Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Louder Fairing Speakers.. Which ones?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Ohio HD Guy
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Louder Fairing Speakers.. Which ones?

Need input on Louder and larger fairing speakers for my 2012 FLHTK. I am currently using the Hogtune Speakers with the Hogtune Amp. I also have the Hogtune Lower Fairing Speakers.

Any ideas??

Old 11-16-2013, 01:11 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

when comparing specs, the important spec is "sensitivity"

usually expressed as X db @ 1 watt @ 1 meter

the bigger number X the better.

87 dB is not great

92 is OK

some manufacturers do not use this common spec- and that is for a reason ( JandM)...their numbers suck

a 'watt' rating only indicates how much power the speakers will accept from the amp with out blowing- this has NOTHING to do with how much sound they produce

this would be kinda like comparing a incandescent and CFL bulb.
if both consume 7 watts...which will produce the most light ?

what will make speakers blow is to overload the amplifier- ask it to do too much and instead of producing a sine wave ( ac voltage), the tops and bottoms of the sine will be cut off "square wave"- this acts more like DC voltage
and will cause the speaker voice coil to go to the extremes of it's travel and stick there for a moment...perhaps long enough to burn the voicecoil- it has to keep moving to cool off

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 11-16-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:14 PM
PhoneGuy-MI
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest you spend some time in the audio portion of the forum and post this question over there.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio-systems-153/

Old 11-16-2013, 01:25 PM
MontyCop05
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PhoneGuy-MI
I would suggest you spend some time in the audio portion of the forum and post this question over there. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio-
systems-153/
Yes visit the audio forum. There are plenty of great speakers you can put in the fairing the best IMHO being the Biketronics 7P1s. However those speakers, and any other good 6.5 (Polk, Infinity for example) is going to want more power than your hogtunes amp can put to them.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:22 PM
campos
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through this not to long ago and decided to go with Hertz. I would look at either the Hertz or Focals. One thing to look at is their peak handling power. These speakers costs a little bit more but if you look at their peak handling power compared to others you'll see why these tend to cost more. I kept blowing speaker coils with all the other speakers I've tried. These Hertz sound great and can handle the power when turning up the volume. Definitely worth the money IMO

Old 11-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 146 Posts

Biggest thing is what are you willing to spend???

Old 11-16-2013, 05:22 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

I have a Limited Ultra also. I have 6 JL audio speakers on mine, and a JL Audio amp in the tourpak. If you don't want to spend money on a system like that, take a look at Biketronics, and get the Titan II speaker upgrade. Can get them only from Biketronics. They're good ones. I've had a few stereo upgrades, and if I didn't have this nice JL setup on mine, I'd go back to the Titans. Hogtunes was my very first stereo upgrade when I first had a fairing back in 09. You can do a whole lot better than Hogtunes. Also, I had the Arc Mini 125.2 amp, and it was a nice setup with the Titans. I just listen to the tunes --- I'm not a tech, but I heard from a few people here that the Arc amp was a good one.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:35 PM
TMOUT
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I lined the inside area of the outer fairing directly behind the speakers with Dynamat, and put four layers of polyfil around the magnets, and it's much louder now. Instead of 3/4 volume, 1/2 does just fine now. My 2 cents.....

Old 11-16-2013, 05:44 PM
wheelman38
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Hertz and fosgate amp work well on my scoot.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:52 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by PhoneGuy-MI
I would suggest you spend some time in the audio portion of the forum and post this question over there.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio-systems-153/
+2 I don't know what amps/ohms your amp puts/handles so have no real input except good 6.5" coax speakers are better than little 5" ones and ya need to listen to them before ya buy.

Quick Reply: Louder Fairing Speakers.. Which ones?