Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test rode a '13 Road Glide Custom!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 03:50 PM
CrazyHog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test rode a '13 Road Glide Custom!

Hi,

I have a '13 Vrod Muscle that I bought last month. I'm thinking about trading it in for a touring bike. It looks like my wife wants to go for some rides after all. The Vrod is not bad one up, terrible two up though. Anyway, I saw that the dealer had a leftover Black Denim RGC. I love that color on this bike. I love that the inner fairing matches also. I decided to take one out just for the hell of it. I wasn't really expecting much from it. They had a used '13 Orange one with 1100 miles already set up that was traded in. I took that one out for a test ride. I haven't ridden a bagger since I had a 2002 BMW K1200LT. I kept that bike for one year. It was extremely top heavy and the seat was around 32.5", I'm 5'9". About my test ride:

Test ride was short at about 8 miles total. No highway, but got to open her up to around 60 mph. Upon sitting on her, I fell in love with the riding position. It had a very slight forward lean and wide handlebars. Perfect out of the box for me. I loved the open riding position. When I started up the bike, I was surprised that the stock pipes actually sounded decent. Maybe because the bike was just broken in? My Vrod stock sounded like a sewing machine. When maneuvering out of the parking lot (up to 5mph) I could tell I was on a heavy bagger, but once underway it handled better than my Vrod. I expected the bike to be a "dog" when gassing her. No, she actually had some pep to her. I expected the stereo with only 2 speakers and not HD updated version to sound terrible. Nope, they sounded pretty good to me. After a couple of miles on her I felt right at home. This bike can easily OUT-HANDLE a Vrod Muscle! I was shocked! The frame felt solid, well planted and the rear suspension, even with the 1" drop, felt better than my Vrod. There was some wind buffering to my face (half helmet), but less than my naked Vrod. It felt like this bike actually has a little more power down low than the Vrod. I felt it right away every time I took off in 1st gear. Then again the Vrod was designed to have the meat of its power band from 5K-9K rpm. I expected the braking to be just decent. Nope, she broke just as well as my Vrod, even with an extra 130lbs. I expected the tranny to be clunky. Nope, felt smooth to me, just like the Vrod. Maybe the break in miles helped out here also. The rubber mounted motor was also very smooth once underway and nice vibes at idle. One thing I did dislike were the cheap storage pockets in the fairing and that the opened the wrong way. What the hell was HD thinking with that? I returned from the test ride with a stupid grin on my face. I told the dealer I need to speak to the Mrs first. I know she won't be happy since I just bought the Vrod six weeks ago. I'm going to try to kiss her ### the next few days. :-))

I won't have too much time to decide though. The black denim is the only color I like for this bike and the one in the showroom comes without abs, cruise or security, which I prefer as I need to keep the price down. Only changes I would make are stage one with V&H Monster rounds, mustache crash bar with rubber insert highway pegs, grips and mirrors. Also a slightly taller windshield for when the weather is cold and a removable short sissy bar for the Mrs. I know the dealer/owner really wants to sell the remaining RGCs (3) he has.

Note: I didn't bother test riding the SG because just sitting on it, I felt cramped. The fairing felt too close to me and I personally didn't like the stock bars. I prefer bars that are wider with less bend and more of a reach like the RGC. With different bars I may feel different. I did sit on a '12 SG with Carlini Menace Apes that felt good though. Never got to test ride it though. It sold!

Last edited by CrazyHog; 10-25-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Sonicgazi
Cruiser

I rode one during the Spring Rally in Myrtle beach this year, fell in love with it. By far the best riding touring bike I've ridden to date. Rides better than the Road king or the Street Glide in my opinion. I've been thinking of selling/trading my bike for one soon but I'm on the fence. My advice to you is try to find a lightly used stock 2011 or 2012 model with under 5k or 6k miles and you'll save yourself a few thousand. I've seen some really nicely modded bikes for around list with low mileage and tons of ups though. I think I'd shop used before new on this bike regardless.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:32 PM
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Go for it. You'll love it.

and go here to end your wind buffeting issues for $45 !
www.sanchoswings.com

Onward!

Attached Thumbnails Test rode a '13 Road Glide Custom!-img_2633.jpg  
Old 10-25-2013, 04:34 PM
CrazyHog
Cruiser

Nice!!

Old 10-25-2013, 04:35 PM
Nightrain04
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get one with cruise, or have it added! Trust me. I just traded my SG for a RGC a month ago, and Im not looking back!

Old 10-25-2013, 05:04 PM
CrazyHog
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Nightrain04
Get one with cruise, or have it added! Trust me. I just traded my SG for a RGC a month ago, and Im not looking back!
Nah, I do wrist curls at the gym. LOL

Old 10-25-2013, 05:15 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

It's already too late for you. You are hooked. Just picked up a '13 also. I had an 05 RG prior and a few other bikes. I never even sat on a Street Glide, it was not an option. I am sure once you get it upgrades will become necessary as they always seem to for me.

I got the orange one so you should get the black one.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:21 PM
Nightrain04
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You better get the deal done, dont miss out like you did on that street glide from you other post. Its a blessing in disquise! Road Glide for the win!

Old 10-25-2013, 05:26 PM
Len
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GET IT!! Better to ask for forgiveness, than for permission . .

Old 10-25-2013, 05:27 PM
OzarkHarleyguy
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had an Electra-Glide and several other model Harley's before my RGU and really like this bike a lot. The black denim is very sharp.

Quick Reply: Test rode a '13 Road Glide Custom!