Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drilling a 2014 Tourpak for the luggage rack pointers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 10:45 AM
rs87277
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Drilling a 2014 Tourpak for the luggage rack pointers?

Any advice before I go ahead and drill 4 holes in the tour pak for the luggage rack, i just dont wanna flake off a large area of paint....

Gonna use a new drill bit and high rpm on the drill.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:58 AM
cubalz
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Three things:
1. Tape area where you are going to drill. This will keep the paint from chipping

2. Use a spring loaded punch to make drill point. This will keep the bit from "walking"

3. Make initial small pilot hole first and then move up to larger bit from there

Good luck and have fun!

Old 11-20-2013, 11:10 AM
twincam47
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Measure 20 times. Walk off for 10 minutes and come back and measure another 20 times. You only drill it once, so make it count.

Good luck

Old 11-20-2013, 11:52 AM
ALUCARD19
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use a stepped unibit they work great, tape off the area to be drilled with blue painters tape it leaves no sticky residue. I have installed at least 6 racks and this is the best way, make sure you measure at least twice and then mark on the tape and place the rack on the marks and have a second person remeasure while you hold the rack in place to make sure it is even front to back and side to side. I'm a tool/die maker for 25+ years and i need it to always look perfect my wife says I'm just ****,LOL

Old 11-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Ultra T
Advanced

Originally Posted by cubalz
Three things:
1. Tape area where you are going to drill. This will keep the paint from chipping

2. Use a spring loaded punch to make drill point. This will keep the bit from "walking"

3. Make initial small pilot hole first and then move up to larger bit from there

Good luck and have fun!
What he said. I was scared to death to drill into my Tourpak but it was really easy and came out great!

Old 11-20-2013, 12:13 PM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,567 Likes on 2,621 Posts

Looks like there's holes already premarked on the INSIDE of the lid. They look pretty well centered to me. Check it.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:37 PM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BARACU
Looks like there's holes already premarked on the INSIDE of the lid. They look pretty well centered to me. Check it.
Tell me that is not so!!!!!!!! bike after bike I have agonized and measured over and over and now you tell me it is marked on the inside of the lid!

Old 11-20-2013, 01:59 PM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by UppercaseJC
Tell me that is not so!!!!!!!! bike after bike I have agonized and measured over and over and now you tell me it is marked on the inside of the lid!
I haven't gotten a rack yet....but when I do, I'll be looking real hard at the four dimples that are perfectly spaced around the indentation in the lid. Front to back they're spaced 8". Side to side is 12". Somebody check if it matches a rack.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:42 PM
jpk
6th Gear

Originally Posted by BARACU
I haven't gotten a rack yet....but when I do, I'll be looking real hard at the four dimples that are perfectly spaced around the indentation in the lid. Front to back they're spaced 8". Side to side is 12". Somebody check if it matches a rack.
Isn't that always they way!!! I have just ordered the top rack for my 2014 classic and had considered having the rack fitted when she has her first service, but if the dimples are spaced to fit the rack well I for one will be giving it a go.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:53 PM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by jpk
Isn't that always they way!!! I have just ordered the top rack for my 2014 classic and had considered having the rack fitted when she has her first service, but if the dimples are spaced to fit the rack well I for one will be giving it a go.
I'm going to guess that by marking the holes, they saved the dealers from buying new lids when they screw them up installing the rack. I made it easy...I just removed the Tourpack on my '14 Ultra.

Quick Reply: Drilling a 2014 Tourpak for the luggage rack pointers?