Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

14's Air Cleaners

Old 11-18-2013, 02:37 PM
dhermann43
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14's Air Cleaners

I'm considering Stage 1 Air Cleaner,

Is there any performance differences between the following kits
Stage 1 kit utilizing the stock cover
Screaming Eagle Ventilator kit
Newer ventilator kit
Agitator kit
Screaming Eagle heavy duty breather.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:18 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was told by my mechanic that the Heavy Breather will out flow most by just a bit. He said that until you get passed stage one with cams they will all flow more than the motor can use. When you get into big bore kits with ported and polished heads there might be a limitation on some of the more restricted AC. No proof of this just passing on what I was told by a trusted mechanic.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:05 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

K&N will come out with a replacement air cleaner that will go into the stock air cleaner
housing. I will get one and call it good, that will flow more air then a stock engine needs.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:10 PM
dhermann43
Cruiser

Originally Posted by OldPhat
K&N will come out with a replacement air cleaner that will go into the stock air cleaner housing. I will get one and call it good, that will flow more air then a stock engine needs.
And that will work with the stock back housing. Just plug and play. Because right now the only option is to remove the back of the stock AC and install the stage 1 kit which in my opinion looks like crap.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 11-18-2013, 07:21 PM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Webo
I was told by my mechanic that the Heavy Breather will out flow most by just a bit. He said that until you get passed stage one with cams they will all flow more than the motor can use. When you get into big bore kits with ported and polished heads there might be a limitation on some of the more restricted AC. No proof of this just passing on what I was told by a trusted mechanic.
Webo hit the nail on the head. So many people dump money into a/m air cleaners on engines that don't require it. Engines are basically air pumps. If the cams and exhaust can't push more air and fuel the air cleaner upgrade is a total waste of money.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:27 PM
Webo
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by OldPhat
K&N will come out with a replacement air cleaner that will go into the stock air cleaner
housing. I will get one and call it good, that will flow more air then a stock engine needs.
Key word here was stock bike. I don't have any hard numbers but I would be willing to bet that "4 Rineharts with VH Power Duals and say my SE Ventilator would make more power than the same exhaust with the stock AC setup with just a K&N filter. And if you ever do cams or big bore kit you would want a true high flow filter system. The stock AC has the one area to suck air in where a completely open AC like the Ventilator can suck in air everywhere. I say go with an open element filter from the beginning and your set with just about any build. Some of the AC are a real work of art IMHO but I went with reasonable price and good function...lol

Old 11-18-2013, 07:38 PM
dhermann43
Cruiser

Yes I like the ventilator you have. Could you post a pic of what it looks like on the throttle wire side. Does it cover up good.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:44 PM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 330 Likes on 251 Posts

Any A/C unit is better than Stock. Stock units are like sucking through a straw and your motor needs to breath better than that. As Webo mentioned, they all will perform well until you do that awesome build that requires anything but exceptional. putting an K&N filter in a stock housing, unless we are talking the '14 housing which has a nice "forced' opening on it, is not much of an improvement if your doing more than A/C. Alter the exhaust and all, you need more air, Any Stage 1 will do or better.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:48 PM
dhermann43
Cruiser

Originally Posted by GlidingJoe
Any A/C unit is better than Stock. Stock units are like sucking through a straw and your motor needs to breath better than that. As Webo mentioned, they all will perform well until you do that awesome build that requires anything but exceptional. putting an K&N filter in a stock housing, unless we are talking the '14 housing which has a nice "forced' opening on it, is not much of an improvement if your doing more than A/C. Alter the exhaust and all, you need more air, Any Stage 1 will do or better.
Yes I'm talking about adding a k&n to the 14 stock AC but still using the stock backing plate setup. But as far as I know they don't make that yet

Old 11-18-2013, 07:57 PM
Webo
Road Warrior

I think that removing the stock backing plate is what makes the biggest difference because that allows it to suck fresh air from any direction. If you went with say the Arlen Ness Big Sucker and used your factory cover that would allow much better air flow and still look factory to some degree. Anyway here are the pics you asked for. You can only see the wire just a bit on the left side. The Ventilator is oval so it covers the box up completely.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 14's Air Cleaners