Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

Reply
 
 
 
P
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-28-2013, 11:45 PM
Ride4Him's Avatar
Ride4Him Ride4Him is offline
One Of The Regulars
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 142
Tommy Allen Tommy_Allen_
Question 2014 Boom Audio! 6.5" Touch Screen Radio Issue

I was wondering if any other 2014 Ultra Classic Electra Glide owners, or anyone whom has the 6.5" Touch Screen with Navigation etc... had any issues with the radio making a popping sound or crackling sound while listening to the radio.



This will occur on any station and on FM or AM band. It does not happen all the time or constantly, but it does occur quit frequently while listening to any station.

When listening to iPod, MP3, or using USB I have not heard that same noise coming from the speakers.

It almost sounds like someone throwing small pebbles against a glass window.

I just wanted to see if I was the only one who experienced this on the new 2014 Ultra or other models.
__________________
Tommy
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-29-2013, 12:19 AM
imskier2's Avatar
imskier2 imskier2 is offline
Senior Rider
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 383
Default

There have been several threads on this issue. Try a search, I don't have a 2014 but have several threads on it.
__________________

2009 Ultra Smokey Gold/ Red Hot Sunglo
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-29-2013, 12:22 AM
'14UltraMan's Avatar
'14UltraMan '14UltraMan is offline
New Member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Zanesville, Ohio
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride4Him View Post
I was wondering if any other 2014 Ultra Classic Electra Glide owners, or anyone whom has the 6.5" Touch Screen with Navigation etc... had any issues with the radio making a popping sound or crackling sound while listening to the radio.



This will occur on any station and on FM or AM band. It does not happen all the time or constantly, but it does occur quit frequently while listening to any station.

When listening to iPod, MP3, or using USB I have not heard that same noise coming from the speakers.

It almost sounds like someone throwing small pebbles against a glass window.

I just wanted to see if I was the only one who experienced this on the new 2014 Ultra or other models.
I have not experienced this issue, but I primarily listen to my iPod or iPhone thru the bluetooth feature. I have read threads on here however that have made mention of eliminating the noise by going into setup and deactivating the intercom feature that apparently comes from the factory enabled. Might start there as a fix.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-29-2013, 12:25 AM
kh24's Avatar
kh24 kh24 is offline
One Of The Regulars
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oakhurst NJ
Posts: 265
Default

It does it a lot of the time on FM AM and weather band. The intercom fix was no help as mine was never enabled from the start. It is very annoying. I am assuming it must be some sort of RFI because it only happens when pulling in radio signals. If it was EMI, we would probably be hearing it all the time.
__________________
2014 Street Glide Special
2008 Night Train

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=153239&dateline=12858  23107
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-29-2013, 02:56 AM
Ride4Him's Avatar
Ride4Him Ride4Him is offline
One Of The Regulars
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 142
Tommy Allen Tommy_Allen_
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh24 View Post
It does it a lot of the time on FM AM and weather band. The intercom fix was no help as mine was never enabled from the start. It is very annoying. I am assuming it must be some sort of RFI because it only happens when pulling in radio signals. If it was EMI, we would probably be hearing it all the time.


I appreciate hearing that others have had similiar experiences, but just wonder when or if Harley Davidson Corporation will have something done to fix this issue anytime soon?
__________________
Tommy
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-29-2013, 03:57 AM
JDKJAG JDKJAG is offline
New Member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 14
Default

I have not had this issue, but would suggest checking your firmware version. The latest is 1.17.1.1 If you haven't updated the software, that might help.
__________________
14 FLHTK, stock
Mysterious Red Sunglo / Blackened Cayenne Sunglo
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-07-2014, 03:37 AM
Steven Brocklehurst Steven Brocklehurst is offline
New Member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 1
Default

Hi
Re the issue with popping radios as discussed, there is a s/ware update from HD at
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...bmLocale=en_US

which takes it to firmware 1.17.4 latest as of 15/1/14, this is supposed to address this issue.
Hope this helps.

Now for some help with my issue, same radio 6.5GT , screen illumination not being able to be increased in manual and goes too dark in auto to see when using navigation system during the day, happening intermittently but becoming far more frequent. It is as if the auto brightness function thinks it is night-time (dark) all the time. not sure where the ambient light sensor is to ensure it is clean. 2014 FLHTK Electra Glide Ultra Limited.

Thanks for your help if any one has any.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-07-2014, 05:09 AM
hanny's Avatar
hanny hanny is offline
Senior Rider
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: kansas
Posts: 473
Default

the update fixed the popping on mine (altho I haven't put a lot of miles on it since I did it)
The gps screen changes color at sundown which I don't like but I think you can change that in your setting.
If you look around in the settings for different things you might find what youre after....... of course if youre like me a spent an hour messing with mine,,,,LOL
__________________
'14 Glyde Special, "STRAPLESS" of course
Rear arnott air ride, lowered inch in front (free mod on the '14's) Alpine 300 watt amp, 6.75" polk's, cleaned up the rear end with yaffe tag and plasma rods for lights,Catless, V&H dual pipes, blue leds,, powder coated a lot of stuff myself, I had my stock wheels chromed just to name a few things

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-28-2014, 07:27 PM
jayb63 jayb63 is offline
New Member
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 3
Default

New to this forum, but found it by googling about the crackling in the radio. I just bought a 2014 Street Glide Special, and I am experiencing the same problem. Only in the radio band mode(AM/FM). When I use the Bluetooth feature and like media from my phone, no problems in sound. I actually thought I had a blown speaker. Unfortunate for all, but glad I'm not alone on this. Will get it back to the dealer ASAP. Thanks everyone
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-28-2014, 08:40 PM
dh2683's Avatar
dh2683 dh2683 is offline
CLUB MEMBER
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: North East Ohio
Posts: 1,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb63 View Post
New to this forum, but found it by googling about the crackling in the radio. I just bought a 2014 Street Glide Special, and I am experiencing the same problem. Only in the radio band mode(AM/FM). When I use the Bluetooth feature and like media from my phone, no problems in sound. I actually thought I had a blown speaker. Unfortunate for all, but glad I'm not alone on this. Will get it back to the dealer ASAP. Thanks everyone
Welcome to the Forum!!
You need to have the updated software installed for the radio.
You can either take it back to the dealer or do it yourself. Instructions are on HD web page. Pretty simple.
There are hundreds of posts on this on the forum already. The update fix's quite a few bugs in the infotainment system.
__________________


2005 Road King Classic (Gone)
2014 Street Glide Special Mysterious Red Sunglo
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:40 PM
 
 
 
P
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Snapping and popping on radio Pilotmedic New "Rushmore" Models 20 05-20-2014 08:24 PM
14 Ultra Limited FM stereo snapping/arcing sound Rockrivr1 New "Rushmore" Models 16 04-08-2014 04:17 PM
2014 Touch screen radio liam1953 Touring Models 4 03-21-2014 08:09 AM
2014 Boom Box Replaceable Screen Protector scottt Touring Models 4 11-01-2013 12:30 PM
CB cutting out audio dapster Audio Systems 4 06-25-2013 01:16 PM


Tags
boom audio, radio, radio issue, radio problem


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Join HDForums

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Sponsors

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 AM.


Internet Brands, Inc.