Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metzeler rear tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 03:25 PM
cupcars
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Metzeler rear tire wear

Metzeler Marathon ME880 rear 200/50-ZR17 M/C 75W Steel Radial w/ dyna beads for balance mounted on a Hogpro Torque 7 wheel.

I've always ran 40 to 42 psi in this tire. I noticed at 3500 miles that the center was flat spotting and basically wore out. These pics are at about 4000 miles. I took the wheel off of the bike because I've ordered a Michelin Commander II 200/55-ZR17 tire to replace it with. Not sure why the tire flat spotted, I do have a trunk and my wife rides on the back of the bike 95% of the time but she is small and the trunk has very little weight in it. Anyone else have this kind of wear with Metzelers?

I have a ME880 200/50-18 on my other bike with about 5000 miles and it still looks brand new.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:28 PM
fatboy slim
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is NORMAL wear for someone that rides 2 up a lot and uses a lot of throttle and too much rear brake.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:37 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

From looking at it I'd say your running with too much psi. You should see a 10% increase in psi when warm. if your not seeing 10% the sidewalls are not flexing enough for a proper contact patch

Old 12-01-2013, 03:45 PM
cupcars
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fatboy slim
This is NORMAL wear for someone that rides 2 up a lot and uses a lot of throttle and too much rear brake.
I don't use a lot of throttle and I mainly use the front brake for stopping. I've never broke the tires loose on this bike when taking off.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:49 PM
cupcars
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ynots
From looking at it I'd say your running with too much psi. You should see a 10% increase in psi when warm. if your not seeing 10% the sidewalls are not flexing enough for a proper contact patch
40 to 42 psi has never been considered to much for this rear wheel/tire setup. I check the tire pressure at least 3 times a month and it rarely needs an adjustment.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:56 PM
fatboy slim
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cupcars
I don't use a lot of throttle and I mainly use the front brake for stopping. I've never broke the tires loose on this bike when taking off.
You don't need to break lose to have high wear. Just more than average acceleration and two up riding.

Just face up to the fact the you've worn it out and get a new one.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:10 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by cupcars
40 to 42 psi has never been considered to much for this rear wheel/tire setup. I check the tire pressure at least 3 times a month and it rarely needs an adjustment.
Have you ever checked it before and after a long ride? The center of that tire is really squared off and looks like it was over inflated. Another thing to take under consideration is the accuracy of your tire gauge.

edit: added pic

Attached Thumbnails Metzeler rear tire wear-img_2540-copy.jpg  

Last edited by ynots; 12-01-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:26 PM
DinoM
Tourer
Received 69 Likes on 39 Posts

I've got a similar issue with the 880 on the back of my '05. Only mine is scalloping, and, I've got about 8K miles on it. Stock wheel, running it at recommended PSI (40), and riding 2 up about 50% of the time.
Besides the scalloping, the tire is completely worn out which is about normal for this much mileage from what I'm told. I think I might either go back to Dunlop or try an Avon next time.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:30 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by DinoM
I think I might either go back to Dunlop or try an Avon next time.
I love Avons, but if you get one DO check the correct pressure, on their website. They tend to use higher pressures than stock. That comment applies to any other tyre brand except stock.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:45 PM
cupcars
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fatboy slim
You don't need to break lose to have high wear. Just more than average acceleration and two up riding.

Just face up to the fact the you've worn it out and get a new one.
Yeah, I've already faced the fact and I have a new tire on the way. It is not normal for a rear tire to only last 4000 miles. I'm only asking if anyone else has had this problem with this tire at this mileage on this type of bike. The people I ride with are getting a hell of a lot more mileage on their rear tires. Most of them are running the factory type Dunlops and Metzelers on factory rims (16"). The Metzeler on my other bike has at least 5000 miles with little wear and it has mainly 2 up riding also. I have always liked Metzeler tires but now I would have a hard time buying another one. Thank you for your comments.

Quick Reply: Metzeler rear tire wear