Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Oil leaking into primary

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 01:18 PM
wlibert
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickr01
My Bet is on a bad crank seal. It happens from time to time with those results. If the seal is bad enough crank pressure will push oil and air out of the stator seal along with forcing oil into the primary. The stator seal is not made to handle that type of excessive pressure like you would find in a crankcase. On idle, the pressure is less and will tend to follow the normal venting process but on higher RPMs and crankcase pressure, the pressure will take the paths of least resistance. Check that seal..
Originally Posted by Redbeard719
Based on what you've posted here already, my next step,would be or pull the outer/inner primary and inspect the crankshaft seal. With your breathers passing pressure, it sounds like the oils is being pushed into the primary from the crank seal.

These motors are easy to work on, especially with a service manual. With your background on cars, I wouldn't let the unknown keep you from diagnosing/fixing this yourself.

Good luck!
Thank you for the encouragement and information guys! I don't have the tools to pull the inner primary. I am going to see if I can get what I need tool wise and if I can't at least I can put it in the dealers shop with a little more confidence that they aren't gonna charge me for chit that ain't broke.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:10 PM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by twincam47
That vent hose is for the transmission. He said he was a quart Engine Oil Low and overfull in the primary.

The only way Engine Oil can get in to the primary is thru the Crankshaft seal located behind the Stator Rotor. And the overfilled primary will push oil out of the stator plug that passes through the primary.

A defective seal, bearing, breather valves or crankshaft run out could cause this. I would suggest that if it was crankshaft run out then you would have much more noticeable problems over on the cam side with the oil pump and other things that result from it being out of spec. It needs to go to a shop.

If I am not mistaken, the crank case also breaths into the transmission. On older TC's the crank case had a vent hose going to the transmission, then the transmission vented through the hose hose from the transmission. The newer models, again if I am not mistaken, now uses a passage in the transmission mount to the back side of the crank case.

If I am wrong, the cost of checking the hose is nothing but time...

If I am right, the cost of fixing his problem is still nothing but time...

How much time would it take to remove, clean, and replace that hose? About 4-5 minutes? If nothing else, you know the vent is clean if you check it!

Last edited by Def Mute; 10-27-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:09 PM
wlibert
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Def Mute
If I am not mistaken, the crank case also breaths into the transmission. On older TC's the crank case had a vent hose going to the transmission, then the transmission vented through the hose hose from the transmission. The newer models, again if I am not mistaken, now uses a passage in the transmission mount to the back side of the crank case.

If I am wrong, the cost of checking the hose is nothing but time...

If I am right, the cost of fixing his problem is still nothing but time...

How much time would it take to remove, clean, and replace that hose? About 4-5 minutes? If nothing else, you know the vent is clean if you check it!
I put a new vent hose on it this passed spring. New one is still there.

Thank you for the feedback though.