Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JRI rear shock installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 08:08 PM
osudvm
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile JRI rear shock installation

Hey guys, I had a real nice visit with Howard at Motorcycle Metal and he has determined the best shock for my riding style is the JRI B 13. He was extremely helpful, very informative and explained things very well to someone who knows very little about shocks. It was a great learning experience for me. He explained a little about installation and that he prefers to work with his customers with the install as opposed to having them go to the Harley dealership for installation. I am just a little worried about my skill set to do this on my own. I love my 2009 Ultra Classic and I do not want to mess her up. So my question to any of you who have installed JRI or Ohlins is it difficult to do? I have done a lot of YouTube searching for video installs and some of them make it look hard to do by yourself when you have to set the sag variance and then do adjustments etc. I am not being a wussy about it but just don't want to screw things up. I am ready to buy the shocks since I know they will be such a great improvement over the stock air shocks. So let me hear your opinions on the install, and also, if you have changed to the JRI shocks what is your impression of the ride improvement? Appreciate all of your help.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:13 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

It's very easy. Get the shocks, call Howard when you are ready to install. He loves this stuff. He will sit on the phone with you and talk you through the whole install if you want him to. Just put your phone on speaker and do what he says.

If you take it to the dealer they will just bolt them up in 10 minutes, charge you for a full hour of labor and send you on your way. They will not do the proper adjustments, set the sag, or anything else.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:13 PM
12hdrk
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by osudvm
Hey guys, I had a real nice visit with Howard at Motorcycle Metal and he has determined the best shock for my riding style is the JRI B 13. He was extremely helpful, very informative and explained things very well to someone who knows very little about shocks. It was a great learning experience for me. He explained a little about installation and that he prefers to work with his customers with the install as opposed to having them go to the Harley dealership for installation. I am just a little worried about my skill set to do this on my own. I love my 2009 Ultra Classic and I do not want to mess her up. So my question to any of you who have installed JRI or Ohlins is it difficult to do? I have done a lot of YouTube searching for video installs and some of them make it look hard to do by yourself when you have to set the sag variance and then do adjustments etc. I am not being a wussy about it but just don't want to screw things up. I am ready to buy the shocks since I know they will be such a great improvement over the stock air shocks. So let me hear your opinions on the install, and also, if you have changed to the JRI shocks what is your impression of the ride improvement? Appreciate all of your help.
It's about the easiest thing you can do on your bike. Seriously.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:22 PM
osudvm
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 12hdrk
It's about the easiest thing you can do on your bike. Seriously.
How do you like your JRIs?

Old 11-21-2013, 08:25 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Howard will walk you through it, and it couldn't be any easier.

I've got about 7,000 miles on my JRIs, and I'm pleased. I'm running 10 clicks on the sweep valves and the bike rides and handles great.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:36 AM
timvan
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very easy install, you will need this from harbor freight tools : http://www.harborfreight.com/24-inch...per-96509.html

and some washers that fit on the shock boss or bolts to shim the shocks, dont recall the size.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:50 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by timvan
Very easy install, you will need this from harbor freight tools : http://www.harborfreight.com/24-inch...per-96509.html

and some washers that fit on the shock boss or bolts to shim the shocks, dont recall the size.
And a jack to lift the bike off the ground......the perfect set up is a bike jack and a floor jack.

As far as spacers/washers, normally you don't need them, I didn't anyway.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:43 AM
12hdrk
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by osudvm

How do you like your JRIs?
Night and day vs the air shocks. You will now have a real suspension instead of just a damped pogo stick. 5000 miles so far. Great upgrade

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus