Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wired Headsets and CB????

Old 11-04-2013, 10:09 PM
TheLazyC
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wired Headsets and CB????

After picking up my 2014 Limited, I am really at a lost as to why HD is still putting in CBs and wired intercom systems on equipped bikes.

Who still uses CBs? Am I missing out on something?

And a wired headset for communication? Why not bluetooth? I feel like I am going backwards trying to find suitable headsets to add for myself and bride.

What setup are others using?

Old 11-04-2013, 10:15 PM
Ultra103
Club Member
Received 799 Likes on 432 Posts

I'm right there with you. CB as standard equipment on my bike, but it would cost the guy I rode to Vegas $1700 on his 1800 Goldwing to talk to me. Crazy when a good Bluetooth headset costs under $40. Where is the company capitalizing on the 'link'?

Old 11-04-2013, 11:08 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CBs were still standard on my 13 Limited but discontinued for 14.They're only usefull if you ride with a bunch of other guys with CBs or you like to talk to truckers.My 13 also came with headsets that work fine or at least one headset, which I thought was kind of stupid, I picked up another two in the forum classfieds.I may be wrong but I don't think any bikes out there come standard with wireless (bluetooth) intercom.I know when I bought my 13 I was looking at Goldwings and they were still hard wired headsets.The factory headsets are OK but really lack bass.On the plus side they're easy to install in a helmet and will plug right into your factory set up without purchasing any thing else.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:11 PM
TheLazyC
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SPECIAL ED
CBs were still standard on my 13 Limited but discontinued for 14.
My 2014 Limited has a CB, which is standard for the Limited.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:21 PM
Ultra103
Club Member
Received 799 Likes on 432 Posts

There has to be a monetary reason that the MoCo doesn't go full bore with Bluetooth technology. I guess I just don't get it.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:22 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I use the CB all the time.

But I'm an old oilpatch trucker.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:38 AM
Ultra Rider 07
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 290 Likes on 142 Posts

It's nice to have when your on a long trip with folks who also have it. Not that we jabber on like a couple OL ladies but if one of us has to use the head or needs a break. Then sometimes just listen to the truckers to pass the time. My wife and I do use the intercom when we are on long trips. Why it's not standard on the ultra anymore has to be about the money.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:04 AM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

With the Since dropping the EG Standard, they needed to put some room in the lineup between the entry {Ultra) and the top (Ltd). So they left stuff off the Ultra. As stated the cb is nice with a group. Good for road conditions and traffic or detours. With the Infotainment system, how much bluetooth could you have without confusing the bike as to whether you were listening to the radio, intercom, cb or whatever.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:52 AM
ADVNTR
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

The CB is very useful esp out west as it allows communication with the big trucks.

For example: we were trying to get thru St Louis and the trucker actually led us around the stopped traffic and to the other side of town.

or we wanted to pass the truck in the rain outside of GB KS on the 2 lane so i gave him a shout and he let me know when it was clear and slowed down so we could pass

or to tell the the truck who was going faster than me [2 lane] to please pass me because it was cccccold and i could not ride any faster

or the truck that told me to slow down as smokey was up ahead waiting with a radar gun

Old 11-05-2013, 06:00 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think compatibility might be the issue.Probably couldn't guarantee that the bluetooth would work with so many different helmets,phones, and GPS out there.Even the hard wired headsets don't work for everyone.I prefer the sound of a headset over the external speakers for music and my wife and I do use the intercom.I've never used the CB but it might be useful in an emergency situation if your cell didn't work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wired Headsets and CB????