Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Again with the chattering

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 01:48 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Again with the chattering

Ok, I know what it's NOT. It's not the compensator - replaced with the SE comp. and still had the chattering. It's not a loose primary chain - tightened it up enough to whine and still had the chattering. Reset OEM primary chain tensioner, seems to be working as it should. Fresh fluids in all three holes - correct amounts by the manual-still had the chatter. It's not "normal" because it didn't chatter before - and it's getting worse. Can hear it at startup and definitely hear it shifting thru every gear at above 2500 rpm. Also hear it sitting still, neutral or in gear with clutch lever pulled in, above 2500 rpm. Can hear it extra loud if I happen to pull clutch lever in before throttling down when shifting. Louder on left side. Adjusted the clutch, no difference. 32,000 easy miles, '09 Ultra, stage 1 with Harley download, Jackpot slip-ons. Shifts fine, runs great, no leaks. Clutch pack? Inner primary bearing? What else should I be checking?

Old 10-19-2013, 01:56 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you changed the push rods by any chance?

Old 10-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Bad lifters?

Old 10-19-2013, 02:40 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master

Originally Posted by jackhis
Have you changed the push rods by any chance?
Purchased with 6,500 miles on the odometer, but pushrods have not been changed that I know of.

Bad lifters? Thought lifters would be more of a ticking sound, not the "marbles in a can" chattering that I'm hearing.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:43 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadHog659
Purchased with 6,500 miles on the odometer, but pushrods have not been changed that I know of.

Bad lifters? Thought lifters would be more of a ticking sound, not the "marbles in a can" chattering that I'm hearing.
Lifters would be more of a rattle. And mostly when not yet warmed up.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:09 PM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

possible backlash in the transmission

Old 10-19-2013, 03:28 PM
SunCruise
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadHog659

Man O Man if that don't sound like what I just dealt with. I won't go into all the BS I went through but finally about 2 weeks ago I tried something I read here on HDF.

I took Marvel Mystery Oil and since I had some Seafoam too ... I mixed up about 4 ounces in a spray bottle and pumped it into the intake while lightly revving the motor. I actually had fun watching all the smoke come out the duals I even did a couple ounces of water and then followed it up with more MMO.

The noise is GONE !!! it cleaned out all the carbon that was causing detonation, double firing, whatever it was doing that made that awful marbles in a can sound.

I have since re-routed the breather tube (full of hot air and oil) off the back plate of the air cleaner and ran it to ground.

It runs so much nicer and with the cooler air I swear I heard my bike say thank you.

Hope this helps you.
SC

Old 10-19-2013, 03:38 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Some of my drive me crazy rattles.
1.Lower left rear fender vibrating on the saddle bag mount.Fixed with a piece of inner tube.
2.Rinehart baffle.Rinehart sent me a new set of slip-ons.
3.Left floor board.I tightened the bolts way too tight,rattle gone,and with enough force the board will still fold up.
4.Push button gas cap release.
5 Recently when I had the comp replaced with the SE model at the dealer,as soon as I left the shop I heard a new sound on the left side.Upon investigation by the dealer(back in to the primary) it was determined that the chain adjuster hadn't fully ratcheted up to the correct tension position.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:01 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master

Mixed SeaFoam in gas tank (1 oz. per gallon) and had a chance to ride a few miles today. Chatter sounded more like a knock when I started out, but settled back to chattering at higher rpms after riding a few miles. Not sure what I'm dealing with so I guess it's off to the dealership if Ohio weather gives me the opportunity. Starting to sound expensive.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:53 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on all the information that you have described, I think the compensator may be the source.

Quick Reply: Again with the chattering