Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Fuel ratio after smart tuning

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 05:31 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Air Fuel ratio after smart tuning

I guess its a little slow in the Tuning forum because I cant get an answer over there. Anyway after doing several Smart tuning runs and merging the data with the map and doing it again to try and get values for all the cells in the VE tables that I can I loaded the tuned map. I was looking at this map and noticed that all my air fuel ratio values have changed to 14.1 or 14.3. Originally the dealer loaded the base map and did a few smart tuning runs when the exhaust and air cleaner were installed and the air fuel ratios were anywhere from 12.5 at 100% throttle to 14.1 at 0%. Now this map that has several smart tuning runs on it has mostly 14.3. Does smart tuning change the air fuel ratio? Should I go back into the tuned map and reset my air fuel ratios back to what they originally were, 12.5 to 14.1 values? This just seems to lean to me for the bike to run cool.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:29 PM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

You don't mention which runner you are using, but based on your signature I assume you are using an HD SEPST. I know nothing about that runner, but I do know in the PowerVision when you do running runs the software changes your AFR so that the stock O2 sensors can be utilized. Once Tuning runs are complete and running is exited the PowerVision restores your AFR to their original settings. That may be the case with the SEPST too.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:14 PM
Webo
Road Warrior

Yes the SEPST does change everything to 14.6 while doing the smart tune but this is the AF settings after loading the map not in smart tune mode with the changes already applied.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:17 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Originally Posted by Webo
Yes the SEPST does change everything to 14.6 while doing the smart tune but this is the AF settings after loading the map not in smart tune mode with the changes already applied.
The Sepst does not change the AFR table when you flash in normal, not smart tune mode. smart tune changes the VE tables when you apply.

did you save the dealer flash, then use that to smartune with, or did you flash an original tune?

Old 12-01-2013, 12:01 AM
Webo
Road Warrior

I started by saving the dealer installed map using a new name. I then loaded this map and checked both boxes to allow smart tuning. I recorded data and updated this map with the collected data and saved as a new name so I would have both files. I then loaded the new map into the bike with both boxes checked again and collected more data. I then updated this map with the recorded data and saved as a new name again. I did this three times and then loaded the final map into the bike with just the "Reset Adaptive fuel" box checked. Then I started comparing the original map to the latest tuned map and noticed that the tuned map had different Air Fuel ratio values. This means the collected data changed the AF table because I did not. I assume I need to now go back in and change the Air Fuel table back to the original values so it will use the VE tables to reach these desired values? I also noticed that the timing tables have changed some after doing the smart tune runs compared to the original map. Does this sound right? Here is a screen shot of the AF table. Left side is the tuned map and the right side is the original map the bike had in it after the dealer did some limited smart tunes.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:25 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member

The one all red 14.3 looks like a smart tune flash. The second is your final flash. correct so far?
I would like you to compare AFR tables original and last flashed with the lambda button, not the 14.3 selected.
I have never had either AFR table or spark tables changed by tuner. However the spark table also gets changed when you flash a smart tune. are you sure you are not comparing a recovered dealer flash file that was left in the VCI with the smartune file. that would explain the changes

Old 12-01-2013, 12:32 AM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

If you want to send me a PM with your email I will send you a map that has worked well on a couple SGS. I can't attach the map here as it is too large. Give it a try and see what you think. In the email tell me what it is for to keep me on the right track.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:37 AM
Webo
Road Warrior

The table on the left is the result of three smart tune runs that I then flashed back into the bike with only the reset adaptive fuel checked. The right is the map that was in the bike when I got it from the dealer after they tuned it for stage one that I saved so I could always go back to stock. I did start my tuning using a copy of the original map that was in the bike when I got it back from the dealer after they tuned it.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:45 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Webo
The table on the left is the result of three smart tune runs that I then flashed back into the bike with only the reset adaptive fuel checked. The right is the map that was in the bike when I got it from the dealer after they tuned it for stage one that I saved so I could always go back to stock. I did start my tuning using a copy of the original map that was in the bike when I got it back from the dealer after they tuned it.
OK, you have been working with a smart tune file which explains the changed AFR & timing tables from the dealer flash,
open the dealer file and apply the three data runs you have done, you can do all at one time, update the VE, then save it as new name. flash the bike without smart tune checked and have a ride. The data collected will still be good to use

Old 12-01-2013, 12:53 AM
Webo
Road Warrior

As a test I just opened the map and applied the first smart tune run and then saved it as TEST and the AF values were still as originally set. I'm not real sure were I must have went wrong to get those values changed..lol.. Since I changed the file name after each smart tune run I don't think I can apply all the smart tune data to one map because the file name when the data was collected would be different for each run. I think I'm going to reload my original map and collect new data to insure that the AF table doesn't change. I must have goofed some where during the three runs.

Quick Reply: Air Fuel ratio after smart tuning