock part?

Old 10-18-2013, 10:01 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm a big proponent of billet trees. The cast FL trees are just crap, compared to a lot of conventional trees, and especially aftermarket trees that are available for other models.

I'm running billet HHI trees on my 07. They were designed for trikes, with a little more rake, so they aren't a direct bolt-on for an otherwise stock bike. I also cut and raked my neck, and that process adds a lot of stiffness to the frame in the neck area. My bike tracks and handles so much better than stock, it's startling.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:03 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by desertwolf
Thats what I was kinda thinking - that the new triple tree probably is of more benefit than the 49 mm forks. Keep us updated on your progress and results.
Wilco! It isn't going to happen overnight, so don't hold your breath too long.

I'll weigh both trees, before I install the new one!

Billet trees are darned expensive, compared with the stock cast ones. Cast is the way to go with mass produced items, such as the factory trees. It's that awful top-hat clamp in the top tree which is the weak point of the older design, not the fact that the tree is cast.

Last edited by grbrown; 02-15-2014 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Revised wording.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:03 PM
FLYER
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So it was a while back the OP asked the question about the CCE triple tree. I completed the installation a couple months ago and have about 500 miles down. I was pleased and satisfied with the results. The install went well (have your Harley manual out) and Rick at CCE is friendly and helpful. I did put progressive monotubes in at the same time.

As a comparison I rode my bike back to back with a 14 Ultra classic. I was very surprised to find thar the CCE mod makes the bike feel to me even tighter than the 14. Maybe because the CCE grips the fork tube two inches while the 14 stock upper triple looks to be an inch or less. Not trying to over analyze this but just to say the CCE triple is great. As Rick gives new fork tubes with the kit you can always sell your older ones to help defray the cost.

Most forums are sparse on folks that have actually completed the install and reported on the results (am I the only one?).

So there are nice new features on the 14's but as far as the front end goes the CCE brings the older bikes on par with the new ones.

Just my experience.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:44 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

I've been thinking about this myself. $845 doesn't seem like a bad price for the kind of improvement being discussed. Where in the ride can the difference really be felt?

Beary

Old 02-14-2014, 06:07 PM
FLYER
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Beary, The steering response is immediate rather than delayed, tight rather than mushy, when the handlebars are moved there is an immediate and precise response. I notice when cornering the tracking line is held precisely now, and also when at low speeds the maneuvering is much sharper.

In stock form the front tire can either lag behind the steering input or be disrupted by a bump to jump ahead, such as hitting ruts or things like that. That tendency can be on either end of the speed spectrum.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:54 PM
skypilot_one
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good thread.

Graham, Have you finished the install?

Last edited by skypilot_one; 06-29-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:40 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYER
So it was a while back the OP asked the question about the CCE triple tree. I completed the installation a couple months ago and have about 500 miles down. I was pleased and satisfied with the results. The install went well (have your Harley manual out) and Rick at CCE is friendly and helpful. I did put progressive monotubes in at the same time.

As a comparison I rode my bike back to back with a 14 Ultra classic. I was very surprised to find thar the CCE mod makes the bike feel to me even tighter than the 14. Maybe because the CCE grips the fork tube two inches while the 14 stock upper triple looks to be an inch or less. Not trying to over analyze this but just to say the CCE triple is great. As Rick gives new fork tubes with the kit you can always sell your older ones to help defray the cost.

Most forums are sparse on folks that have actually completed the install and reported on the results (am I the only one?).

So there are nice new features on the 14's but as far as the front end goes the CCE brings the older bikes on par with the new ones.

Just my experience.
Did you stay with the stock ride height on your Ultra, or lower it 1"

Thanks

Old 07-24-2014, 06:29 AM
shakrr
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did this mod last fall, the ride is night and day difference the front end is so stable ,smooth, and tracks straight. when passing semis the front doesn't waver goes straight every ride gives me a smile that I did this mod. I did go back to stock travel in the forks and lowered it around .75" with this kit

Quick Reply: Custom Cycle Engineering - Triple Trees for Dressers?