Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Cycle Engineering - Triple Trees for Dressers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 05:26 PM
desertwolf
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Custom Cycle Engineering - Triple Trees for Dressers?

The one thing I liked above everything else when I test rode a 14 Limited was the way it steered and handled. Felt so much more precise and solid than my 13 Limited. I have kicked around the idea of trading but dont know if I really want to take that much of a bath. So, could I give my 13 the handling presicion of the 14 with these Triple Trees? Has any one installedthese on their bike and can give a first hand account as to if they improved the handling of the bike?

Old 10-17-2013, 06:13 PM
MilkMan608
Advanced
Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Suubscribed.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:34 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I already have my kit, although yet to fit it. I identified them as a worthwhile upgrade before the 2014 bikes were announced, so jumped as soon as I read the reports on how much better they ride. Yes, I expect our older bikes will benefit greatly by using the CCE kit. IMHO the new 2014 top tree set-up is more significant than the 49mm tubes. The CCE top tree is a substantial NC machined alloy billet, with 2 1/4" deep top clamp for each fork tube. Quite a contrast to the stock set-up!

Old 10-18-2013, 09:51 AM
timvan
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howard @ motorcycle metal is supposed to have something coming out as well

Old 10-18-2013, 10:31 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

Would love to see CCE come out with a both an upper and lower tree that would allow the use of the new 49mm forks as well on the older Glides. I do not know what mods would be needed to make it fit, but if we could get the new larger forks to use with the new triple trees, that would be one hell of an upgrade.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:03 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by timvan
Howard @ motorcycle metal is supposed to have something coming out as well
I think Howard's investigating new top and bottom trees plus 49mm forks, but with Ohlins adjustable cartridges, similar to the set-up he does for Dynas. I'm fairly certain he has prototypes working. I suspect he's also looking to see if there is any economy to be made in adapting 2014 H-D parts, to save us costs.

The CCE solution works with the stock lower tree, which IMHO is fine and avoids an expensive additional component. These sorts of things are expensive to make in small quantities, as will be obvious to anyone who has handled one of their top trees, and Harley owners are notorious for sewing the seams of their pockets up when faced with buying decent technology.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:12 AM
FLYER
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have started installing the CCE triples with Progressive monoshocks. I posted up some photos and installation comments. I haven't finished yet but working away on it. You know how that goes. I will also be posting in my thread the riding impressions. Maybe later I'll just do a dedicated thread to the install.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...h-my-09-a.html

Old 10-18-2013, 11:17 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I think Howard's investigating new top and bottom trees plus 49mm forks, but with Ohlins adjustable cartridges, similar to the set-up he does for Dynas. I'm fairly certain he has prototypes working. I suspect he's also looking to see if there is any economy to be made in adapting 2014 H-D parts, to save us costs.

:
Howard - if your doing that - please make it use the older neck bearings and races!

I do not want to be stuck with doing the upgrade and then having to pull it apart every 25k to replace the bearings like on the 14's. Simply retarded to have to do that on a touring bike every 25k.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:08 PM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by 89FLHT
Howard - if your doing that - please make it use the older neck bearings and races!

I do not want to be stuck with doing the upgrade and then having to pull it apart every 25k to replace the bearings like on the 14's. Simply retarded to have to do that on a touring bike every 25k.
I think you're safe there! The 2014s have a different head, including bearings, they won't retrofit, from what I've heard.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:25 PM
desertwolf
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I already have my kit, although yet to fit it. I identified them as a worthwhile upgrade before the 2014 bikes were announced, so jumped as soon as I read the reports on how much better they ride. Yes, I expect our older bikes will benefit greatly by using the CCE kit. IMHO the new 2014 top tree set-up is more significant than the 49mm tubes. The CCE top tree is a substantial NC machined alloy billet, with 2 1/4" deep top clamp for each fork tube. Quite a contrast to the stock set-up!
Thats what I was kinda thinking - that the new triple tree probably is of more benefit than the 49 mm forks. Keep us updated on your progress and results.

Quick Reply: Custom Cycle Engineering - Triple Trees for Dressers?