Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head pipe cracked-keep jackpots?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 11:36 PM
Munkee
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Head pipe cracked-keep jackpots?

I have a 07 SG that has a crack beyond repair. I recently put on some Jackpot slip ons which are intended to work with stock head pipe or aftermarket pipe with crossover from what I read.

The fullsac true dual conversion surely looks good for a budget replacement. So besides finding a stock head pipe that is prone to cracking, is my only other option under $200, to go full sac and sell jackpots for other slip ons?

I guess I'm curious if its just not ideal to pair true duals with jackpots or if its more than that. I've read one person say the rear cylinder and left muffler would heat up due to increase in flow to muffler. Any truth? Anyone with jackpots and TD's want to chime in?

Old 12-03-2013, 11:40 PM
pacemakertom
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

I had the fullsac dual pipe on my 04 roadking. The heat on the left side was double what is was before the swap. I also had the fm 4-1/2 jackpots. Nice sound but the heat was nuts.

If I still had the bike, I would have gone another way.

Tom

Old 12-03-2013, 11:51 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

alot of the stock pipes do crack at the Y joint- this is sometimes a result of the owner banging on the slip ons, trying to get them off...or back on.

easily welded, easy to replace w/ cheap take offs.

you may be able to save a few bucks here.

if true duals is what you gotta have...the $4 freeze plug conversion works.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-04-2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:39 AM
Munkee
Tourer

My father is a welder but this crack is pretty narly in shape and actually runs down the pipe as well. even he recommended to let them go instead of trying to fix.

Maybe I should add its in two pieces now. Maybe I should change the thread title. Haha.

I am looking to score a stock set though. Not hits yet.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:42 AM
Munkee
Tourer

Originally Posted by pacemakertom
I had the fullsac dual pipe on my 04 roadking. The heat on the left side was double what is was before the swap. I also had the fm 4-1/2 jackpots. Nice sound but the heat was nuts.

If I still had the bike, I would have gone another way.

Tom
Dang. That sucks. But it does help cement my idea to find stock pipes because i really like my jackpots. I like rineharts too but then I'm basically going to have to give away my jackpots to get rid of them.

thanks for your input.

Last edited by Munkee; 12-04-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:47 AM
orthsj
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Munkee
Dang. That sucks. But it does help cement my idea to find stock pipes because i really like my jackpots. I like rineharts too but then I'm basically going to have to give away my jackpots to get rid of them.

thanks for your input.
I've got a set of factory headpipes off my 07 FLHTC. They're in good condition with heat shields. I'll sell them *cheap*. Let me know.

Steve

Old 12-04-2013, 02:19 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

there you go, cheap is good...

your Dad certainly knows better than I do...he has them in hand and he's a welder!

good luck

Mike

Old 12-04-2013, 10:54 AM
Munkee
Tourer

Originally Posted by orthsj
I've got a set of factory headpipes off my 07 FLHTC. They're in good condition with heat shields. I'll sell them *cheap*. Let me know.

Steve
I'm listening. Let's try and work something out. Please PM me.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:48 AM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 304 Posts

I had my head pipe crack last summer ('11) and replaced it with a set of Vance and Hines True Duals and put the same Rinehart slip-ons back on. There was a nice bump in power (seat of the pants) but as said earlier regarding some of the other headers, the heat increase is pretty dramatic on the left side and seems even to have increased on the right side. Go figure.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

07 SG - I had 2 rear Y pipes crack within the first year I owned it, the cause according to HD was extreme heat & replaced under warranty. When the 3rd one cracked, I put on V&H Duals, it definately reduced the heat froom the rear exhaust & no more issues. I do recommend kicking the stock exhaust to the curb...

Quick Reply: Head pipe cracked-keep jackpots?