Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 HD 103 high output motor ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 08:52 PM
13bob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
Why would you think a motor or total motorcycle is better simply because it has more displacement?? I'm thinkin if you judge the quality of a bike simply by the displacement of the engine, you lose all the soul of riding a Harley Davidson. Go buy that Victory, or Indian, they are both Polaris products, and never will be true competition of Harley. Gee how many times has the Indian brand been unzombied now, 5 , 6. It just aint gonna float or be any real competiton for Harley. I would never judge the total worth of a motorcycle simply by power and frankly the new 103 is fine right out of the box.
Thanks, but I wasn't judging the worth of a motorcycle simply by the motor, I was just making a comment on the performance of the 2014 103" relative to the competition. I would still by a Street Glide over the new Indian or Victory as the whole package is better in my opinion.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:54 PM
13bob
Tourer

Originally Posted by Kkflhx
The new 103 has plenty of power after the normal pipes, air cleaner, tune mods. I see no need to open the engine up and I am at 5000' altitude. The new ho will walk my 2011 103 with same mods
Thanks, I think that's what I need to remember. The 103" probably has enough power for my riding style.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:54 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

HD can build whatever they want, they choose again and again not to build or at least market great engines.

For those who say there is no replacement for displacement has never seen a 1.8 toyota eat a 5.0 mustang for lunch.

If HD is going to stick with this V twin design, the issue is bore and stroke, getting a crank that will fit in the cases and spin without hitting things.

There is also the relationship of bore and stroke. Many fans of the S&S 107 like it because the bore and stroke are the same, (square) producing good HP and torque ,

HD engines are over square, the bore is less than the stroke, and have different power characteristics than an under square engine, that has a long rod ans a smaller bore.

HD will never build an under square motor, for the Baggers, the characteristics don't fit the bikes, The V Rod is an undersquare motor, big bore short stroke, plus it is water cooled, 4 valves per cylinder, all those pesky things that make bikes go fast and run cool.
Personally I would love to have a V Rod engine in a touring bike, but that is just me.

The other issue is while staying in the footprint of the TC engine, and bagger frame, how much heat can they dissipate as they keep making more power. You can only make the cylinder walls so thin before they will heat up and distort to the point they will not allow compression, allow blow by, etc etc etc.

And last but not least we have to get all of this past the EPA

The Victory motor is almost square, just a little over square but not by much. the 2014 Indian, like the HD TC is over square.

so to male a long story short, they need more space for bore, stroke, and surface area to get rid of the heat. they are getting close to maxing it out now, especially the cooling part.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:20 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

I love my 96" stock motor but it could use a bit more power for passing. I know the old 103" was a little better but not by much. I know 2 guys with the new HO 103", they both had the old 103" and the HO has a lot more passing power. One of them said in a race the difference isn't big but in the mid range much better.
I'm already getting things ready to buy a 15 King when the come out. For me going from the 96" to the HO 103" should be nice. If they go bigger in a year or 2 after I get a 15 I don't care.
There is much more to a Harley then how fast they are. As for Victory and Indian they are just Polaris products.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:29 PM
13bob
Tourer

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
I love my 96" stock motor but it could use a bit more power for passing. I know the old 103" was a little better but not by much. I know 2 guys with the new HO 103", they both had the old 103" and the HO has a lot more passing power. One of them said in a race the difference isn't big but in the mid range much better.
I'm already getting things ready to buy a 15 King when the come out. For me going from the 96" to the HO 103" should be nice. If they go bigger in a year or 2 after I get a 15 I don't care.
There is much more to a Harley then how fast they are. As for Victory and Indian they are just Polaris products.
Thanks, well said. I should be happy enough with the 103" ho motor once I do the intake, exhaust and dyno tune.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:05 AM
twig
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Wally
Indian and Victory aren't competition......
About time someone spoke the truth!!!

Old 10-28-2013, 12:12 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I have had a 88, 96 and a 103. The 103 ran so much hotter than the 96 I could not imagine a 110. I think the 103 HP will be around awhile, who knows maybe they will come out with a entire new design that better incorporates water cooling.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:07 AM
13bob
Tourer

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
I have had a 88, 96 and a 103. The 103 ran so much hotter than the 96 I could not imagine a 110. I think the 103 HP will be around awhile, who knows maybe they will come out with a entire new design that better incorporates water cooling.
seems like a lot of folks think the 103" is going to be around for a while. I guess HD chose to stay at 103 instead of going more (even though they could have) with all the R&D they have done, so it looks like 103 will probably be around for a couple of years. If you follow the trend, HD has increased capacity only every few years or so, so I guess why would this new 103" be any different. I guess the question now is why didn't they go bigger?

Old 10-28-2013, 06:34 AM
skipperhd1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool 110 or 103

if you buy a 103 and want performance, you;ll have to pay! the motor is screwed down a lot as stock! when the 110 comes, and it will. it will need tuning also! good luck! cheers from montana

Old 10-28-2013, 06:45 AM
13bob
Tourer

Originally Posted by skipperhd1
if you buy a 103 and want performance, you;ll have to pay! the motor is screwed down a lot as stock! when the 110 comes, and it will. it will need tuning also! good luck! cheers from montana
How far off are we from getting the 110 as standard across the range? Will it be the old CVO 110 motor that has been around for a long time or a newer designed 110?

Quick Reply: 2014 HD 103 high output motor ?