Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Missed the boat with the so called Infotainment Center.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default HD Missed the boat with the so called Infotainment Center.

The New "Infotainment Centre" is impressive to look at and my 80 year old father, i'm sure, would be totally impressed with it. My kids not so much.

At this time you can't easily replace the outrageously expensive unit with anything else. Sure it looks good if all you want is "Eye Candy". I don't see much for functionality. As far as I can tell the main purpose of this unit is the GPS and music; apparently it's not a very good either. Zumo's and smart phones have better proven options and seem to work better. As far as the stereo goes it appears to have great sound but getting music isn't as easy as I believe it should be.

Now if it were up to me to design a real "Infotainment Centre" here's what I'd do. I'd have a 6" screen, touch friendly, at least built-in 32 gb internal storage, bluetooth, and WIFI, all attached to a kick-azz stereo system with the CB Radio option. I'd also make the unit removable so I could take it into the Hotel room at night and use it to, I don't know, plan my trip for the next day, check the weather map, book a hotel room, surf the web, send, receive email, read a book, watch a movie or do some online banking. Actually, if you were so inclined, you could do all this at 70 MPH if you tethered it to say your IPhone and all this Wirelessly.

Wait a minute I can do all this now and I didn't have to invent a thing, and for less than $500.00. All you need is the Harley supplied H-K radio, Apple iPhone and the Mini iPad. Anyone with a '13 or older will do this.

This system would look pretty strange on a '14 beside the redundant Boom Box.

Just 2 cents for all it worth.

Last edited by Nute; 09-10-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:37 PM
rkcmike63
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nute
The New "Infotainment Centre" is impressive to look at and my 80 year old father, i'm sure, would be totally amazed to look at it. My kids not so much.

At this time you can't easily replace the outrageously expensive unit with anything else. Sure it looks good if all you want is "Eye Candy". I don't see much for functionality. As far as I can tell the main purpose of this unit is the GPS and music apparently it's not a very good either. Zumo's and smart phones have a better options and seem to work better. As far as the stereo goes it appears to have great sound but getting music isn't as easy as I believe it should be.

Now if it were up to me to design a real "Infotainment Centre" here's what I'd do. I'd have a 6" screen, touch friendly, at least a built-in 32 gb internal storage, bluetooth, and WIFI attached to a kick-azz stereo system with the CB Radio option. I'd also make the unit removable so I could take it into the Hotel room at night and use it to, I don't know, plan my trip for the next day, check the weather map, book a hotel room, surf the web, send, receive email, read a book, watch a movie or just complete some stuff for work. Actually, if you were so inclined, you could do all this at 70 MPH if you tethered it to say your IPhone and all this Wirelessly.

Wait a minute I can do all this now and I didn't have to invent a thing, and for less than $500.00. All you need is the Harley supplied H-K radio, Apple iPhone and the Mini iPad. Anyone with a '13 or older will do this.

This system would look pretty strange on a '14 beside the redundant Boom Box.

Just 2 cents for all it worth.

I hear ya man! I was not that impressed either.. Why not make it ipad or android tab compatible? Most new releases are not providing the wow factor... Everyone wants to have their own version... Why don't they work with existing technology and make it much more compatible.. Guess they are scared they may lose some money or control.... I still love my 2002 RKC and I have made it my own.. Not ready to start over!
Ride safe,
Mike

Old 09-10-2013, 10:40 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Who makes them?

Old 09-10-2013, 10:54 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

Not into all that 'STUFF'. Actually, it's 'Distracting Driving'. It's the same as someone in a car doing the same thing, but you're on a motorcycle. Don't tell yourself it's different, because it's not. But again, your bike & your choice.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:02 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nute
I'd also make the unit removable so I could take it into the Hotel room at night and use it...
You mean like the GARMIN unit on the BMW K1600GTL?

Old 09-10-2013, 11:02 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

Speaking of which, have you seen the price of these systems and navigation systems in cars lately? Here is why Im putting in my two cents, when ever you buy a computer or like my Imac and iPad, they are outdated within a couple of months if not a year. I cant see buying a Harley with the "infotainment system" because it will be outdated within a year and then what? Don't get me wrong, these computers and systems and gagets are really neat, but I can throw my ipad away and get a new one every couple years, but a 25K Harley? I cant afford to throw that away to update the infotainment system.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:03 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I guess some missed the door were the Ipod, phone or any other device can be hooked into. Or the fact that the advanced voice recognition software can change the spoken word into text to send on the phone for total hands free operation. Your phone is connected into the system and does not need blue tooth.

Ask you car to find the "twisty" route to your destination. HD's system does.

Read more about what it has before you talk about something. Like the Limited comes std. with CB and optional on the Ultra.

Last edited by lh4x4; 09-11-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:14 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Garmin has a new zumo with the twisties road option.
Has anyone tried using the GPS while the motorcycle is in motion? I had a 2007 GW trike that had a built in GPS, from Garmin, the controls were lock when the bike was moving, also the GPS unit itself was very limited...my Zumo 660 is far better than that one was.

Just wondering about the HD unit, if the user can use it while moving...not just some in or out..

Old 09-11-2013, 12:23 AM
bingram1
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes you can use it while moving. I used it this last weekend going up north. I knew about where my hotel was but wasnt sure so I hit POI and found my hotel and had it direct me to it. You of course have to "agree" that you will not let it distract you while your driving when the screen first comes up when you turn the bike on.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:32 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

As for music being not as easy to get as it should be, can't I just plug my iPhone into the port or pair via Bluetooth and have access to my ITunes, Pandora, Spotify, podcasts and Google Maps if I don't like the GPS in the dash?

Quick Reply: HD Missed the boat with the so called Infotainment Center.