Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eliminating ping by adding fuel

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 08:24 AM
uwiik
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Eliminating ping by adding fuel

Have tuned my VE till it show only 1% change after auto tune, then setup the timing table to a fairly aggressive timing table adding anywhere between 4 to 9* to the table, idling at 21 cruise at 36 and go up from there maxing at 45.

I like the instantenous throttle response and the engine is very aggressive, I like it much, soooo much nicer compared to standard weak timing table, but obviously it pings. It only pings on high load or when I crack the throttle suddenly, doesn't ping when accelerating not too aggressively, once it reach speed or on constant high speed. Done a few log tune to spot knock retard, after the third log tune i started to feel the throttle response weaken and engine doesn't feel aggressive anymore, didn't like it, decided to go back to the second log tune timing table.

Currently anti knock would pull 0.5-4* max on hot weather. Now I am trying to use different strategy to help with the ping, should I add fuel to the affected cells by changing AFR/lambda or adding VE??

Last edited by uwiik; 10-19-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:00 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Adding fueldid nothing for me, the only way Ive found is to take timing away in the affected areas, leaving the other areas alone. Didnt take more than -1 to -2.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:54 AM
uwiik
Tourer

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Adding fueldid nothing for me, the only way Ive found is to take timing away in the affected areas, leaving the other areas alone. Didnt take more than -1 to -2.
From 3 log tunes I get mostly 0.5-2.5 pull but some cells showing as much as 6* pull in some area (75-90kpa 2500-4500 RPM), and that's where the throttle response start to suffer, I am sure if I keep on doing another log tunes and pull more to get rid of the ping my throttle response is going to suffer further...

Last edited by uwiik; 10-19-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

What octane fuel can you run in Indonesia?

Old 10-19-2013, 09:54 PM
uwiik
Tourer

Originally Posted by Uncle Paul
What octane fuel can you run in Indonesia?
Indonesia and almost the rest of the world use RON for octane ratin, whereas US use AKI if i am not mistaken. The most commonly fuel I use that's available everywhere is RON 92=AKI 87, sometimes RON 95=AKI 90 and when I am feeling generous RON 97=AKI 92.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:32 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I suggest you splurge on the good gas. The timing from 2500 at 18 and up to 32 at 5500 is the most I have tried in the 100% range. The fuel should be above 90 also in this range. Don't sweat the 2.5 and lower spark knocks. They will drive you nuts. I have had some 4 and 6 if I hit the throttle real hard while doing log tune but haven't had any audible ping. If you aren't getting audible ping let the system do its job.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:45 AM
uwiik
Tourer

Originally Posted by ke5rbd
I suggest you splurge on the good gas. The timing from 2500 at 18 and up to 32 at 5500 is the most I have tried in the 100% range. The fuel should be above 90 also in this range. Don't sweat the 2.5 and lower spark knocks. They will drive you nuts. I have had some 4 and 6 if I hit the throttle real hard while doing log tune but haven't had any audible ping. If you aren't getting audible ping let the system do its job.
I Don't mind splurging on good gas if it can eliminate my ping and I ride 100% city riding, the problem is I cannot tune based on the assumption that I always get good gas, once I go out of town the best I can get is RON92/AKI87 gas, nothing above that...

The problem is all spark knock indicated by my PV is always accompanied with audible ping, I can hear rattle can like sound even if it's only in a very short period, but I definitely can hear it. Did a ride on 95F weather today, max retard pull was *2.5, but definitely heard audible ping....

I hear a lot of mixed opinion, some say if bike runs good don't worry about short audible ping, 103" will ping no matter what I do, but some also claims that ping can be eliminated even on 103"...

I attached my spark table and AFR table, based on your indication on max spark mine is definitely so much more aggressive, should I back it down?? Like I said, I have done quite a bit more Log Tunes to the point where my ping is almost completely gone. However, I really do not like how my throttle response suffer after that...

Attached Thumbnails Eliminating ping by adding fuel-spark_f.jpg   Eliminating ping by adding fuel-spark_r.jpg   Eliminating ping by adding fuel-afr.jpg  
Old 10-20-2013, 08:02 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

If you are running low octane gas and getting audible ping you need to remove timing. You will damage your engine.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:51 AM
Shovelhed
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull timing. Too bad they don't automatically do it like my car

Old 10-20-2013, 10:09 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Unfortunately, if you're going to run 87 octane gas, you're going to have to pull more timing.

Quick Reply: Eliminating ping by adding fuel